Liked: 4

Default Anyone using a new R1 motor in an FB?

The 2015+ motor?

Any oiling concerns/ issues?
    Or other hurtles when putting it in a 4 wheeled vehicle?

Liked: 18

I am guessing hacking in to the 6-axis IMU could prove to be the real challenge.

Contributing Member Mike Devins's Avatar
    Liked: 29

Same issue with the BMW.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 9

Mike I thought you have solve the bmw ecu? bobo the large

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Mike Devins's Avatar
    Liked: 29

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Wheless View Post
    Mike I thought you have solve the bmw ecu? bobo the large
    Fixed it with a MOTEC M130 - the OEM ECU was not feasible.

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

It is my understanding that the R1 engines power and torque figures are really good for putting power down to a motorcycles small rear tire contact patch, and therefore not really a good engine for our purposes, which sees near full throttle for a vast majority of a lap as opposed to a motorcycle.
    Top end HP is the be all and end all of FB.

Liked: 2

Default engine

Quote Originally Posted by glenn cooper View Post
    It is my understanding that the R1 engines power and torque figures are really good for putting power down to a motorcycles small rear tire contact patch, and therefore not really a good engine for our purposes, which sees near full throttle for a vast majority of a lap as opposed to a motorcycle.
    Top end HP is the be all and end all of FB.
    Forgive me for saying this, I am new to this sport and have been lurking for a minute. Also I already know you are a vet to this sport as well.

But your statement, I don't understand. I have been riding superbikes for sometime, and R1 engines are more then capable of pushing a Formula1000. What am I missing? How is a Yammy differ from a Suzuki block? Thanks.

Liked: 0

Default crossplane crankshaft

Quote Originally Posted by OCinHawaii View Post
    Forgive me for saying this, I am new to this sport and have been lurking for a minute. Also I already know you are a vet to this sport as well.

But your statement, I don't understand. I have been riding superbikes for sometime, and R1 engines are more then capable of pushing a Formula1000. What am I missing? How is a Yammy differ from a Suzuki block? Thanks.
    The cross plane crankshaft (where each throw is 90 degrees from the next) and introduced in 2009 was touted as being less traction demanding than the typical in-line four cylinder and because of the design imbalance has to run a balance shaft and heavier crank weights. The theory (or advertising) was that the standard design made for power impulses that happened with too much regularity and that the resultant power band challenged the traction of the skinny (by four wheeled standards) traction patch. One could argue the engineering reasoning and the additional strength required by the crankcases (and crankshaft) to handle the imbalance. Still Yamaha has had remarkable success with their design in MotoGP. Over the last 10 years.

When the engine was first introduced in production form I commissioned GDR to get a couple of R-1 engines up to par with the currently available modified GSXR. He came close to succeeding but while close to the same HP of a modified GSXR the weight of the R-1 package was a good 20 lbs. heavier. My testing indicated that running the R-1 as a wet sump (even with considerable modification) lowered the engine's survivability. I ended up running a great dry sump design but that made an already heavy engine even heavier. That was 2009. The current engine appears to be able to run with just about anything else and may have the best engine electronics available for a street bike. That system works wonderfully for a two wheeled vehicle but is a severe hinderance in trying to get any of the cool features to add performance in a four wheeled design.

Hasty Horn

This electronic safety package is becoming omnipresent in all of the 1000cc super bike engine's. Good for bikes bad for our use, or maybe not bad just difficult.

Hasty Horn

Thread Information