Senior Member Diamond Level Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 93

Default Brake Pedal Motion Ratio

Lets assume that I am using 3/4" master cylinders for both the front and rear of my FV. Does anyone have an approximate pedal motion ratio?

I am thinking somewhere between 4:1 and 6:1
    Scott

Classifieds Super License HayesCages's Avatar
    Liked: 180

We've always used 5/8" front and 3/4" rear masters. Wouldn't the ratio depend upon where the pushrod pivot is located in relation to the lower pivot on the pedal as well?
    Lawrence Hayes
    Hayes Cages, LLC
    Sagle, ID.

Quote Originally Posted by HayesCages View Post
    We've always used 5/8" front and 3/4" rear masters. Wouldn't the ratio depend upon where the pushrod pivot is located in relation to the lower pivot on the pedal as well?
    Yes, that is exactly the information I am looking for. The ratio between the pedal pivot, master cylinder drive rod, and the end of the pedal where the foot pressure is applied.
    Scott

Classifieds Super License HayesCages's Avatar
    Liked: 180

I think the last pedal we made was 2.5" from lower pivot to pushrod pivot and about 9" tall over-all.
    Lawrence Hayes
    Hayes Cages, LLC
    Sagle, ID.

Liked: 5

Default Try Tilton

The Tilton website has drawings of the pedals, cylinder mounts, etc. Lots of good info there.

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 83

My cars have brake elver ratios of 2.45 and 3.0, and other people's fees I've asked have as high as 3.5. I have the 3/4" rear & 5/8" front master cylinder combo.

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Formula Cars View Post
    Lets assume that I am using 3/4" master cylinders for both the front and rear of my FV. Does anyone have an approximate pedal motion ratio?

I am thinking somewhere between 4:1 and 6:1

As long as you can get in the foot box and m/c mounts you are working with. Are you starting with a clean slate?

My FV originally had this horrible brake pedal assembly that somebody grafted additional height on the pedal and it was still less than 3:1. I couldn't lock those tires up if I tried. I bought a Willwood 6:1 floor mount pedal and had to cut a bit over 1" off the pedal height, to get it to fit in the footbox. That ended up giving me about 5.29:1 and while a huge improvement....I still felt like I could tolerate more travel/leverage/modulation.

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl DeArman View Post
    As long as you can get in the foot box and m/c mounts you are working with. Are you starting with a clean slate?

My FV originally had this horrible brake pedal assembly that somebody grafted additional height on the pedal and it was still less than 3:1. I couldn't lock those tires up if I tried. I bought a Willwood 6:1 floor mount pedal and had to cut a bit over 1" off the pedal height, to get it to fit in the footbox. That ended up giving me about 5.29:1 and while a huge improvement....I still felt like I could tolerate more travel/leverage/modulation.
    Daryl, do you remember what size master cylinders you had with this set up?
    Scott

Thread Information