Liked: 0

Sunday, February 8, 2004 will be the day that VARA will hold its annual Formula Ford / Formula Continental tech day. This year the annual Formula Ford engine certifcation and safety inspection will take place at:

Sabina Precision Corporation
    1440 Burton Place
    Anaheim, CA

Formula Continentals will be inspected for safety only, and then effective with the 2005 season, all Formula Continentals will have their engines certified for Formula Ford 2000 compliance.

Not only will the event be an annual tech day, it will be a chance for everyone to tour the Sabina facilty, meet and talk with other Formula Ford owners.

Further announcements regarding this annual event will be provided over the next few weeks.

Mark your calendars now for Sunday, February 8, 2004!

If you have a Vintage Formula Ford or a Club Ford, come out and join us for a fun season of racing. Last weekend we had over 33 Formula Fords take the green flag on Sunday. VARA is proof that Vintage Formula Fords and Club Fords can race togther and still have FUN!

Craig Hibbard
    President, Vintage Auto Racing Association
    http://www.vararacing.com

[size="1"][ November 26, 2003, 09:57 AM: Message edited by: CHibbard ][/size]

Banned
    Liked: 1116

May a FF still be teched on Jan 31 at Irwindale, or must we attend the Feb 8th tech day?

As part of our annual FF tech, we do engine compliance testing. We will not be doing engine compliance at Irwindale (too many cars, not enough time). If you would like to show your car, that is great.

Your car will have to be checked on the 8th for engine and safety compliance.

Craig

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1488

Craig - what's looked at during the compliance check? Never had to concern myself with it before. Do you bring the car in with the head off?

Liked: 29

Rick:
    In checking a FF or CF at their annual tech, not only do we check the regular safety items but also check engine compliance.

No your head needs to be screwed on. We use a whistler to check CR, a bore checker to check bore size, a computerized cam profiler to check cams(at which time the valve train is looked at as the v.cover comes off), and also check for correctness in the carb and the intake an exhaust ports. The engine rules are spelled out in detail on the vararacing.com website under FF rules.

If there needs to be some pick up work on your car, in either the car or the motor, it is noted in your log book and on our tech sheet and you will be checked again for those deficient items that you have fixed and then signed off.

The reason for not doing FF/CF at our regular Annual Tech on 31 January is the huge turnout of cars. It takes three of us the majority of a day just to do the Fords....

Rick,

Jerry is right.

However, after serious discussions with our technical staff, we've decide to perform a COMPLETE TEAR DOWN of your engine.

Rumors in the paddock have us concerned. Your lap times have exceeded all FC's in VARA and for the most part SCCA.

The extra "un-marked dial" on dash has interested us as well. Is this a boost adjustment? The corners workers has noted an interesting sound when you have reached maximum RPM, is that a waste gate issue.

I appears by the excellent detail work of your FC, that in fact it may be an CART car in FC's skin.

Be prepared to explain all your secrets to Mr. Mitchell.

Please bring all your tools, engine build specs, extra gaskets, fuel, oil, drivers gear ..... [img]tongue.gif[/img]

See you soon for the inspection .....

Craig

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1488

But if I have to take my valve cover off he'll see all my speed secrets - including the one where I left the head bolt tool in there when I put the cover back on - Doh!! Left me with a custom cam profile.....

Seriously - those in the know know that I'm the ONLY FC in VARA (with the exception of pre-1970 cars) and I have a tough time keeping up with the vintage fords

But I look good

Rick,

All joking aside, your FC is stunning! You have done a great job with that car. It has made a nice addition to VARA.

Now, about leaving that tool in the secret pocket of the valve cover ...........

See you soon,
    Craig

Banned
    Liked: 1116

My engine does make a funny whoosh noise at high rpm, well not really that high, at about 9K. Seems to pull reasonably well, but I can't believe how much fuel it uses.

Seriously, I don't know the history of my motor. Don't even know who built it. (See related thread on engines please.) I'd love it if there is someone in So-cal that would be willing to give me a courtesy check of the above items prior to the real deal. It would give me an opportunity to correct any minor issues prior to the annual tech day, also save me the possible embarrassment.

Thanks!

Thread Information