Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

Default ARRC at Road Atlanta

So after maybe a decade of promising, threatening and more promising I really really really am planning on finally going back to Road Atlanta for the ARRC weekend Nov 4-6.
    As previously stated/posted I have never actually raced at the track since the infamous Dip disappeared [thanks Don....not seriously, no] but recognize the excellent racing and passing zone Turns 10A and B have afforded and anticipate some good racing .
    As the end of an excellent season, and all being well at Summit Point after the previous weekends Right Coast finale, and being half way anyway there my plan is to wander around, visit a few civil war battlefields, stop and torment some unlucky friends and fellow racers on the way and finally, as the ad says, just do it.
    So come on folks, come out and beat up on an old guy in an old car and let's have a good turnout and pretend we are in fact at the runoffs , which in a very real way we will be at the regional runoffs at one of the best race tracks any of us will likely ever run.
    Georgia's own Spa maybe, on a par with any road course in North America, and I include Mosport and Road America and Laguna Seca and Riverside and Bridgehampton and all the rest.
    Disclaimer: I ain't ever seen COTA cept on TV, so.......
    Come on FF and CF folk, let's go have a good race weekend early November before putting the toys away for the winter.
    Clearly that last sentence was not intended for the Florida gang, hope they'll come all the way north to Atlanta, if it isn't to cold for them by November .......

Liked: 202

Just to clarify, this event is open to all GCR compliant cars regardless of Runoffs eligibility, so FS, ASR, CF, and maybe even CFC are all invited.

I have been communicating with Mr. Rand on a number of items regarding the ARRC, and while I no longer have anything to do with the organization of the event I have been assured by those "in charge" that the schedule (at least Thursday thru Saturday) will be similar to previous years.

Thu, 11/03:
    - track-sanctioned test day, no pre-registration available and traditionally $225 for four sessions. Road Atlanta also pro-rates the entry fee based on the number of sessions left when you sign up (i.e. - half days are available)

Fri, 11/04:
    - expect two qualifying sessions, and I've also been assured there will be two open-wheeled groups split by wings vs. non-wings

Sat, 11/05:
    - not sure what order we will race, but each group will get a 20-lap (or 40 minute max) Championship race complete with Victory Laps, podium celebrations, dancing girls, and a call from somebody claiming to be Roger Penske.

Not sure at all what the schedule will be on Sunday, but 2016 is the 10th Anniversary of Spec Miata as a Runoffs class so there's been discussion about doing something to note that. I do know they usually end the weekend with a 90-minute (or longer) Enduro for a variety of low-powered door-slammers, but you guys should already be on your way home by then.

Also expect spectators and an event program, plus Live Timing and Audio with professional announcers all weekend. It's the closest thing you can get to the Runoffs and you don't need to spend a week in Ohio.
    Butch Kummer
    2006, 2007, 2010 SARRC GTA Champion

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

will this be open to SCCA members who are licensed via the other clubs allowed by the SCCA?

Liked: 202

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    will this be open to SCCA members who are licensed via the other clubs allowed by the SCCA?
    Yes
    Butch Kummer
    2006, 2007, 2010 SARRC GTA Champion

Contributing Member a. pettipas's Avatar
    Liked: 84

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rand View Post
    Clearly that last sentence was not intended for the Florida gang, hope they'll come all the way north to Atlanta, if it isn't to cold for them by November .......
    All the way from FL to GA, that's funny!
    aaron

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

Aaron, don't laugh, I just had a very old pal, Harry Reynolds, two time FC Nat Champ in the 1970's,who was from Pottstown PA back then but has been a Sarasota FL resident going on 27 years now over for dinner during the Lime Rock Historics.
    During dinner he excused himself to "gonna go get a sweater...". I looked at our indoor/outdoor thermometer, it was at 73 degrees outside, maybe 75-76 inside !
    Having lived in central Florida I can attest, it doesn't take all that long for your blood to get thin and acclimated to ambient temps almost all year long between 70-75 and 95-100.
    Sort of like when it hits 45 degrees late March/early April in southern New England and everyone is running around in shorts and t shirts....
    Its just what you are used to I guess.
    And Road Atlanta in the mountains of North Georgia might as well be on a different continent for folks from south Florida.

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 302

"And Road Atlanta in the mountains of North Georgia might as well be on a different continent for folks from south Florida."

A couple years ago (2014) Sunday morning ARRC qualifying it was 32F...

Liked: 1

March,1978 First driver's school:

Sleet during Friday evening school.
    Mid 70's and sunny on Saturday.
    Thunder storms on Sunday. Entry in Log Book: "Rain experienced on Sunday".

What a great weekend!

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information