Thread: Rear Axle

Liked: 3

Default Rear Axle

Who is making rear axles for the F600 cars? Seems to be that no one is openly selling them. Also why are aluminum rear axles not allowed into F600? The current aluminum axles available have been around for years and are proven quality. Plus parts are "off the shelf" type availability.

Jordan Wickert

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 896

Quote Originally Posted by Jbomb151 View Post
    Who is making rear axles for the F600 cars? Seems to be that no one is openly selling them. Also why are aluminum rear axles not allowed into F600? The current aluminum axles available have been around for years and are proven quality. Plus parts are "off the shelf" type availability.

Jordan Wickert
    What size do you need? We get 10 made at a time but they are all 50mm.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Liked: 3

Default Rear Axle

Quote Originally Posted by Jnovak View Post
    What size do you need? We get 10 made at a time but they are all 50mm.
    Thank you for the response. I'm not sure yet since I'm new to this class. A local driver has reached out to me to answer questions for me. Going to start there. The steel axle just seemed a little odd when aluminum ones have been around for so long already. I wasn't sure if there was a specific reason for them not being used.

Sent from my SM-G900R4 using Tapatalk

Liked: 8

Default Rear axle

Jordan, your question is one that I ihave wondered about fro years, why has the SCCA and or rulesmakers required steel axles when good, well done aluminum axles have been used in Mini Sprints and Micro's for years ?? they're well made,set up for spline driven sprokets , brake dicscs, etc and VERY reasonable so whats up with that, NIH ?(not invented here) what??
    Dave

Liked: 830

Has ANYONE ever REQUESTED to the CRB that Aluminum axles be allowed? Of course with some reasonable cost data to back it up?

SCCA will *NOT >> EVER* initiate a change on it's own with no request for that change ... except for sometimes
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Are these steel axles tubes thin-wall enough to be just as light as an equivalent strength aluminum one, while being a bit cheaper and more durable?

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl DeArman View Post
    Are these steel axles tubes thin-wall enough to be just as light as an equivalent strength aluminum one, while being a bit cheaper and more durable?
    The steel axles we use are lighter, stiffer and less expensive than the splined aluminum axles. Just sayin.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Liked: 8

Default axles

less than $259. ?? thats pretty good!!
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by preform resources View Post
    less than $259. ?? thats pretty good!!
    Dave
    Yes, just the axle is less than that and much stiffer too.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047

Liked: 91

I recently wrote a letter to the CRB on this topic. The aluminum axles are readily available and in stock with many mini sprint suppliers. The problem is not only with the axle, its the cost and availability of hubs, brake rotors, caliper mounts, spacers, birdcages(rear uprights), sprockets, and sprocket hubs that work with the 50mm smooth steel tube. With the aluminum setup, you have infinite flexibility with sprocket alignment and rear track width. Just ask the kart guys what playing with the rear width can do for handling fine tuning.

-Eric

Quote Originally Posted by TDI PILOT View Post
    I recently wrote a letter to the CRB on this topic. The aluminum axles are readily available and in stock with many mini sprint suppliers. The problem is not only with the axle, its the cost and availability of hubs, brake rotors, caliper mounts, spacers, birdcages(rear uprights), sprockets, and sprocket hubs that work with the 50mm smooth steel tube. With the aluminum setup, you have infinite flexibility with sprocket alignment and rear track width. Just ask the kart guys what playing with the rear width can do for handling fine tuning.

-Eric
    i agree that the aluminum axle assembly is less expensive than a steel axle assembly. However, the low cost aluminum axles are made out of 1 3/4" aluminum tube and based on my calculation are not strong enough for F500. Remember that aluminum has 1/3 the Modulous of elasticity of steel an also has a finite bending life as opposed to steel which has an infinite bending life with the appropriate loads. Thus i suggest that if aluminum axles are allowed they must have the bigger diameter which cost about 2 tmes what the 1 3/4" axles cost.

I know a guy who has been using the 1 3/4" aluminum axles and failed one last season. Admitedly the axle was on its 3 rd season. But think about that. Your call not mine.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047

Liked: 91

Thanks Jay,

Good information, can you provide a link to the larger aluminum axles you are talking about please?

Lots of good points in your post. I think the key component is the splined design of all the mini sprint components. With this design you can move things around and just use spacers to locate your driven sprocket carrier and you have cheap options for birdcages, traditional hubs or keizer style wheel centers. What about a splined steel axle that would accept all the readily available components? This may be more expensive than the standard 50mm steel tube, but the big costs come from the components i listed earlier in this post, not the axle itself, so maybe it would still be a savings.

Quote Originally Posted by TDI PILOT View Post
    Thanks Jay,

Good information, can you provide a link to the larger aluminum axles you are talking about please?

Lots of good points in your post. I think the key component is the splined design of all the mini sprint components. With this design you can move things around and just use spacers to locate your driven sprocket carrier and you have cheap options for birdcages, traditional hubs or keizer style wheel centers. What about a splined steel axle that would accept all the readily available components? This may be more expensive than the standard 50mm steel tube, but the big costs come from the components i listed earlier in this post, not the axle itself, so maybe it would still be a savings.
    working on this now. Will let everyonr know what i learn.
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047

Liked: 10

I need to get my letter sent in, but I can't see how allowing aluminum axles would be a detriment to the class. Finding parts for our current 1.25" axles (at least that a lot of the autocross cars are using) is difficult as the modern sprint cars are all using 1.75" or 2" aluminum splined axles that are stronger and lighter.

Being able to buy parts off the shelf from many different sources would be boon and allow for more reliable parts sourcing and cheaper parts.

Just look through any 600cc sprint car supply house - there are parts all over that could be adapted to f500.
    (for example: https://www.hyperracing.com/pages/pr...spx?class=1100 )

Brad.

Thread Information