Thread: Used F4 sales ?

Liked: 799

Default Used F4 sales ?

So hypothetically, if a used F4 car were advertised tomorrow, how would the "3 year engine lease" deal transfer?

Contributing Member Steve Bamford's Avatar
    Liked: 619

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
    So hypothetically, if a used F4 car were advertised tomorrow, how would the "3 year engine lease" deal transfer?
    Not sure, haven't asked Honda that question but until you pay for theee years consecutively it is still their property. I assume you would start over if the car transferred ownership.
    Steve Bamford

Liked: 1432

How would they enforce that? Say someone buys a used car, is Honda going to call them up and tell them they owe Honda $X,XXX?

What if a shady owner sells it to an unknowing buyer?

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 91

Quote Originally Posted by reidhazelton View Post
    How would they enforce that? Say someone buys a used car, is Honda going to call them up and tell them they owe Honda $X,XXX?

What if a shady owner sells it to an unknowing buyer?
    This is a great question! I see 2 options.

1. Confiscate the engines at the end of the season (not likely).
    2. Hold the original owner responsible for the remaining cost of the engine (likely!).

Quote Originally Posted by FrankRizzo View Post
    This is a great question! I see 2 options.

1. Confiscate the engines at the end of the season (not likely).
    2. Hold the original owner responsible for the remaining cost of the engine (likely!).
    Legally it is their engine. I have no clue what they will or won't do but legally it is there engine.
    Steve Bamford

Liked: 53

Wouldn't it be the same a taking over someone's else car lease? sign the lease transfer papers and continue where they left off. Honda really wouldn't care who "owns it" as long as they get the $XXXX a year.

James

Liked: 96

Hopefully someone getting into F4 is not naive and is aware that the engines are leased.
    With this discussion going on, the engine lease program will show up in a Google search.

Do you sign lease papers with Honda when you purchase an F4? Is sale/transfer covered in those documents?
    "I love the smell of race fuel in the morning. It smells like victory!"
    Barry Wilcock
    Pit Crew: Tumenas Motorsports/Houndspeed, Fat Boy Racing

Liked: 41

Default Does it matter?

I would assume the seller has to return the engine before selling the chassis. It would be up to you to get a new lease with Honda. If you plan on racing in the spec series, the contract is probably part of that anyway.

And if you were racing elsewhere, it's just a K20C2 from the new Civic, so fitament should be straightforward. And since other FIA spec F4 cars fit the other FIA spec F4 engines, shouldn't the Crawford chassis do the same? Just throw in the Ecoboost and be done.

Liked: 799

Interesting discussion. Was going to say I'm surprised it's not clearly specified, but thinking back a year to the unanswered questions I asked as a buyer then, maybe I shouldn't be.
    That said, I can't believe the engine sells with the car and a new 3-year period begins, as the costs would have been based on forecast/calculated engine longevity one assumes.
    Gotta think the "Honda doesn't care who has it" comment should be right, and the seller/buyer agree on some total price to buy the chassis and assume the remaining lease.
    But back to my first thought, how can something so obvious not have been specified in advance?
    Guess we'll find out if one comes on the market :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus7 View Post
    Interesting discussion. Was going to say I'm surprised it's not clearly specified, but thinking back a year to the unanswered questions I asked as a buyer then, maybe I shouldn't be.
    That said, I can't believe the engine sells with the car and a new 3-year period begins, as the costs would have been based on forecast/calculated engine longevity one assumes.
    Gotta think the "Honda doesn't care who has it" comment should be right, and the seller/buyer agree on some total price to buy the chassis and assume the remaining lease.
    But back to my first thought, how can something so obvious not have been specified in advance?
    Guess we'll find out if one comes on the market :-)
    I am 99.9% sure it is specified in the engine lease that I signed but I haven't had time to pull it up & go over it as it isn't on the top of the list of things to do.

I am also sure Honda would answer if someone asked them directly so I don't think we should be quick to make comments such as that.
    Last edited by Bill Bonow; 10.20.16 at 7:22 AM.
    Steve Bamford

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information