Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked: 113

Default Runoffs AS (has it come to this?...)

I won't spoil it, in case some one has it taped, but for those of you who watched the A sedan race, what did you think of the last lap antics? I can not believe someone would stoop to that level childish behavior!

Anyone who saw it, what do you think? Personally I would throw the guy out for life!...

Just my opinion, but Runoffs, or not, it is still amatuer racing and I do not feel there is any place for this type of behavior...

...just my 02 cents...
    Chris Robson
    Accelerated Performance Coaching
    http://APCDriving.com

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

Is there a link the a recording somewhere?

Liked: 42

This isn't F1 and noone is recording a webcast.

Tom Sloe after spinning on the opening lap made it back to third overall. Got together with lap traffic and broke his left front suspension. Sloe pulled off to the side and waited for Mcdermid to come around. Then sloe proceeded to drive into mcdermids right rear on the last lap.

What neither knew was the leader who had checked out had broken on the last lap and Mcdermid was the leader.

not the first time he has done that and received a year off IIRC. Hopefully he is gone from SCCA for good this time.

4. The following 3 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBudgetRacing View Post
    Is there a link the a recording somewhere?
    Will be up in a week or so if it is like previous Runoffs.

There has been poor sportsmanship in many sports, but Sloe's move takes it to the NASCAR level of stupidity. Not to mention, at least from the camera view on TV, Mc Dermid really just held his line and Sloe dove for a non-existent gap... On the first lap!...
    Chris Robson

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1432

Typical of the class, and Sloe specifically. Not much above the local dirt track antics.

Liked: 553

I didn't see it, only heard about it (from a few sources). I probably should save judgement but it sure sounds like, if this guy doesn't get a long time ban from SCCA racing, it will be a big disappointment. That kind of behavior couldn't be any further from sportsman-like. More like criminal.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
    I didn't see it, only heard about it (from a few sources). I probably should save judgement but it sure sounds like, if this guy doesn't get a long time ban from SCCA racing, it will be a big disappointment. That kind of behavior couldn't be any further from sportsman-like. More like criminal.
    There is a good video of it on Facebook taken by someone watching the race. He set himself up to see people coming around a corner a ways back. McDermid appears and Sloe starts moving and then drives right into him.

Liked: 530

criminal charges can be filed then if that's what happened

Liked: 91

Quote Originally Posted by cooleyjb View Post
    There is a good video of it on Facebook taken by someone watching the race. He set himself up to see people coming around a corner a ways back. McDermid appears and Sloe starts moving and then drives right into him.
    Can you provide a link?

Liked: 144

Here's a link: https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=sloe%20runoffs

What a complete @sshat move.

Liked: 91

Quote Originally Posted by Agitator View Post
    Here's a link: https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=sloe%20runoffs

What a complete @sshat move.
    No results found for your query.
    Check your spelling or try another term.

Liked: 442

17. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 304

Ouch. Looks pretty damn clear. Should be gone.

19. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 757

If it is confirmed that that was a deliberate maneuver then surely criminal charges should be brought?

...not to throw fuel on the fire, but I have to believe that he had some "help" from a spotter. I know that driving formula cars, we have a better range of sight, but I doubt that from inside a Mustang, looking out of the rear window, or even smaller side mirror, belted in, I could have timed this so perfectly and pulled it off, even if I was facing them...

If that is the case, I really think that suspensions should go deeper than just the driver.
    Chris Robson

Liked: 175

Reminds me of what Tony Drissi did to Amy Ruman in the Mid-Ohio Trans Am last year. Drissi was banned from the Trans Am series for a full calendar year.

23. The following 2 users liked this post:

Regardless of the contact that occurred afterward, I believe that failure to remove a stationary car from the racing surface (which was clearly capable of moving) is also grounds for a severe penalty.
    Mark Silverberg - SE Michigan
    Lynx B FV & Royale RP3 FF
    240Z Vintage Production Car
    PCR, Kosmic CRG & Birel karts

Contributing Member
    Liked: 480

Is this the guy? If so, he needs to rememberwhat he says:

http://www.scca.com/videos/1971086

ChrisZ

Quote Originally Posted by Mark_Silverberg View Post
    Regardless of the contact that occurred afterward, I believe that failure to remove a stationary car from the racing surface (which was clearly capable of moving) is also grounds for a severe penalty.
    During the live broadcast he was rolling backwards right there and it was weird. In hindsight it is clear he was setting himself up to see that turn behind him. Someone else stated that if that doesn't earn a lifetime ban from SCCA what does? I have nothing in that race, or association with either guy but I totally agree. I have no desire to race in a club where that is not grounds for permanent ban.

Quote Originally Posted by FVRacer21 View Post
    Is this the guy? If so, he needs to rememberwhat he says:

http://www.scca.com/videos/1971086

ChrisZ
    Yep, same guy

27. The following 2 users liked this post:

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Sometimes you must bloody the bullies' nose and then take whatever lumps the principal tosses your way.

I don't know what preceded this incident.

I am going to go out on a limb here and suggest the hit was warranted, but poorly executed

Someone takes a shot at your quarterback's knees...somebody throws at the guy that hit a HR....someone races you dirty. For/against the written rules there's an effective process to discourage future unwanted behavior. Don't want unsportsmanlike conduct? Don't dole it out yourself.

Liked: 301

Quote Originally Posted by Daryl DeArman View Post
    I am going to go out on a limb here and suggest the hit was warranted, but poorly executed

NO premeditated assault in motorsports is "warranted."
    If the other guy did something earlier to piss this guy off, he needs to take through the channels...not go vigilante on-track.
    His move could have also taken that third car along as "collateral damage".
    There are plenty of local dirt tracks that run demolition-derbies, if that's what you're looking for.
    Glenn

30. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 144

Sometimes you must bloody the bullies' nose and then take whatever lumps the principal tosses your way.

Someone takes a shot at your quarterback's knees...somebody throws at the guy that hit a HR....someone races you dirty. For/against the written rules there's an effective process to discourage future unwanted behavior. Don't want unsportsmanlike conduct? Don't dole it out yourself.
    This isn't professional sports. You don't get to exact revenge ("warranted" or not) because of some unwritten rule among participants. Throwing at an opposing batter in amateur athletics will get you suspended for a LONG time. A collegiate kid did it a few years back and never played again. I think you've been watching too many movies, been to too many dirt tracks, or watched too much SportsCenter. Doing crap like this at an amateur race could easily turn into lawyers getting involved, and then we're all gonna pay for it. What if the guy he hit flipped or got seriously hurt? Everything is ok because it was warranted?

There's a procedure...it's called a protest. It doesn't always turn out in your favor, but I can guarantee that taking a guy out to "discourage unwanted behavior" is never gonna be accepted. If you wanna play that way, either do it a local circle track, or be good enough to get into NASCAR.

32. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 757

So what happens when this happens again and a corner worker or spectator is injured? If the driver who was crashed into was injured is that still ok?

34. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 353

Sometimes it's best to avoid making a comment at the risk of being thought an idiot instead of posting from ignorance and remove all doubt.

Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

36. The following 3 users liked this post:

Banned

I knew my opinion wouldn't be popular.

People who raced me, knew that I would race anybody clean who was willing to race me clean. The ol' bump n' run BS or just flat squeezing somebody off into the weeds isn't cool. Protests are akin to telling Mommy/Daddy/teacher. It's a short term solution that can often times cause the situation to escalate/prolong.

I probably had somewhere around 200 races in my "career/hobby". Three times I punted somebody on purpose. All 3 times resulted in a DQ/DNF for me/both of us. Neither of the 3 people did I ever have a problem with again.

I only had contact with 2 other people and both times was just a minor racing deal, nobody trying to play dirty with anybody. 97.5% clean race/no contact record. It's not like I'm dirty, just not willing to be bullied.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Olivola View Post
    Sometimes it's best to avoid making a comment at the risk of being thought an idiot instead of posting from ignorance and remove all doubt.
    True. Or just an outright *******. Eh Peter?

So, an incident half a continent away somehow has to be about you. That definitely removes all doubt.

I knew my opinion wouldn't be popular.

People who raced me, knew that I would race anybody clean who was willing to race me clean. The ol' bump n' run BS or just flat squeezing somebody off into the weeds isn't cool. Protests are akin to telling Mommy/Daddy/teacher. It's a short term solution that can often times cause the situation to escalate/prolong.

I probably had somewhere around 200 races in my "career/hobby". Three times I punted somebody on purpose. All 3 times resulted in a DQ/DNF for me/both of us. Neither of the 3 people did I ever have a problem with again.

I only had contact with 2 other people and both times was just a minor racing deal, nobody trying to play dirty with anybody. 97.5% clean race/no contact record. It's not like I'm dirty, just not willing to be bullied.
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

40. The following 2 users liked this post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Olivola View Post
    So, an incident half a continent away somehow has to be about you. That definitely removes all doubt.
    No ********. I made a comment about the incident possibly being warranted. Noting that I didn't know what preceded it. I said I knew my comment wouldn't be popular.

Then I illustrated, through personal experience, that just because I have that opinion doesn't make me a demolition derby/short track NASCAR driver.

You come on and call me an idiot....and somehow I made it about me.

You should just quit while you're behind. How not knowing is justified by personal experience is too far beyond the pale.

No ********. I made a comment about the incident possibly being warranted. Noting that I didn't know what preceded it. I said I knew my comment wouldn't be popular.

Then I illustrated, through personal experience, that just because I have that opinion doesn't make me a demolition derby/short track NASCAR driver.

You come on and call me an idiot....and somehow I made it about me.
    Peter Olivola
    (polivola@gmail.com)

Liked: 183

after watching this video, Sloe needs to be banned. there is no excuse for that kind of bad sportsmanship. He has no business in a race car.

https://www.facebook.com/12434288/vi...8156254262995/

Liked: 162

I thought the crowd's reaction was a bit disheartening as well.

45. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 1417

Ok, dial it down a few notches, guys. No internet tough guys needed here.

47. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 1417

Quote Originally Posted by chrisw52 View Post
    after watching this video...
    I think the crowd's reaction sucks, as does the fact that people still don't know how to take horizontal videos with their phones. What has the world come to?

49. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 126

That seems to me to be pretty blatantly on purpose. And agree the crowd's reaction sucked.

(My toned down peanut gallery comments)

Liked: 58

Default Crowd reaction

I was in Madness when this happened. The crowd reaction was more WTF? than NAPCAR glee in seeing "a good one". We don't need this kind of thing in our sport. I saw the opening lap too. There was no way to justify what he did here. Let him break golf clubs instead of other people's race cars.

Doug FST 5

52. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 1880

Any word out yet on punishment?

Got to love the mentality of the guys talking about retaliations. Note that they are all in sedan cars with nice stout frames to protect them. Try that stuff in a formula car, and you might go to the hospital before going home.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 49

Talked to another AS competitor at the track today and he said Sloe got a 1 year suspension.

55. The following 5 users liked this post:

Contributing Member jemartin144's Avatar
    Liked: 11

I was on the hill spectating when this happened and there is no doubt it was deliberate. There was no contact with a back marker. Sloe stopped on track rolled backwards into the middle of the track, waited more than half a lap and gunned it for Andy McDermid. The crowd reaction was mostly shock then there was cheering because Andy McDermid did a great job of getting going and at the same time the car that had been leading the race the entire time came through broken so it was realized that Andy would win if he got around.

From what I've heard about penalties, he received a one year suspension for now because that is the most penalty they can impose at the track, but that a more harsh penalty can and will be looked into later.

The thing is he is going to have a change to appeal these penalties and I'd bet he can throw enough money at it to get his license back soon enough. I know that if I was in a class that he tried to run in and I saw him registered in he future Id withdraw out of protest (and my own safety). The race track is not the place for stuff like this; especially not amateur racing, no matter the level.

P.S. this wasn't the only NASCAR style incident that happened just in this corner at the runoffs. There was another race that featured a driver walking out into the middle of the track after getting spun while GETTING LAPPED by the leader and threw something at the other car as it drove by. Sad precedents getting set all around in racing lately.

57. The following members LIKED this post:

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by jemartin144 View Post
    I know that if I was in a class that he tried to run in and I saw him registered in he future Id withdraw out of protest (and my own safety).
    Oh, I don't know about that. Does this guy have a reputation for starting this kind of stuff, or finishing it?

Sounded to me like a guy that liked a good clean race and didn't take much crap from those that didn't. I am okay with that. We need more of it. There are folks that we likely all race(d) with that had a rep for being dirty/reckless, what did the system do to educate them?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information