Thread: Popups

Liked: 9

Default Popups

Just repaired my cheap 10x10 popup for the, maybe, 4th time. Looking for a replacement 10x15 and found that the "heavy duty" models are 80lb or more. My current unit is 27 lb. What are the rest of you using? Any recommendations?
    Mark
    1990 Van Diemen, the Racing Machine, CM AutoX, 2016 Frontier
    You can try to make a street car into an autocrosser or you can do a lot less work and make a race car into a great autocrosser

Liked: 553

About 10 years ago I bought the expensive EZ Up model (Eclipse? Elite?) Mine is a 10'x20' and it is pretty heavy. In a pinch I can set it up by myself but not easily. On the plus side, it is still in pretty good shape after years of use at the track (and other places).

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
    About 10 years ago I bought the expensive EZ Up model (Eclipse? Elite?) Mine is a 10'x20' and it is pretty heavy. In a pinch I can set it up by myself but not easily. On the plus side, it is still in pretty good shape after years of use at the track (and other places).
    Rus, I looked at EZ Ups and they are really nice, at about double the cost of the cheaper 10x15's. I haven't rolled it out.
    Mark
    You can try to make a street car into an autocrosser or you can do a lot less work and make a race car into a great autocrosser

Liked: 553

I'm a cheapskate with a small racing budget and the only reason I was able to pull off the top quality EZ-Up purchase was because my wife wanted something nice for an upcoming family reunion backyard party. :-)

Before the EZ-Up I used the conduit poles and tarp type awning. The EZ-Up is way nicer.

Liked: 62

Default Eurmax

Check out Eurmax. They seam to have a good price range. Free shipping in the US and the quality looks pretty good??? I've been thinking about getting a couple 10X15's???

Liked: 65

whatever you get, Please tie it down even if the forecast calls for no wind.

7. The following 2 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by TedV View Post
    whatever you get, Please tie it down even if the forecast calls for no wind.
    Ok, Ted. I usually connect one side to my trailer.

Quote Originally Posted by SV@RHC View Post
    Check out Eurmax. They seam to have a good price range. Free shipping in the US and the quality looks pretty good??? I've been thinking about getting a couple 10X15's???
    Eurmax it is. Good price, free shipping, alum and extra thick canvas material in my color. Thank you.
    Mark

Liked: 227

I am as cheap as they come (I race in F500 - duh), but I spent a little more on an EZ Up tent for one reason: replacement parts. Pop up tents will get damaged. It's a fact of life and racing. Writing off Walmart specials every time they get damaged will quickly cost more than buying 1 EZ Up and repairing it with readily available replacement parts.

I know there are other tent manufacturers that make pop ups that can be repaired, and sell repair parts, so EZ Up is not necessarily the only right answer.

Cory

Liked: 208

Quote Originally Posted by mwizard View Post
    Ok, Ted. I usually connect one side to my trailer.
    Connect both sides. I have two 10x10 EZ Ups and they have each gone airborn in even a moderate amount of wind.
    Ralph Z
    1968 Alexis Mk14 Formula Ford

Liked: 942

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Z. View Post
    Connect both sides. I have two 10x10 EZ Ups and they have each gone airborn in even a moderate amount of wind.
    I know of a fellow FF driver who paid for a roof paint job on a fellow FF driver's brand new BMW.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Quote Originally Posted by DanW View Post
    I know of a fellow FF driver who paid for a roof paint job on a fellow FF driver's brand new BMW.
    Ouch!
    Ralph Z

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Z. View Post
    I hook the other side to the race car or sandbags.
    Mark

I bring 5 gallon pails and fill with water so we don't have to carry the water weight when towing.
    Ralph Z

Classifieds Super License Matt Clark's Avatar
    Liked: 355

just want to remind anyone that may have forgotten, we get a 25% discount on EZ Ups with SCCA membership. I try to check before I get anything anymore, as I lose track of what some of the perks are.

http://www.scca.com/pages/member-benefits
    ~Matt Clark | RTJ-02 FV #92 | My YouTube Onboard Videos (helmet cam)

Liked: 43

The Karting community discovered Eurmax canopies a couple years ago, now that's what most use. I have a 10 x 20 pro model for $700, you can add the sides with a screen window and door for $200 more. Much heavier duty than the ez up. Comes with nice rolling bag too.

Liked: 99

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
    +1. Had several of the cheap variants and got a 20 x 10 EZ Up a few years ago, worth every penny. Customer service is amazing with them as well.
    -Nick

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Finlayson View Post
    The Karting community discovered Eurmax canopies a couple years ago, now that's what most use. I have a 10 x 20 pro model for $700, you can add the sides with a screen window and door for $200 more. Much heavier duty than the ez up. Comes with nice rolling bag too.
    Got my Eurmax this morning. What a major upgrade from the cheap Caravan model. I am pleased.
    Mark

New popup did not fare well on its first outing. A brief up lift picked it and 3 10lb sand bags up and turned it over. One lower leg broke off(where it was tied to the trailer) The rest of it is ok The company says they have spare parts.
    Mark

Classifieds Super License Matt Clark's Avatar
    Liked: 355

huh. which model did you get?
    we are seriously considering one of the Eurmax Pro hex pole ones after my Ozark Trail one collapsed the first day I had it up.
    ~Matt Clark | RTJ-02 FV #92 | My YouTube Onboard Videos (helmet cam)

Liked: 62

Default Eurmax

I just received two 10X15 pro's. They look good out of the box?? I guess time will tell. nice hear that parts are available if needed.

Liked: 99

I picked up a Quik Shade Commercial off Amazon for $130 to put next to my current EZup Express ii.

Although the headroom is nice, I don't like canopies without the cross bracing - the quick Shade is noticeably more flimsy than the EZ up. It also has plastic feet vs. the welded on metal ones of the EZup.

The next pop up I get will be an EZup pyramid or better. Its wort the cost.
    Brandon L. #96 FF
    -PM me for RF85/86 bellhousing

New popup did not fare well on its first outing. A brief up lift picked it and 3 10lb sand bags up and turned it over. One lower leg broke off(where it was tied to the trailer) The rest of it is ok The company says they have spare parts.
    Mark
    Got a new lower leg in 3 days. Next event I will add another strap from the middle to something really heavy.
    Mark

Liked: 307

Mark
    10 pound sand bags aren't securement.

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    10 pound sand bags aren't securement.
    I got it. I now do 25 lb on 2 corners and the other 2 tied to my trailer(700lb).
    Mark

Classifieds Super License Raceworks's Avatar
    Liked: 215

I've had good luck with a brand called Undercover. Retail is $499 for a 10x20 and about $250 for a 10x10. Fairly sturdy aluminum design. They have a sandbag kit for about $69 that you can fill with up to 70# of sand each & they come with tiedowns.

You can get them direct from the factory with free ground shipping in the continental US, or hunt around the Internet (Amazon had the 10x20's at a deep discouint a year ago).
    Sam Lockwood
    Raceworks, Inc
    www.lockraceworks.com

Thread Information