Classifieds Super License marshall9's Avatar
    Liked: 501

Default Currrent PFM car homes?

What's going on with PFM? Where are the sub 40K cars eligible to race and in what class? They seem like a lot of speed for the dollar. Where do they fall speed wise to Atlantic, FC, FB, FM, FE ?

It just seems like it is a lot of car for FE money. I do know the maintenance is probably higher.

Liked: 91

Warning! Possible idiot RESPONSE, read with caution!

From what I've seen, I think the speed list would be:

FA FB PFM FC FE FM
    Last edited by FrankRizzo; 10.06.16 at 3:53 PM.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 47

FA < PFM < FB, speed wise.

They do not go for FE money ... FE is about what, $25k? I haven't seen a $40k FE for a long time. A $40k PFM isn't much car ... not including the one just posted from quantum, which I haven't inspected and no photos posted (probably indicative), but from the posted specs that car sounds like an absolute bargain and I hope it isn't setting the new pricing if it's actually a good car. So with the exception of the quantum PFM, a decent car with no spares is/was about $50k, $75k neighborhood if you want a meticulously prepared one with low miles engine and decent set of spares.

Also, keep in mind the operating cost, while an absolute bargain compared to FA, is much much higher than FE. Not just running costs but engineering costs. There are many knobs to adjust compared to FE.

If enough of them were to show up it wouldn't be a bad idea to have their own class in SCCA. (Although personally I'm against class proliferation.) Just throwing it out there though. I don't expect many to show up in SCCA though since the cars have been cheap enough and already in the hands of many amateurs for some time already and you can barely find them racing in FA. Here in norcal, the FCC series is a great place to race these cars.

Are you thinking of PFM? It really is a great car.

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by mousecatcher View Post

They do not go for FE money ... FE is about what, $25k? I haven't seen a $40k FE for a long time. A $40k PFM isn't much car ... not including the one just posted from quantum, which I haven't inspected and no photos posted (probably indicative), but from the posted specs that car sounds like an absolute bargain and I hope it isn't setting the new pricing if it's actually a good car. So with the exception of the quantum PFM, a decent car with no spares is/was about $50k, $75k neighborhood if you want a meticulously prepared one with low miles engine and decent set of spares.

Also, keep in mind the operating cost, while an absolute bargain compared to FA, is much much higher than FE. Not just running costs but engineering costs. There are many knobs to adjust compared to FE.

If enough of them were to show up it wouldn't be a bad idea to have their own class in SCCA. (Although personally I'm against class proliferation.) Just throwing it out there though. I don't expect many to show up in SCCA though since the cars have been cheap enough and already in the hands of many amateurs for some time already and you can barely find them racing in FA. Here in norcal, the FCC series is a great place to race these cars.

Are you thinking of PFM? It really is a great car.
    Maybe....there is another one already in AZ. I do not know who owns/drives it, but it has been to a couple of PASA race weekends. I was busy with other things, and didn't take the time to approach the guy and ask questions.

Quote Originally Posted by FrankRizzo View Post
    Warning! Possible idiot post, read with caution!

From what I've seen, I think the speed list would be:

FA FB PFM FC FE FM
    Idiot?

I know the speeds of the alphabet, was just asking a question.

Know what, Sir? I have been around Formula cars since I was 7 years old in 1971. I have been a member here since 2002, 14 years.

Posts like that when someone asks a question about a particular class of car that he is curious about, is what sends newbies elsewhere.....

Nice work.

I have always heard the only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

I guess, not putting the cars in the proper speed order makes me an idiot. I was just trying to think of cars that I thought might be points of reference in my question.

Instead of saying what I would like to say to you, I will say Kumbaya !

Liked: 14

Quote Originally Posted by marshall9 View Post
    Idiot?

I know the speeds of the alphabet, was just asking a question.

Know what, Sir? I have been around Formula cars since I was 7 years old in 1971. I have been a member here since 2002, 14 years.

Posts like that when someone asks a question about a particular class of car that he is curious about, is what sends newbies elsewhere.....

Nice work.

I have always heard the only dumb question is the one you don't ask.

I guess, not putting the cars in the proper speed order makes me an idiot. I was just trying to think of cars that I thought might be points of reference in my question.

Instead of saying what I would like to say to you, I will say Kumbaya !
    re-read the guys' post, and you will see he was calling HIMSELF an idiot, not you.

8. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 91

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Pitt View Post
    re-read the guys' post, and you will see he was calling HIMSELF an idiot, not you.
    Exactly! I was saying that I'm an idiot, but this is what I understand the speeds to be.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 47

Quote Originally Posted by mousecatcher View Post
    oops, of course I meant FA > PFM > FB. Didn't correct the original since you already quoted it.

I don't expect many to show up in SCCA though since the cars have been cheap enough and already in the hands of many amateurs for some time already and you can barely find them racing in FA.
    I mean, Star (Rodrigues) built over 100 cars I think, and there are so few running pro now (with a year to go) that they have had to cancel races and offer free entry. I think it's fair to say that 20% are totalled completely and the rest are in the hands of amateurs. Sitting around in their shop.

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Josh Pitt View Post
    Mind your own business Josh, I wasn't speaking to you.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 113

Is there a dislike button?

14. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 530

I have 04-553. It's never been pro raced. I use it for fun at track days. It's not a sub-40K car by any stretch. It ran a 2:08 at Sebring last time I was there, on 12 heat cycle tires and an older motor. Still in 2004 spec trim (no updates). It would compete in FA in SCCA, if I was interested in that sort of thing. Shouldn't be able to keep up with Swift 014/16, but possible to win at the regional level.

I went from Corvettes (15 years) to FE (2 years) to PFM (2 years now). No regrets. Thinking about a Reynard 90D F3000 next.

Feel free to give me a call or email about PFM. I can tell you everything I know at least.
    Last edited by mikey; 10.08.16 at 8:27 PM.

Liked: 1

Bob Wright is offering a home on the East coast to all Pro Mazda cars. He is allowing them to run in the Atlantic class and if enough show up they will be scored separate.
    Bobs series runs Formula Ford, F2000 Championship series and Atlantics.
    This will give a home to the Pro Mazda when it is phased out in Dan Andersons Road to Indy series in 2018 though That series WILL allow the Pro Mazda in 2018 in a sub class.
    It may continue on past 2018 depending on car count.

Full disclosure I purchased a Pro Mazda and plan on racing in the Road to Indy this year. I do love the car after racing for years an F2000 Zete car.

I will keep you posted after series opener at St. Petersburg March 10-12.

Charles Fat Boy Finelli

Liked: 29

I will be at St Pete as well. Planning on running the whole series this year. -Kevin
    Kevin Davis
    04 Pro Mazda
    95 Lamborghini Diablo
    59 Piper Comanche

Isn't it a fantastic car?
    Look for the Fat Boy awning come have a cigar and. Cocktails

19. The following members LIKED this post:

You have a Piper?
    I have a Mooney which I will fly right to the St. Pete track. Parking at Sheltair at Albert Whitting field

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
    Isn't it a fantastic car?
    Look for the Fat Boy awning come have a cigar and. Cocktails
    I'll look you guys up. I'll be at the little 28' trailer and pop-up awning. lol
    Kevin Davis
    04 Pro Mazda
    95 Lamborghini Diablo
    59 Piper Comanche

Quote Originally Posted by Zebra View Post
    You have a Piper?
    I have a Mooney which I will fly right to the St. Pete track. Parking at Sheltair at Albert Whitting field
    Both are awesome airplanes! Unfortunately I'm driving the rig down w/ the car.
    Kevin Davis
    04 Pro Mazda
    95 Lamborghini Diablo
    59 Piper Comanche

Liked: 142

kevin, you can't miss our awning, it's the only lime green inflatable bouncy castle with leather recliners under it in the paddock
    Awww, come on guys, it's so simple. Maybe you need a refresher course. Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays.

Liked: 146

I'm trying to join the party at Indy and Road America. A couple offers are on the table, so we'll see where it goes.
    Dale V.
    Lake Effect Motorsports
    FM
    Spartan VP-2/Mazda

25. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information