Liked: 280

Default Watkins Glen Formula Ford Grand Prix Weekend

Hi,

VRG, the Royale Formula Ford Challenge Series and the Right Coast Formula F Series are delighted to announce their first collaborative effort to create a very appealing weekend of Formula Ford, Club Ford and Historic Ford racing at Watkins Glen on October 7, 8 & 9. This unique event will see all vintages of Formula F cars on the historic WGI circuit all at the same time in a multi-race format. We believe that this is the first time since the monumental 40th Anniversary of Formula Ford that slick & treaded tire shod, Ford and Honda powered FF, CF & HF cars will be on track in the same sessions.

All Right Coast and other non-member Formula F drivers and crew are also invited to our usual Royale Series barbecue on Friday night to get to know one another and will be welcome to join us at the VRG cocktail part (free apps & cash bar) and dinner on Saturday night following the Annual General Meeting (dinner to cost $40 a head).

This three-day weekend will see all cars on track three times on Friday, twice Saturday and twice on Sunday. There is an additional feature race on Saturday for all cars that meet the Royale Formula Ford Challenge Series rules, (Ford engines and treaded tires, including pre-aero, post-club cars). A copy of the rules can be found at http://vrgonline.org/ff_challenge/rules.html.

SCCA competition licenses are accepted by VRG and VRG membership is not mandatory for this event. The entry fee schedule for this weekend will be as follows: Early bird entry for VRG members is $395, for non-members $450. Entry thereafter is $450 for members and $500 for non-members. Non-VRG members who are willing to pay an additional $30 get an annual VRG membership good through 2017 included in the entry. Online entry will be on MotorsportReg.com and will open next week (week commencing 29th August) Sign in and credentials will be available at the registration buildings at the upper entrance to the facility.

The Right Coast Formula F Series drivers will be signing in with VRG and will be subject to VRG code of conduct and will be required to attend a driver orientation meeting on Friday morning. The location of the meeting will be announced in the official entry packet. VRG does require a full safety tech inspection of the race car and drivers gear. The location of tech inspection will be announced in the official entry packet.

The starting grid for the first race of the weekend will be determined by fastest lap from qualifying; thereafter, each driver’s fastest lap of the weekend will form the subsequent race grids. It has been determined split starts will be utilized with the Right Coast cars in the first group followed by the cars competing in the Royale Formula Ford Challenge Series.

2hours 15mins of track time at the newly resurfaced Glen Long circuit from as little as $395 (almost 2.75 hrs if you qualify for the Royale Formula Ford Challenge Series race. VRG, Royal Challenge and Right Coast hope that all FF, CF and HF drivers will choose to join us at Watkins Glen for a really unique event that we hope will be the first of many of its kind.

Joe Marcinski
    Right Coast Formula F Series

2. The following 2 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

Oh man, this is gonna be great, Watkins Glen twice within a month, first the Fun One with all the FVEES and F5s September 17-18, long course Sat and short course Sunday, then three weekends to recover and back to the glorious fall weather in the Finger Lakes for this show October 7-9 with what promises to be an astounding assortment of FF and CF of all ages and tires [with all engines welcome !] for what might well a significant gathering. And on the F1 date from the 1960's through the1970's and into the early '80's.
    I don't even need to get into the trans for a ratio change between events !
    Then the very last weekend of October Right Coast at Summit Point and THEN the very next weekend the ARRC at Road Atlanta. As Summit is half way to Rd Atlanta for me I am just going to find stuff to do or people to torment for a few days. Ain't retirement grand.......
    What a schedule of four very cool [literally, given the time of year....] race weekends to top off what has been a great season, for this guy anyway.
    With two at home here at Lime Rock AND two new to me excellent tracks at NJMP-Lightening and Pitt Race, which has vaulted into my personal top three circuits instantly, what a track, plus the always fantastic Mid Ohio.
    Wearing my old butt out !
    To say nothing of the faithful Crossle, thankfully the Fit has removed the motor maintenance issues of my Kent days.
    2016 is going down as the best racing season I have had for literally decades, loved every minute so far and fully anticipate the remainder to be just as good.
    Hope to see everyone at one or more of these four weekends and thanks to all the great FF and CF competitors for some fantastic racing.
    Finally, huge thanks to Joe Marcinski, who presumably will actually get to drive his latest project this weekend at Summit. After dragging the in progress Royale on more interstate miles than the majority of racers with out ever actually getting it in track shape to enjoy.
    Let's see, he took it to Summit last August, maybe somewhere else, then NJMP this past June, then Mid Ohio in July, then Pitt Race in August, lots of miles and now he gets to race it ! Go Joe, have an excellent inaugural race weekend with your new baby !
    And thanks for the season my friend......

Liked: 78

I am signed up for the Watkins Glen event with the VRG. What other RCFFS suspects are planning on running?

Derek,
    As said in post #2 above Rand gets to run the wonderful Watkins Glen twice this year, a mere three weeks apart.
    I am doing the Fun One so get both the Long and Short Course then the VRG weekend early October, so see you there !
    By the way, the early entry for this VRG weekend ends this Saturday and saves you some cash to be well spent at the Seneca Lodge Bar or Nickels BBQ on Main St in town, both reasonable and responsible choices....
    Looking forward to seeing you, are you gonna drag Shayne along with you, I hope ?
    Mike

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1898

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rand View Post
    By the way, the early entry for this VRG weekend ends this Saturday and saves you some cash to be well spent at the Seneca Lodge Bar or Nickels BBQ on Main St in town, both reasonable and responsible choices....

No Mr. Chicken?
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Shayne gave me a choice of him either coming to Summit or Watkins Glen. I am going to guilt him into both. So I think that he will be there for sure. Mike if you need help that weekend and ask Shayne I caution you. Things may fall off of your car if he touches things...

Hi,

Just a reminder or hint for Right Coast drivers; when you go to MotorsportReg, select "FF" as your entry preference. This will help differentiate us for scoring purposes. We will sort out our race group classes for kill stickers and trophies.

Mike A., it will be Mr. Chicken for lunch (EVERY DAY in memory of Joe Stimola). For the longest time, Joe was the only other person that I knew besides me that loved Mr. Chicken!

Thanks,

Joe Marcinski
    Royale RP24 CF #04

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

The schedule they have linked is from 2012, although it is labelled 2016 in one spot and 2008 in another.

Does anyone know what their policy is if you pre-enter then cancel?
    I found FAQ document .... again labelled 2012 ....
    Refund Policy? Full refund if cancelled by October 5th, 50% credit for a future VRG
    event if cancelled thereafter.

Does anyone know if they have fees for less than the entire weekend (one or two days only)?

Thanks!
    Last edited by problemchild; 09.08.16 at 6:03 PM.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 341

So jealous. If it weren't for the little thing of 2600 miles and a race in SoCal the weekend before and taking time off and... and... and.... I would so love to be at this race. A bucket list track for me and a good amount of track time. Other than the fact that it gets cold there in the winter (for the record, being from SoCal, anything below 70F is cold) that track could make it worth living there.

Maybe one of these days I will have the time and lack of conflicts to make my trip to bucket list tracks like:

Watkins Glenn
    Mid-Ohio
    Mosport
    Road Atlanta

But first I need to knock off Laguna Seca which is much closer. Hopefully before it becomes non-existent.

Good luck to everyone fortunate enough to get to this race. Sounds like it will be a lot of fun.

Eric Little

Contributing Member Bernard Bradpiece's Avatar
    Liked: 182

Default VRG Watkins Glen

Greg,
    Don't know where you are looking. If you go to vrgonline.org/events/glen/2016/glen_2016_faq.pdf it indicates full refund if you do not turn a wheel. I do not believe there is a short entry fee planned. http://www.vrgonline.org/events/glen...6_schedule.pdf gets you to the schedule - cannot see 2008 or 2012. The web site is www.vrgonline.org and the 2016 schedule is in the bottom left corner of the page.

Come for the weekend, there is oodles of track time and an ideal opportunity for the two groups to get to know each other.

Let us know if you have other problems.
    Best
    BB

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

Quote Originally Posted by BB2 View Post
    Greg,
    Don't know where you are looking. If you go to vrgonline.org/events/glen/2016/glen_2016_faq.pdf it indicates full refund if you do not turn a wheel. I do not believe there is a short entry fee planned. http://www.vrgonline.org/events/glen...6_schedule.pdf gets you to the schedule - cannot see 2008 or 2012. The web site is www.vrgonline.org and the 2016 schedule is in the bottom left corner of the page.

Come for the weekend, there is oodles of track time and an ideal opportunity for the two groups to get to know each other.

Let us know if you have other problems.
    Best
    BB
    Thanks. Someone should correct the links at the registration site. That schedule has Pro F1600 and F2000 as groups 5 & 6.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Hi,

Need to amend my advice on which entry to select. VRG has actually added an "RCFFS Group" as an entry choice and we would like the Right Coast drivers to choose that one.

Greg, I have contacted one of the principals at VRG and asked the question. If he does not reply here I will pass his answer on.

I can't wait to get to Mr. Chicken; I mean Watkins Glen International........................

Joe M.

Liked: 229

Default Canadian license holders

Will a Canadian race license be accepted, specifically CASC.
    Brian.

Default CASC License

Get those spanners wrenching and your entry in. CASC license is acceptable to VRG.

Best
    BB
    Royale Formula Ford Challenge Series sponsored by Hoosier

Liked: 322

Left coast....... Left coast......... Time to expand towards me!!

Sounds like a great time, wish I were closer
    -John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M
    (‘72 Royale RP16 stolen in 2022)

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Marcinski View Post

Mike A., it will be Mr. Chicken for lunch (EVERY DAY in memory of Joe Stimola). For the longest time, Joe was the only other person that I knew besides me that loved Mr. Chicken!
    Joe loved anything fried or anything you happened to have in your hand at the time. Half the crap I know about race cars was bought from Joe with my Mom's Walnut brownies.

18. The following members LIKED this post:

Default Left Coast, Left Coast............

Hi John,

There is a series closer to you that is very similar to what we are doing at Right Coast. You probably already know Norm Marshall, but just in case you don't his e-mail address is normmarshall608@gmail.com. Norm is one of the principals in the "Formula Ford Series" (which used to be called "Formula Ford, The Series").

I met with Norm, Stewart Patterson and Shawn Hudspeth back in June to discuss things like common rule set, tire decisions, possible collaboration in race weekends, etc. Norm and I have had a few conversation since then just to follow up. They were getting ready to open a website, but I have been so busy between work, our series and getting my Royale finished that we have not spoken in a while.

I was planning to get in touch when I go back to CA in a couple of weeks. Now that the super hot summer weather should be subsiding, they should be starting up their race program again. I would suggest getting in touch with Norm to see where and what they are up to now.

Best regards,

Joe Marcinski

20. The following members LIKED this post:

Mr Chicken, at least once a day, sometimes lunch sometimes dinner, wow, what a weekend.
    Nickels BBQ for dinner after Mr Chicken for lunch, sign me up !
    Mayhaps a nightcap at the Seneca bar.
    What could possibly go wrong ?
    Or be better ?
    One of the worlds great race tracks and all that good food and drink, I can't wait....
    Hey Joe, let's have a Right Coast meeting each day, one day at Mr Chicken, next at Nickels, then return to M Chicken [going French this time....].

We are up to 6 RCFFS entries for the VRG weekend. I know that we can easily make that 10. I cant be the only one going with Mike to Mr Chicken...

Contributing Member
    Liked: 49

I'm going. Just have to sign up.

Good news.

Hi,

We are now about 10 days from load in at Watkins Glen. At this moment, Race Group 2 has 32 cars entered. Every single one is a Formula F. We have 9 Right Coast entrants and we are pushing really hard to get at least 11 more.

Give that some thought; 43 FF's on the long course at WGI. Been a very long time since we could say or see that....................

You are gonna love the magnificent repaved Glen circuit. Gone are the moguls going into Turn 1 as are the concrete patches at every apex. The track has not been this good since the reconstruction in 1971!

So please hop onto MotorsportReg.com and sign up.

Thanks,

Joe Marcinski
    Royale RP24 Club Ford #04
    Last edited by Joe Marcinski; 09.26.16 at 8:02 PM. Reason: I know how to spell; I just don't know how to type!

Liked: 157

Default Signed Up

Not sure why my entry does not show up. Maybe a delay on M/Reg

I did sign up a while ago

Cannot wait!

Liked: 157

Default Schedule

Looking at the VRG website and schedule there is SCCA On Track Time fist thing Friday and then there is Group 2. I assume RCFFS is in VRG Group 2. Can someone confirm that for me?? If that is the case there is no need to rush over there on Thursday night?? Liking this more and more

Looking at the SCCA schedule it looks like one could enter that event as well and get out on track 4 or 5 times a day

Steve
    Last edited by Roux; 09.26.16 at 8:50 PM.

Hi,

VRG Race Group 2 is the run group that the Formula F cars will race in.

I have not looked into the SCCA portion of the weekend because the primary focus of this weekend is to see how we work with the Formula Ford group that is tied to VRG.

I hope that answers the question.

Thanks,

Joe M.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 49

I haven't researched it, but I thought that someone (Joe?)said the SCCA regional was a restricted enduro, not a full slate, so I assume there isn't a formula car group.

Hi,

The Glen Region schedule for their portion of the weekend's program has been released only in the last few days. Phil is correct in that there was a time when it appeared to me that the SCCA portion was going to be limited to a regional enduro and I made that statement.

The current SCCA schedule shows a 20 minute qualifying session on Friday morning and 30 minute race on Saturday morning. That is the total track time available to entrants in the SCCA regional.

As Steve Roux has pointed out; a driver who enters both the VRG/Right Coast AND the Glen Region events on the weekend can be on track four (4) times on Friday and 3 times on Saturday.

I hope that helps clarify things a bit.

Joe M.
    Last edited by Joe Marcinski; 09.27.16 at 7:58 AM. Reason: corrected the SCCA track times

Contributing Member
    Liked: 302

Default At the bottom

Steve - you are at the very bottom of the entry list after Group 4. Don't asked me why but that is where you are. You have no car # listed - that may have something to do with it.

Ed

As of a few minutes ago this morning Steve Roux is there as an RCFFS entrant, but Eddie, where are you on that list ?
    Hmmmmm ?????
    Ed, come on man, you'd make RCFFS an even dozen to add to the hordes of VRG HF and treaded tired CF cars, as Joe posted, an over 40 car FF/CF field in total is absolutely possible !

I'll be up there with my 510. Somebody find a spare FF and I'll hop in that too.

Default Right Coast Watkins Glen

Week to go - we are up to 36 total as I write. 11 Right Coast, 25 Royale Challenge Series.

Can we make it 40?

BB

Thread Information