Liked: 1

Post Dads birthday coming up soon

Hey guys,

My farther has been a fan of formula racing since he was young having old signed posters even vintage car models that he keeps in glass cabinets around the house, these at the minute are his pride and joy. Now i want to get him the real thing but it needs to be a project for him to build from scratch in the garage, hes not long retired so it gives him something to do! i have been looking on kit cars for sale sites to find the perfect one for him, I come across MK4 Roadster which is a classic and the engine is beastly so this sounds like a winner! does anyone on here have any experience in building kit cars or has even maybe built an MK4 before? What are your general experiences in building kit cars? any hint's and hacks greatly appreciated!

Any information shared would be great as i don't know a great deal about this kind of thing it's for my farther as a gift from me

Thanks
    Last edited by 2fastapex; 08.28.16 at 11:04 PM. Reason: More information

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 3787

Scott Woodruff (Formula Super on Apexspeed has built one successfully)

Liked: 79

I have built 2 Cobra kit cars- first was a Factory Five and later an ERA. The Factory Five was a well built chassis and concept where you take a Fox body Mustang and use the drivetrain from it. Once I started, I decided on an independent rear axle, better brakes, front suspension, etc. By the time I was done, I hardly used anything from the Mustang and it drove the cost up. I decided I wanted something much closer to the real thing.

So I ended up with the ERA which is a beautiful piece. There are many others like Kirkham who build fantastic cars. Do a lot of research before you spend the money. This is not something to do on impulse. Some places to start:

clubcobra.com

www.erareplicas.com

Best place to shop for a Cobra:

http://www.cobracountry.com/

Good luck

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Default FFR Cobra Roadster

The FFR replica is the only one I have experience with, however I have read it's the most complete & best supported kit on the market. I used a 97 Mustang Cobra for the donor car with the aluminum 32 valve DOHC 4.6 engine, 5 speed, rack & pinion power steering & ABS brake system. Custom carbon fiber top with removable 'swing up to open' Lexan/carbon fiber windows & a heater for all season operation. The top stays on in summer also, Atlanta's sun is unbearable. 1000 watt stereo, because side pipes are pretty loud, even with 2 sets of silencers in each side. Caution, a snake will bite if not treated with respect.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

6. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 433

Sounds like you are a good son. Great to see.
    Graham

Quote Originally Posted by B Reid View Post
    I have built 2 Cobra kit cars- first was a Factory Five and later an ERA. The Factory Five was a well built chassis and concept where you take a Fox body Mustang and use the drivetrain from it. Once I started, I decided on an independent rear axle, better brakes, front suspension, etc. By the time I was done, I hardly used anything from the Mustang and it drove the cost up. I decided I wanted something much closer to the real thing.

So I ended up with the ERA which is a beautiful piece. There are many others like Kirkham who build fantastic cars. Do a lot of research before you spend the money. This is not something to do on impulse. Some places to start:

clubcobra.com

www.erareplicas.com

Best place to shop for a Cobra:

http://www.cobracountry.com/

Good luck
    Couple great links you have their and everyone also praises the kit car on here which is good but your right i do have a lot of research to do it is good to know that there are also a few other good options. i will get back to everyone soon

As i have been doing some research and checking on the garage it looks like i am going to have to get my farther some more tools as well unless hes got more stashed somewhere. I am going to have to bring him in on the surprise soon

Liked: 80

Default my $.02.......

about 10 years ago i got to play with a buddy's "unique" brand replica.

a "429" that was a bit bigger than that. over 500 hp.

way too much fun.

what a great present.

That's what i am aiming for not just to give him something to do in his free time but so we can take it out together and go a bit crazy

Thread Information