Liked: 53

Default MZR Legal In Club Racing?

Does anybody know if the Van Diemen car in USF2000 spec (MZR and 5 speed sequential) is legal in FC yet? Or any conversations of it becoming legal to have these cars help fill up this class with record low entry number?

With the new runoff qualifications being released can basically guarantee me to be there with at least 1 of these if they are legal.
    Group-A Racing
    Blue Marble Cocktails Radical Cup & Exclusive North East Radical Sports Car Dealer
    (631) 974-4379
    www.GroupARacingTeam.com

Liked: 126

I've heard of discussions, but as far as I know not legal yet. Bob Wright's series does, and he basically pulled the other series rulebook. I'm looking at picking up one of these cars soon.

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 99

I would take a guess that there is about 0% chance they will be legal for club in 2017.
    Last edited by NPalacioM3; 11.15.16 at 6:00 PM.
    -Nick

Liked: 799

Quote Originally Posted by RobLav View Post
    ... Bob Wright's series does...
    Is that a given, or an ongoing discussion point?

Liked: 99

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
    Is that a given, or an ongoing discussion point?
    They are allowed in F2KCS.
    -Nick

Liked: 96
    "I love the smell of race fuel in the morning. It smells like victory!"
    Barry Wilcock
    Pit Crew: Tumenas Motorsports/Houndspeed, Fat Boy Racing

Going to bump this up to see what’s the latest on this topic
    Group-A Racing
    Blue Marble Cocktails Radical Cup & Exclusive North East Radical Sports Car Dealer
    (631) 974-4379
    www.GroupARacingTeam.com

Liked: 179

Jonathan,

There was some discussion on this subject last year and I had the same feelings you do, that the class could use an injection of these cars. I think you would need to enlist the help of Bob Wright and his group and also convince the rule makers of SCCA that these cars could be integrated into the class.

Bottom line is this class as a whole is struggling, and while there are good regional series running (i.e. GLC, SF2000, Pacific and NWFC) and now the F2000 pro series which counts toward a race to enter the runoffs, something needs to be done to get cars out there. Just running regional and F2000 is not going to help the class when the only thing that counts toward National Status is to run Majors. So not sure what the answer is and how to get this thing going.

Here was the post from last year -
    https://www.apexspeed.com/forums/sho...ity-for-Future

Brian

That is what figured that situation was at the moment. I saw the runoffs is at VIR for 2019, so it peaked my interest for atleast a moment since I still have this basically brand new car.
    Group-A Racing
    (631) 974-4379
    www.GroupARacingTeam.com

11. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 110

As a Zetec owner have to agree with Brian on this. There is a good supply of newer, discount priced cars available that should be running with us. My late model VanDieman is 16 years old and the Zetec has been out of production for about 15 years now, at some point we need to go forward.

Liked: 20

Typical SCCA BS, wont allow it . We would also run VIR runoffs if MZR allowed . From what I hear because it is a spec car not allowed in FC . They say cant police it. SCCA and FRP have data from 2 race weekends last season from both Zeteks and Mazdas. SCCA was to make a announcement at last years runoffs about MZRs still nothing. Look at FRP results cars about as equal as can be.

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Write the CRB about including the MZR with appropriate adjustments to keep them in line with the Ztec.

Then hound them to get something done in time for the guys who run them to qualify for the Runoffs. Then turn out in large numbers as soon as allowed in FC.

The part about getting something done in time will be the kicker I think.

But why have all these perfectly good cars not racing because of a little thing like rules.

When they want to the CRB has been known to move pretty fast.

Liked: 59

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demeter View Post
    Write the CRB about including the MZR with appropriate adjustments to keep them in line with the Ztec.

Then hound them to get something done in time for the guys who run them to qualify for the Runoffs. Then turn out in large numbers as soon as allowed in FC.

The part about getting something done in time will be the kicker I think.

But why have all these perfectly good cars not racing because of a little thing like rules.

When they want to the CRB has been known to move pretty fast.
    It makes perfect sense to run the MZR in FC, but convincing the CRB to allow it is another story. Bob Wright suggested that a couple of years ago and was turned down flat. Now the MZR is being used in FE2, so I suspect there is no interest from the SCCA to also allow the engine to run in FC.

Liked: 1

Default why help mazda??

Quote Originally Posted by Lyngengr View Post
    It makes perfect sense to run the MZR in FC, but convincing the CRB to allow it is another story. Bob Wright suggested that a couple of years ago and was turned down flat. Now the MZR is being used in FE2, so I suspect there is no interest from the SCCA to also allow the engine to run in FC.

4 years ago when I had a pinto and wanted a Honda no o
    ne helped us so why should we
    help mazda now?? convert to zetec like we did quit whining

Liked: 278

Quote Originally Posted by tahoez View Post
    4 years ago when I had a pinto and wanted a Honda no o
    ne helped us so why should we
    help mazda now?? convert to zetec like we did quit whining
    It's not "helping Mazda", it is helping competitors and the class

18. The following members LIKED this post:

Why would anyone ever want to convert to Zetec? The engine is LONG out of production.

For anyone "in the know", what year did the Pinto become the competitive engine in FC? 1990 or so? If so, the Zetec is now approaching the lifetime of the Pinto. As painful as it is, it's probably time for a modern FC engine in the formula.

MZR? K20Z? Both?

On the transaxle side of things, isn't it time to modernize?

A perfect example of lack of SCCA club management exists here. FE management decided to be proactive and updated the package. Where's the management of FC? FA?

20. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 977

Rob,

You might want to read the GCR before posting. See section 9.1.1.B.17.

It is my understanding that the update kit for the FE2 (engine/gearbox) is approximately $24k. The FE1 engine/gearbox will no longer be permitted in FE after 12-31-2018 per Enterprises and is certainly not competitive with the FE2 update.

John

Thanks John,
    But that's my point. Concur $24K is a tough nut to swallow all at once. But for FC, it's past time to allow 5 speed boxes. As you know, the LD200 can be run as a 5 speed... and include another engine (or two) and other 5 speed boxes like the JFR/FTR/SADEV.

The Mazda MZR with the oval restrictor is proven to work in relative parity. And the K20Z is another option. At least that engine is still in production.

23. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 1

Default scca

Thanks John,
    But that's my point. Concur $24K is a tough nut to swallow all at once. But for FC, it's past time to allow 5 speed boxes. As you know, the LD200 can be run as a 5 speed... and include another engine (or two) and other 5 speed boxes like the JFR/FTR/SADEV.

The Mazda MZR with the oval restrictor is proven to work in relative parity. And the K20Z is another option. At least that engine is still in production.
    like I said at the laguna runoffs head of Honda racing promised we would have a Honda in 2015 never happened I wrote board that previous year and belived the bs passed on a great zetec deal to convert Honda has f4 and mazda has fe they will never let those to engine in fc that's why I converted last year to zetec yes there all close enough to regulate hp but scca wont allow for above reasons I feel for you with a car you cant race n the runoffs

Default Honda Engines in FC?

Thanks John,

The MZR is a good option and it is used in numerous other classes like P1 besides FE2. The cost to switch and commonality with FE2 may be problems. I like the suggestion of going with a Honda engine, like the K20 series, and a 5-speed gearbox. Something like the F4 engine/gearbox maybe? The engine in F4 is not purchased, but leased, so the costs are reasonable. Going the Honda route would be similar to what was done with FF. Lots of positives with this approach.

Liked: 601

[QUOTE=RobLav;576220]. As you know, the LD200 can be run as a 5 speed... [QUOTE]

The conversion of an LD200 to a five speed is not as simple, nor cheep as that of a Mk8/9.
    There are a couple of different castings required, hubs, layshaft and pinion shaft, to name a few.
    Not an inexpensive proposition.
    And, I'm not sure of the availability of some of those 5 speed items.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Liked: 30

Default Mazda to FC

Contributing Member Terry Hanushek's Avatar

Liked: 601

Default Mzr

Still not legal for the GLC Series.
    So those of you with a Pinto or Zetec, who's input from SCCA on this was never asked, not to worry.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Thread Information