Thread: FA @ Runoffs

Liked: 101

Default FA @ Runoffs

Ok......5 total FA's at the Runoffs.....seriously ???

Liked: 803

and with P3 over FIVE seconds off the pace in all three sessions ...

just defies belief

Contributing Member
    Liked: 863

Norman and Grant are both under Rahal's track record (race) and tickling his qualifying record from 2005. That ain't shabby.
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

Hey Bob,

There are probably 80+ 014's and 016's still out there. What will it take to get them to the track again ? It has to be more than cost and economic climate...

Contributing Member

Yea...We've been trying to figure out how to get them racing ourselves for about 4 years.

I think the primary reason is they are relatively expensive cars to operate and difficult to set up properly (read you need a knowledgeable race engineer to run at the front). Is it the motors? The tire cost? Something else? The engine builders have been working hard to add usable hours to the engine life of both the Mazda and Toyota. The MZR kit for the 014 should also help.

I'm all ears for any suggestions.
    ----------

Contributing Member ric baribeault's Avatar
    Liked: 258

For me the question would be, why would so many people spend so much for a car they can't afford to race?

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1906

Quote Originally Posted by bill gillespie View Post
    Ok......5 total FA's at the Runoffs.....seriously ???
    With 12 FF's there, 5 Atlantics is probably about the right ratio.

It's a sad state of affairs kids!
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Quote Originally Posted by ric baribeault View Post
    For me the question would be, why would so many people spend so much for a car they can't afford to race?
    Same reason I got married ! ????

9. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 530

For those wondering about people who own cars but don't race.. I'll offer my perspective, as one of those guys.

I own a Pro Mazda. FA class, but of course not seriously competitive vs Swift. I don't really care about that. For me, time is my most valuable resource, not money. There are actually a lot of reasons I don't play in SCCA.

1) It's a meaningless trophy. Seriously, what does winning the nationals really prove? That amongst a select few who could actually afford to be there, you had the right combo of skill and luck? whoopee. I couldn't look myself in the mirror and say "I'm the best". It's got that huge alibi. "The best or luckiest that could afford to be there". Afford as in the case of money, time or risk (of injury or death).

2) As with any racing, it costs a lot of money to run up front. Even in spec series. So sometimes the guy at the front, while amongst the rare crowd that could afford to be in the race, is now in the front position because he could afford to be there as well. Not necessarily the best driver.

3) Time invested to participate in SCCA is disproportionate to enjoyable time on track. HPDE days are far more accommodating and enjoyable for me. Tremendous camaraderie, tons of seat time, almost 100% green flag laps, immensely fun. I compete against myself.

4) If I actually wanted to go racing, there are very limited options. Because most classes, you'll find yourself only comparable to 1-3 others. This is due to a combination of skill, money and/or luck. So a field of 10 cars might as well be a field of 3 cars for any given individual. The exception classes are things like SRF, where the car count is high enough that you may find 10+ cars to actually compete with on the same level within the field of 40+.

So bottom line, for me, I don't see meaningful accomplishment opportunity in SCCA racing for FA. I'll continue to take my money to the track with other groups and just enjoy myself.

To be fair, I will admit it is added fun when someone shows up at HPDE and turns similar lap times. But again, SCCA is just not accommodating enough to provide me the value I seek.

As evidence money is not the factor for me, I'll offer that I spent about $30K last year running the PFM. That's all inclusive of travel, lodging, fees, fuel, consumables, parts and repairs. I did most of my own labor, but did take the car to Speed Syndicate a few times for higher level work. I finished the year with 10 weekends, 2000+ miles of track time at 9 different tracks including Sebring, Homestead, Daytona, Palm Beach, Barber, VIR, COTA, NCMMP, and Road America. My data suggests I could run with the front half of the pack at most SCCA events according to results postings.

I like what FRCCA is doing in the NE. I think if that existed in the SE, then open wheelers might start leaving the SCCA and find each other at the track more often. And I don't think SCCA would care.

In the mean time, I'll continue to enjoy my time at the track, and will seriously consider SRF if I want to go wheel to wheel in a challenging way on a relatively level playing field. But I get my kicks out of the speeds of my PFM, not going wheel to wheel in a slower class.

11. The following 3 users liked this post:

wow ....

Liked: 254

Track must be fast today. FCs are all crazy fast too. A bunch of my buddies in A Sedan went much faster today as well.

Quote Originally Posted by 2BWise View Post
    Track must be fast today.
    that's as may be, but also 1.1 up on Grant who ran his best time of the week as well ....

Contributing Member

That time didn't just beat, but eradicated Rahal's qualifying record (1:16.6) from 2005. Grant was well under the record as well.
    ----------

16. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 309

Quote Originally Posted by 2BWise View Post
    Track must be fast today. FCs are all crazy fast too. A bunch of my buddies in A Sedan went much faster today as well.
    Yeah, why IS the track so fast this year? It's not just FA and FC, either. Any structural changes? New asphalt? Straighten some curves? Just curious is all. Thanks, Stan
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 296

The weather has been excellent and track conditions are a reflection of that.
    Chris Livengood, enjoying underpriced ferrous whizzy bits that I hacked out in my tool shed since 1999.

Liked: 113

Default course change

I do not know if this has any bearing on the lap times, but I noticed that the curb at the entrance to turn one is no longer there. Technically the "pits" (pit in/pit out) is part of the course, so buy utilizing that extra bit of pavement, it might be an advantage.

I do not know if this is the case, but it is something I certainly contemplated while watching the Indy weekend on TV.
    Chris Robson
    Accelerated Performance Coaching
    http://APCDriving.com

Liked: 254

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Clayton View Post
    Yeah, why IS the track so fast this year? It's not just FA and FC, either. Any structural changes? New asphalt? Straighten some curves? Just curious is all. Thanks, Stan
    The weather is great as Chris points out, but it has also been dry all week including the previous weekend for testing. I'm thinking the track has just continued to rubber in over the last 7 days.

Fallen Friend
    Liked: 33

The turn 1 curb is still there. The track has been relatively fast all week, but not any faster than past years.

Liked: 113

Did they re-install it after the "Pro weekends"?

I remember watching the Nationwide cars running right up to the abutment during their event. Maybe it was just the angle, but I could have sworn that the curb was gone and they just had painted lines defining the exit.

...old age sucks when you start to see, or imagine things...
    Chris Robson
    Accelerated Performance Coaching
    http://APCDriving.com

Liked: 0

Trying to convince my friends/ drivers, FA isn't this huge jump in money and skill is difficult.

Thread Information