Contributing Member
    Liked: 47

Default cockpit surround release pins

What is this pin mechanism?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2016-08-16 at 3.51.16 PM.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	81.1 KB 
ID:	63120  

Liked: 66

They are called Ball Lock Pins or PIP Pins...............Carr Lane Mfg. or McMaster Carr

Contributing Member

I thought so but cannot find a manufacturer that makes that style of handle.

Liked: 66

I listed two above, in fact I just bought a bunch of pins, same style, from Carr Lane Mfg. in St. Louis

Liked: 5

Quote Originally Posted by mousecatcher View Post
    I thought so but cannot find a manufacturer that makes that style of handle.
    That's because it's not from Carr-lane or Mcmaster; They are Alcoa Cam-loc fasteners with a custom pull-ring handle. Crawford may have a part number.

http://www.afsrcamloc.net/
    http://www.afsrcamloc.net/prod1.php?lang=en
    Andrew Spencer
    1990 Red Devil F500

Contributing Member

I have a car with what I guess is 2600 or 2700 series cam loc fasteners. It's a knurled stud head. It's functional with gloves, but the pin is retained on the cockpit surround -- it doesn't come free like a pip pin would. That's actually great as you don't have a small fastener to get lost, but OTOH the pointy end of the fastener scrapes the tub during install/removal of the surround. It requires care during install/removal to avoid the scraping. I haven't tried clear or other tape on the area yet but I suspect the pin would cut through it too quickly anyway. Anyway I have a car with scraped paint all over the area as testament to the issue so I was looking for something not-a-camloc.

Also having used simple clevis pins with the reusable cotter pin clip I think I prefer a loose pin than a captive pin.

I know, of all the stupid useless things to care about this is pretty low. But I'm fitting a new cockpit surround now and so it's time well spent.

I did just find something called a double acting pin. It's like a pip pin but you can just pull the handle and it releases. That seems pretty glove friendly so I think I'll try it out.

I have a car with what I guess is 2600 or 2700 series cam loc fasteners. It's a knurled stud head. It's functional with gloves, but the pin is retained on the cockpit surround -- it doesn't come free like a pip pin would. That's actually great as you don't have a small fastener to get lost, but OTOH the pointy end of the fastener scrapes the tub during install/removal of the surround. It requires care during install/removal to avoid the scraping. I haven't tried clear or other tape on the area yet but I suspect the pin would cut through it too quickly anyway. Anyway I have a car with scraped paint all over the area as testament to the issue so I was looking for something not-a-camloc.

Also having used simple clevis pins with the reusable cotter pin clip I think I prefer a loose pin than a captive pin.

I know, of all the stupid useless things to care about this is pretty low. But I'm fitting a new cockpit surround now and so it's time well spent.

I did just find something called a double acting pin. It's like a pip pin but you can just pull the handle and it releases. That seems pretty glove friendly so I think I'll try it out.
    Have you thought about expanding pins from Carr-lane?
    Andrew Spencer
    1990 Red Devil F500

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by aims20 View Post
    Have you thought about expanding pins from Carr-lane?
    I hadn't. They seem pretty expensive, $75 for the smallest one. Have you used them with success? They do seem nice and the cost of the pin may be made up for by an easy installation. Only need a minimum length of retaining hole, not a precise length.

I hadn't. They seem pretty expensive, $75 for the smallest one. Have you used them with success? They do seem nice and the cost of the pin may be made up for by an easy installation. Only need a minimum length of retaining hole, not a precise length.
    I have used them in a few designs at my full time nuclear job. The cam handles were the style we used for positioning a hydraulic drill boring a ~ 4 and 1/2" hole and 5.5" weld prep. They weren't taking the thrust load, but they were still subjected to all of the vibration. Never came loose, and were quick to deploy in the field. I would give them a shot if I had a head surround in my F500.
    Andrew Spencer
    1990 Red Devil F500

Thread Information