Contributing Member
    Liked: 471

Default 4th gear in a Vee

Folks,

A fellow racer who races FV at Mission was asking whether there were any tracks where the Vee actually gets into top gear.

I'm assuming that at the Runoffs at Daytona it would have been in use, but where else?

Contributing Member
    Liked: 83

I don't believe there is a track where we don't get into 4th gear. It's pretty much 3rd & 4th at all tracks - in the US, anyway.

Liked: 18

Alan, you've driven a vee... (same car I put into the 18's at mission ) I'm almost positive you've shifted into fourth a couple times when you drove?

If you're asking about hitting the top of fourth, I have no experience of such a thing in my short stint in a vee
    Robbie Arthur FV #67

Liked: 59

3rd and 4th, at some tracks like the ridge and Spokane, only down to 3rd twice. At the end of the long straights in 4th, I'll see 5500 at most.

Liked: 210

I know absolutely nothing about Vee racing, but aren't there two different transmissions available for the Vee's? A 'long box' and a 'short box'?

Perhaps Alan's friend has the wrong 'standard' box in his car.

I have no idea what I"m talking about so forgive me.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4353

4th gear is the predominant gear that is used in a FV, probably averaging 80% of the time. Some tracks are 100%. Most tracks have 2 or 3 slow corners that will require brief use of 3rd gear.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

7. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 83

Quote Originally Posted by rickb99 View Post
    I know absolutely nothing about Vee racing, but aren't there two different transmissions available for the Vee's? A 'long box' and a 'short box'?

Perhaps Alan's friend has the wrong 'standard' box in his car.

I have no idea what I"m talking about so forgive me.
    This is true, but the 'long box' vs. 'short box' are only about 6% different in gearing, and doesn't change that you are predominantly in 4th gear at most circuits.

Liked: 16

Quote Originally Posted by Jphoenix View Post
    3rd and 4th, at some tracks like the ridge and Spokane, only down to 3rd twice. At the end of the long straights in 4th, I'll see 5500 at most.
    Unless you are running a fan, there is something wrong with your motor if you only see 5500 at the end of the Spokane or Seattle straight. I used to see 6500 by myself in Seattle, 6750 with a draft at Seattle.
    Stephen Saslow

Liked: 5

Default Wrong 4th?

Is it possible the car in question has a 0.82 fourth instead of 0.89? This could explain not being able to use fourth. I suggest checking the ratios.

Thread Information