Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

Default Stolen Penskes, Piper A-arms, Tools

On September 18th, outside a restaurant in Beckley WV, my vehicle was broken into and some race car parts were stolen. I filed a police report but they have no leads or suspects.
    -1 cardboard box labelled "Citation" had a set of 4 8765 Penske shocks with Hyperco 2X5 springs installed.
    -1 larger cardboard box labelled "Piper" had a set of Piper DF-5 A-arms and a Piper steering rack
    -1 blue plastic Ikea bin labelled "Alignment" had a digital level, nitrogen regulator, and assorted tools including a custom billot camber guage
    -1 laptop inside a bag labelled Fox40
    There is likely more that has not yet been noticed as missing.
    Many of the jigs in the alignment bin, and my master setup notebook, are irreplaceable.
    If anyone tries to sell you this stuff, or you hear of it, please let me know.
    Please forward this note to any other racers you may know in that area.
    I will pay a reward.
    Hoping the Apexspeed "community watch" can help.
    Thanks!
    Greg13rice-at-hotmail.com
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 432

Have you tried contacting the local pawn shops in the area? I see there are three in the area. Not really your road racing capitol of the world so that may be an option. Good luck.
    Graham

Liked: 121

Not sure I would have waited a month to alert us here.....but good luck with the recovery.

Liked: 235

That's awful. You have my sincere sympathies.

Do you mind describing how the thieves broke in?
    Jim

I wish I understood everything I know.

Liked: 307

Can't believe any of the typical 'smash & grab' thieves have any idea of what they have stolen, nor any idea of what to do with it or how to turn it into money. Most likely, after the looked at their 'haul' it was pitched into the nearest dumpster.

Classifieds Super License marshall9's Avatar
    Liked: 501

The laptop may be the best way to find all of it. If it is booted up, and wifi turned on, maybe it could be traced to a location. It definitely could, but whether or not , the police would be willing to use the forensic resources to do that is a different story. Sorry this happened to you.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

I am still dealing with various issues that I should not comment further, but I wanted people to be aware that those parts and tools are out there. On the odd chance that they are not already in a landfill, please keep an eye out. Thank you.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 3279

Man, that sucks. I always worry about someone stealing stuff from my van or trailer when it's parked on the way to or from a race. So far, I've been very fortunate to not have that happen.
    Dave Weitzenhof

Liked: 942

Sorry to hear of the break-in. I have had my garage and vehicles broken into. The worst parts are losing the stuff that's unobtanium and realizing somebody went through all your stuff and created a huge mess.

I recently bought an enclosed trailer. I live in an area where enclosed trailer thefts are common. They get stolen by meth heads who want mobile labs.

I figured out how much I have sunk in the trailer, car, spares and tools. I didn't want to experience a theft again so I bought an alarm system specifically for trailers. Both companies are owned by racers. They are equipped with door switches and a GPS tracker antenna. The controller is hidden behind the walls of the trailer.

http://www.sleepercellalarm.com/

https://geoskyalert.com/
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 140

Default Sleeper Cell x2

I'll second the Sleeper Cell alarm recommendation. It gives you an alert via text when your trailer is entered, and you can track the trailer if it is actually moved. It's pretty inexpensive, too. Plus, you're supporting a couple of Vee racers, as this is Donnie Isley and Laura Hayes' new company. Can't beat that!

Good luck recovering your stuff, Greg. Thieves rank pretty high on my all-time d-bag list...

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1

Default Trailer Alarm

Hey Guys!

It is because of stories just like this we came up with our alarm. I cannot tell you the fear I have had with my trailer, with our Vees inside, while parked in a hotel parking lot. Like many others, I had my trailer broke into several years ago. The thief stole some things that he could not give away that were unique to us Vee guys.

At any rate, our alarm draws no current until it has been activated. Once it has been triggered either by a door being opened or it detecting movement, it will then send you a text along with a GPS location. Additionally, we have no monthly fees for the alarm.

This has been a two year project. Take a look at our website and let us know if you have any questions. www.sleepercellalarm.com

Donnie Isley
    Laura Hayes

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1432

Quote Originally Posted by willwin2day View Post
    Hey Guys!

It is because of stories just like this we came up with our alarm. I cannot tell you the fear I have had with my trailer, with our Vees inside, while parked in a hotel parking lot. Like many others, I had my trailer broke into several years ago. The thief stole some things that he could not give away that were unique to us Vee guys.

At any rate, our alarm draws no current until it has been activated. Once it has been triggered either by a door being opened or it detecting movement, it will then send you a text along with a GPS location. Additionally, we have no monthly fees for the alarm.

This has been a two year project. Take a look at our website and let us know if you have any questions. www.sleepercellalarm.com

Donnie Isley
    Laura Hayes
    Awesome idea. It's on my 'buy' list.

15. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 3

What do you Sleeper Cell guys use for pay as you go SIM card service (if you use pay as you go)?

Liked: 1

Truphone.com. 10 cents/text outgoing.....nothing for incoming texts. they do not have a monthly fee. We also found T-Mobil at $10/month
    Last edited by willwin2day; 10.16.16 at 2:13 PM.

Thread Information