Liked: 72

Default F4 runs at Mid Ohio

16 cars took a standing start at Mid Ohio last weekend for the inaugural race of the SCCA/FIA F4 series. I heard that Derek Walker and staff had a great kickoff and folks really like the standing start..
    I understand there were a lot of spectators and would enjoy hearing from any of you that watched the race.
    The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views and opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR. thanks, Brian McCarthy, BOD area 9.

Contributing Member Steve Bamford's Avatar
    Liked: 619

Quote Originally Posted by budawe View Post
    16 cars took a standing start at Mid Ohio last weekend for the inaugural race of the SCCA/FIA F4 series. I heard that Derek Walker and staff had a great kickoff and folks really like the standing start..
    I understand there were a lot of spectators and would enjoy hearing from any of you that watched the race.
    There were 14 cars racing. Would have been more however those are all the cars so far produced by Crawford. There will be more cars at the next race weekend as more cars are finished.

It was run at an All Formula Car Weekend put on by FRP. I wouldn't say there were a lot of spectators but there were some who seemed to watch most of the other races as well.
    Steve Bamford

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member steve everard's Avatar
    Liked: 11

How was the race itself Steve, close, safe driving etc ? lots of talent ?
    How did it compare to your other races.

Quote Originally Posted by steve everard View Post
    How was the race itself Steve, close, safe driving etc ? lots of talent ?
    How did it compare to your other races.
    Lots of talent & will likely be more joining as cars become available. Drafting is not easy nor does it make a difference to the racing like it is does in F1600. We had some issues with the car, as some other teams did, but that is some what to be expected with a brand new car at its first race event.

Overall I would say this type of car is the car of the present & future for ladder type series racing. I will add that I think this should be a step after F1600 as I believe there is a lot of race craft that can be learned there along with mechanical grip before this step.
    Steve Bamford

Liked: 53

The common feedback from teams (like us) and drivers about the first event was that it was a great success and well worth the wait after the initial delays. The series did a great job running a very professional event. The paddocked area looked great, the competition level an quality of teams is very intense as well.

Track support from Crawford, Honda, GEMS, Pirelli, was fantastic. Any question or issue that came up they were there to take care of it.

The standing starts went great. To be honest going into the weekend I was not looking forward standing starts. I would have never guessed that 3 starts with 14 cars that saw most drivers under the age of 20 would see 0 stalled cars on the grid.

I would not really say they were fans since it was a low profile weekend. But should be a good crowd when we go back in a few weeks with NASCAR XFInity and Trans Am

We have seen quite the dramatic increase of people wanting to test and race with us now that everybody see's its officially real and how great it was, and we are trying to get more cars.

Here is some in-car from pre season testing. Hoping to get some race footage up soon. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8vUxYtNYBo

Looking forward to seeing the TV broadcast as well!!
    Group-A Racing
    Blue Marble Cocktails Radical Cup & Exclusive North East Radical Sports Car Dealer
    (631) 974-4379
    www.GroupARacingTeam.com

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Is it my imagination or was there a good bit of understeer in the car.

Or do they simply have a slow ratio rack?

Nice sounding cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Demeter View Post
    Is it my imagination or was there a good bit of understeer in the car.

Or do they simply have a slow ratio rack?

Nice sounding cars.
    Yes there were some issues with understeer compounded with some issues we had made it worse.
    Steve Bamford

Liked: 151

Optimistically, I would put the number of F4 specific spectators at zero. Total, there seemed to be a handful of spectators but they were watching most/all of the races.

I'm not sure who told you that there were a lot of spectators, but I believe you have been misled. There were several of us from the other run groups who watched the first session or watched the first standing start. I'm sure we wouldn't meet any reasonable person's standard to be considered a "spectator."

My impression was that there is a huge disparity in driving talent. There were some good drivers and some who didn't even know to apply the brakes when they spun. The paddock setup was much more about putting on a show for the participants and the people writing the checks than for whatever spectators there might be. It's another spec class. That's hardly a revolutionary idea.

After hearing about all of the challenges with the Crawford car in FL, I'm interested in how the cars held up. I saw one or two cars come in on the hook that looked like they might have had an issue with wheel retention(stub axle), but that could have been from on track contact. So, were there issues with the car?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Liked: 309

What were lap times like? Club course or Pro?
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Clayton View Post
    What were lap times like? Club course or Pro?
    Pro, 1.26's were fast times. Not sure why times make a diff though to be fair as it is a spec class.
    Steve Bamford

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1906

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    I'm sure we wouldn't meet any reasonable person's standard to be considered a "spectator."
    You were probably only out there looking for your hero.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

14. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Bamford View Post
    Pro, 1.26's were fast times. Not sure why times make a diff though to be fair as it is a spec class.
    Knowing the times helps us place the cars in their respective place on the scale of FV to FA. For instance, for us the difference between the Club and Pro courses was about 1.5 seconds, which puts current F4 times about where the FM Club record is. The F4s will get a bit faster, of course, but they aren't in FA territory. Just curious, is all.
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 151

Quote Originally Posted by stonebridge20 View Post
    You were probably only out there looking for your hero.

When you have front row seats to the **** show, you watch.

The SCCA's choice to promote this scam artist remains inexplicable. The problem isn't just the failure to pay prize money. I am aware of drivers who gave Jon Lewis a lot of money for a season of racing and never got any seat time or money back. SCCA pro should be ashamed of themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Knowing the times helps us place the cars in their respective place on the scale of FV to FA. For instance, for us the difference between the Club and Pro courses was about 1.5 seconds, which puts current F4 times about where the FM Club record is. The F4s will get a bit faster, of course, but they aren't in FA territory. Just curious, is all.
    Not sure about Club records, do know the Pro records but I would not use them to figure out where the F4 car is as the track evolves each & everyday. I would prefer to use FC & FF times from the weekends as a reference point. 23.7 in FC & 28.8 or 28.9 in FF were the fast times if I recall. 26.4 was the F4 low times I believe.

Pro records are well below these numbers in FC & FF so that is why I am saying I would compare using these times as to where the car is verses against lap records.
    Steve Bamford

Not sure about Club records, do know the Pro records but I would not use them to figure out where the F4 car is as the track evolves each & everyday. I would prefer to use FC & FF times from the weekends as a reference point. 23.7 in FC & 28.8 or 28.9 in FF were the fast times if I recall. 26.4 was the F4 low times I believe. Records are well below those numbers in FC & FF so that is why I am saying I would compare to these as to where the car is verses against lap records.
    I agree with you, Steve...I was just looking for a benchmark.

Also, I was posting just one Region's records, which may or may not represent the actual course records, which I did not locate in a quick search. Here are OVR's Pro course records...
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

I agree with you, Steve...I was just looking for a benchmark.

Also, I was posting just one Region's records, which may or may not represent the actual course records, which I did not locate in a quick search. Here are their Pro course records...
    Those times are way off what has been done on the Pro track in FRP Series. Just for clarity here you are.

1:23.035 FC Lap Record 2014
    1:27.1 is FF Lap Record 2013
    Steve Bamford

Those times are way off what has been done on the Pro track in FRP Series. Just for clarity here you are.

1:23.035 FC Lap Record 2014
    1:27.1 is FF Lap Record 2013
    Thanks!
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1906

This dude had a long history of douchery even before Jeremy stuck a bike engine in an FC car.

Back in the day, I started putting a F1000 deal together for my boy Treadway. I looked at who was at the helm and decided to wait a year and see how the series panned out. I'm not sure who was luckier we didn't tool up for that mess, him or us.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

22. The following 2 users liked this post:

Thread Information