Liked: 91

Default Check level of tranny oil?

How do you check the level of oil in the tranny?

-Chris

Liked: 32

Well, I use the scientific method of sticking my little finger in the fill plug hole (right side) so the inner edge of the hole is at my second joint. The oil level should touch the end of your finger. Then, I try like hell to get my finger out without ripping if off or cutting it on the sharp thread of the case... Don't try this at home if you have big fingers...

(OK OK - that is probably 1 inch to 1-1/2 inches below the fill plug hole in the side of the gear case).

Hewland says add 1 quart if you just change/inspect the gears, which is what we all will do 90% of the time... (1-1/2 total quarts if you also drain the diff housing)

So, after you change gears, throw in a quart and you are good! (and measure that level so you have a good reference on your specific gearbox, for checking the oil level later.)

Now, what gear oil to use is another issue of some debate........

Liked: 341

Quote Originally Posted by starfmguy View Post
    Hewland says add 1 quart if you just change/inspect the gears, which is what we all will do 90% of the time... (1-1/2 total quarts if you also drain the diff housing)

On the MK8/9, I thought that the instruction was to top off with 1 Pint after a gear change. That is half a quart.

My source is: http://www.willrace.com/Technical-Do...ies-Manual.pdf

Look at the second page of the document (cleverly labled as page 4 at the top) and it lists total oil quantity as 1.75 - 2 pints max. Then written by hand it indicates 1 pint after gear change.

This is the quantity I have always used to top off my gearbox after a gear change. The first time I did it, I measured the quantity that came out and it measured at just a bit fat of a pint.

Eric Little

I guess I should have asked, do you FM guys run the MK8/9 or are you on a different transmission? I thought given the age of the FM that the MK 8/9 made sense. Hence my input. If you use a different gearbox, then nevermind. Guess I should have asked first.

Eric

Liked: 141

Default Same gearbox

except it's mounted down side down not up side down.

Liked: 66

Well if its mounted in a Super Vee it would be mounted in the "original" VW position with the starter top/left and the fill hole will be midway up on the right side. Fill the transaxle to the bottom of the hole.

If it's upside down, as in most applications, 1 quart fill after gear change.........

Now, what gear oil to use is another issue of some debate........
    Well, since you brought it up... What IS the gear oil of choice? Previous owner says he uses redline gear oil. I asked what weight, and he said "Yes. Both of them". So, I assume that those of you who run in this area might have a good suggestion. So, what's the recommendation?

Quote Originally Posted by FrankRizzo View Post
    Well, since you brought it up... What IS the gear oil of choice? Previous owner says he uses redline gear oil. I asked what weight, and he said "Yes. Both of them". So, I assume that those of you who run in this area might have a good suggestion. So, what's the recommendation?
    Redline MT-90 for me (in a FF)

https://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?pid=46

A lot of people use Mobil 1, Amsoil or other good quality full synthetic manual gear oils, usually the 75W-140 heavy duty manual gear oil. (I must note that FM's are a lot harder on gears than FF)

Other FM guys may chime in here... but -

I have had very good wear and life with Red Line Lightweight Shockproof manual gear oil (the green stuff). I have used it for many years. I believe Taylor-Race still recommends that too.

I also think the best thing is to use REM'd Hewland gears. They seem to last much better and give you a little better margin of safety for galling, pitting or breakage.

There ya go!

10. The following members LIKED this post:

A lot of people use Mobil 1, Amsoil or other good quality full synthetic manual gear oils, usually the 75W-140 heavy duty manual gear oil. (I must note that FM's are a lot harder on gears than FF)

Other FM guys may chime in here... but -

I have had very good wear and life with Red Line Lightweight Shockproof manual gear oil (the green stuff). I have used it for many years. I believe Taylor-Race still recommends that too.

I also think the best thing is to use REM'd Hewland gears. They seem to last much better and give you a little better margin of safety for galling, pitting or breakage.

There ya go!
    Just to make sure I have it correct, THIS stuff:

yes! the green goop...

13. The following members LIKED this post:

yes! the green goop...
    Some might go as far to call it green slime!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Izr3Cidaz1M

15. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 0

I was reading up on gear oil a while back to do during winter, thanks for the advice.
    (new to FM)

Thread Information