Liked: 8

Default All formula car SVRA event @ Indy 2017?

HI
    I just finished my season this past weekend at the Glen and have begun to think about next season.
    I went to Indy in 2015 as part of the SVRA event.
    I don't have any major complaints and enjoyed the event for what it was.
    To drive a storied track like Indy was worth the long tow and expense necessary to participate.
    However, the track isn't all that great compared to any of the natural terrain road courses and I didn't think of ever coming back.
    Anyway, the idea of an all formula car weekend has piqued my interest.
    I don't want to go out of pocket large again if no one will show up.
    What is the general feeling among the vintage and other open wheel drivers?
    Are you looking forward to doing this event on your 2017 schedule?
    Thanks
    Greg Kokolus
    CF #30
    PRS RH-01

Liked: 67

It's such a big check to write to rent the place, they had a pretty good idea that there will be significant support (read:entries) BEFORE they announced this...
    -Peter Krause
    1984 Tiga SC
    www.peterkrause.net
    "The Driver is the Greatest Performance Variable in the Racing Equation"

Liked: 30

This event should draw a large amount of drivers looking to attend the 2017 Runoffs as well, as it will really be the only weekend to get on the track prior to the Runoffs.

Although open-wheel numbers were low at this years Runoffs, it seems quite a few people were saving up for 2017. We'll see if that was really the case.

I'll be there

Liked: 27

If my health holds out I will be there. I got sick last yr and had to cancel. I hope they let us run the oval again.
    God is my pilot, I'm just the loose nut behind the wheel !

Liked: 1115

I started saving pennies several months ago.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Contributing Member Chris Elwell's Avatar
    Liked: 58

If I'm reading it correctly, all SCCA open wheel classes are invited? If so, my FV will be there.

Seems to me like some people would attend this and not the runoffs, because this is one weekend whereas the runoffs requires 3 Majors weekends to qualify and then a whole week to get an hour of track time.

Liked: 142

oval or road course? I ran the road course this season in USF2000 and it was fun. Very cool to be actually racing on indy. RACING. AT. INDY!!!! (say that to yourself a few times). Not the oval but still very fun and very cool.

I'd love to drive the oval. So if that's on the menu, count me in.
    Awww, come on guys, it's so simple. Maybe you need a refresher course. Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 28

Default Indy 2015

I took my Crossle 35 Club Ford to Indy this year. SVRA Group 2 were allowed to run the oval at "safe speeds" on Sunday morning for about 20 minutes. That was a real treat!

The races were run on the road circuit which is flat (except when it usd small sections of the oval) and was interesting but as others have noted, not near as challenging as a typical road circuit like Mid Ohio, Warerford, Grattan or Gingerman. For me a wonderful one time event.

SVRA puts on a great race weekend that tries to assure that racers are treated to the best in terms of tech, food and entertainment. For that level of service at a venue like Indy costs a lot. I believe it was $825 this year.

While I did say a once in a lifetime event for me, I am also interested in the possibility of a open wheel weekend at Indy and will be keeping an eye out for more details.

Thread Information