Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Classifieds Super License Matt Clark's Avatar
    Liked: 356

Quote Originally Posted by Hardingfv32 View Post
    18 FV's and 12 C Cup entries for Thompson next weekend.

Could this be considered an accurate representation of where/how NE FV competitors stand on the subject of slicks vs radials?

Is there still doubt about why SCCA is going with a slick tire?

Just letting the 'known' facts do my talking.

Brian
    This is definitely NOT the weekend to judge the Challenge Cup support. If we could get everyone in CC at the track on the same weekend, we'd have over 30 cars alone.
    For many reasons, not everyone will be able to be at each race. Watch Pitt & the Glen yet. Also don't forget, the Runoffs are at Mid-Ohio again, a lot more of the NEFV cars are prepping for that.
    I will admit I still am not the biggest fan of the particular wheel & tire we are using at the moment, the radial tire is still the way to go, and the interest & turnouts are supporting that. More people are getting out, more people are running at the front, and the ease of the weekend cannot be beat.
    ~Matt Clark | RTJ-02 FV #92 | My YouTube Onboard Videos (helmet cam)

Liked: 109

18 FV's and 12 C Cup entries for Thompson next weekend.

Could this be considered an accurate representation of where/how NE FV competitors stand on the subject of slicks vs radials?

Is there still doubt about why SCCA is going with a slick tire?

Just letting the 'known' facts do my talking.

Brian
    Brain. Im with you on the known facts.

Fact: June 2014, Nelson Ledges, Two FV drivers started running radials for series points. With the Challenge Cup against a field on slicks.

Fact: End of season average car count for 2015. (First years of radials only) was 16 cars

Fact: July 2016. 19 car average this season.

Facts are good to know. Thanks for paying attention to our series. Dean

3. The following 9 users liked this post:

Liked: 53

Default Hummmm

G. Brian Metcalf
    72 AutoD MK4
    1991 Mysterian M2
    2014 ALR73 FV/FST

Contributing Member
    Liked: 290

NO

Brian

Liked: 53

NO

Brian
    I would hope not, but how can you be so certain? Do you have a Chrystal ball Brian?
    G. Brian Metcalf
    72 AutoD MK4
    1991 Mysterian M2
    2014 ALR73 FV/FST

Liked: 174

G.B.M,

You should know by now that he's Nostradumbarse!

Mark

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 115

Default Spec Tire

With the purchase of Hoosier Tires by Continental AG, it may solve the spec tire debate. Hoosier is no longer that aw shucks down home family tire maker that wants to keep everyone racing. They are now a small cog in the Continental AG machine and every aspect will be examined by some bean counter in some far away place.... Our slicks may go the way of Goodyear slicks....

10. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member

I have not been off the mark on very much concerning the FV Spec Tire subject.

They are coming boys and girls!

Brian

Senior Member Diamond Level Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 93

I have not been off the mark on very much concerning the FV Spec Tire subject.

They are coming boys and girls!

Brian
    If that is true that is welcomed news to me!
    Scott

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4353

I don't know if spec tires will make it for 2017 or not, but if not, it will be much more because of the general upheaval at SCCA than because of some change at Hoosier.

Hoosier would be an attractive purchase because of their expertise, and their ability to react to their customers needs in such a short response time. They may be the most responsive and flexible tire company of it's size in the world, solving issues in days that would take other companies months, if not years. Bruce and his people are a big part of that, and since Continental have been working with them for many years, one has to assume, they are well aware of that.

Judging by some of the strategic commitments made by Hoosier recently, again, one would have to assume the announcement was made today, but the process has been underway for some time.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

14. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 51

Default Challenge Cup Series a Success??

The whole argument for the use of radial tires is based on the limited success of the The Challenge Cup Series. You cannot isolate the use of radials from other factors that went into the organization of the Cup Series. Your cause and affect simply cannot be substantiated as presented.

1) If this is such a great idea.... why has it not been duplicated anywhere else? I would say it toke a lot more the an inexpensive tire package to develop the Series.

Continuing to raise the success of the The Challenge Cup Series is pointless. Very few FV competitors outside the NE know that it exists. The whole concept of the Series fails to resinate with the vast majority of FV competitors.

Brian
    Such a success Brian Harding that the Challenge Cup got invited by VW South Africa and Hankook Tyres to compete at the 50th Anniversary. Four Challenge cup drivers are sponsored to arrive and drive with entry, accommodation and drives for free.

Once again your ignorance, why don't the Elite got chosen to represent the US? We now have deals with South Africa this December....Netherlands next year and Germany the year after.

ps...the Challenge Cup will host drivers from as much as four nations from across the pond in 2017. (Germany, Nederland, Norway and South Africa...there's also a possibility for one female driver from Kenia)

*Not an eye opener yet Brian??

16. The following 7 users liked this post:

Contributing Member

I have no idea how the drivers were chosen but it was not a performance based criteria. I have never heard of most the CS participants how is someone outside the US going to know them. Is this some kind of 'vanity' type event?

The continued use of the word 'elite' implies an inferiority complex on someones part.

Brian

Brian,

All the drivers mentioned would beat you in a Vee and many have been to the Runoff's and have achieved success there. Have you ever raced at the runoff's as I don't ever remember your name if you did??? You like to pontificate from your residence on the left coast, but offer nothing more than scorn for those who add to the class, which we all know that you don't! Instead of ridiculing the FV community, you should work with those who want to improve the class and promote it. It's easy to try and knock it but much harder to work in a positive manner!

Mark

Citation #66
    Last edited by Amon; 10.13.16 at 1:50 PM.

19. The following 4 users liked this post:

Default Nice that time proof you wrong.

The whole argument for the use of radial tires is based on the limited success of the The Challenge Cup Series. You cannot isolate the use of radials from other factors that went into the organization of the Cup Series. Your cause and affect simply cannot be substantiated as presented.

1) If this is such a great idea.... why has it not been duplicated anywhere else? I would say it toke a lot more the an inexpensive tire package to develop the Series.

2) The San Francisco Region had a very successful Regional series using a spec AR tire. After over a decade in use the Regional series has completely died. Is this a clear example where a cost effective spec tire failed to keep the class going?

Continuing to raise the success of the The Challenge Cup Series is pointless. Very few FV competitors outside the NE know that it exists. The whole concept of the Series fails to resinate with the vast majority of FV competitors.

Brian
    It's really nice that time proofed you wrong. Go to Formula Vee Brasilia that's now partners with the Challenge Cup as is Formula Vee South Africa. We now have Brazilians and South Africans racing in every Challenge Cup Race. The same for Challenge Cup drivers racing internationally. Myself, David Taylor and Michael Varacins just returned from Brazil racing in the intercontinental Challenge Cup. All three drivers did well. The same for the group of Challenge Cup drivers racing in South Africa. Our drivers have the opportunity to race in Brazil, South Africa, UK, Ireland, Holland and Australia under agreement. The first race in 2017 would see drivers from four different countries that would include four national champs. Should have about 30 Challenge Cup vees on the grid. Maybe not known by you but known by most international Formula Vee Associations....see the press and media.. Fittipaldi made the announcement life on tv about the Challenge Cup and their partnership. We will have Brazilians at every race...same with SA. Go to Facebook or ask Michael Varacins about the hype in the media about the Challenge Cup. Michael did a great job promoting Challenge Cup on Fox Sport life on tv.....watch this year for a showing of a NASCAR driver at one of our events.
    Last edited by Johan W; 02.11.17 at 12:03 AM.

21. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member

'Very few FV competitors outside the NE (USA) know that it exists. The whole concept of the Series fails to resinate with the vast majority of FV competitors (in USA).'

You have not demonstrated that this statement is wrong.

I will further state that your international activities also fail resinate in the USA. Please explain how anyone would ever notice your activities (in the USA) if they were not posted on this forum?

Brian

Brian
    Johan has done more for formula vee in 2 years then you have done in a lifetime
    Get your head out of the sand ! Sorry your a..!

24. The following 3 users liked this post:

So Brian, What positive actions have you taken to promote Formula Vee racing in the United States? Surely it couldn't be the introduction of the "Monster Mani" that has caused so much controversy and un-needed expense. Please move back from the keyboard and go out and race or do something positive

26. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member

Would the 'radial' competitors be more happy if I began stating 'alternate facts'?

Brain

Contributing Member

Quote Originally Posted by grapefarmeral View Post
    So Brian, What positive actions have you taken to promote Formula Vee racing in the United States? Surely it couldn't be the introduction of the "Monster Mani" that has caused so much controversy and un-needed expense. Please move back from the keyboard and go out and race or do something positive
    I am a car builder not a class promoter.

I provide a product for competitive SCCA FV racers. Focus is on performance not cost. If you do not need the performance... do not buy one.

In the shop 8+ hours a day everyday. Have been doing exhaust development for the last couple of months. Built and tested 6-8 adjustable exhaust system configurations with over with over 600 dyno runs/pulls. Just finished fabricating my first .032" stainless system. What did you do for your FV this week... month?

Brian

For the benefit of the active formula vee community be it challenge cup, regional or major competitors, if you haven't got anything positive to bring to the table . Keep it to yourself.
    Your constant negativism in no way furthers the class .everyone is entitled to their opinion, and my opinion is that you move on .

Respectively

Desmond

30. The following 3 users liked this post:

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

i am waiting on the alternative fax

Brian,
    What car do you manufacture?
    Your second statement explains everything about you. Here is the opening paragraph of the SCCA Formula Vee rules. Pay particular attention to the last five words in the paragraph.
    1. Background A. History and philosophy of the class Formula Vee was recognized by SCCA in 1963. The class is highly restricted, originally requiring the use of genuine VW parts “from the standard Volkswagen 1200 Sedan Series type 1, US model sedan as imported by VW” in the engine, drivetrain and suspension. Over the years, the rules have changed slowly to maintain parts availability and allow a gradual evolution of the class. However, the focus remains the same: to provide a cost effective, highly competitive class that, through consistent and tightly controlled component and preparation rules, emphasizes driver ability rather than technological development of the car. Today, as throughout its long history, FV is one of the most highly subscribed classes in SCCA. The goal of these rules is to maintain both the competitiveness and cost effectiveness of the class.

Most everyone on this list would love to be in the shop 8+ hours a day, but most have day jobs

33. The following 5 users liked this post:

To add to Al's post, I usually work 3-6 hours per weekend
    on my vee, and perhaps 2-4 during the week as I have a
    full time job and sometimes I'm just too tired to work on
    it. I get a lot of satisfaction and peace of mind working
    on the vee but sometimes life gets in the way!
    Last edited by Amon; 02.11.17 at 7:45 PM.

35. The following members LIKED this post:

Default Alternate facts vs true facts...my last response

Would the 'radial' competitors be more happy if I began stating 'alternate facts'?

Brain
    Brian...the true fact in this case is that your way to promote, develop and make formula vee great again perplex me to no end. I promote and invest into formula vee giving back to the sport I love with no monetary gain(I sponsor and invest). Just the joy to be part of a world wide group is a humongous reward. I'm now racing Vees for 40 years. Your into this for the monetary gain and I'm suppose to be a happy customer reading your comments??

I own a few formula vees and have one of your product on one of the vees. As a customer I just wonder why you just dismiss a fair size of the market. Rethink your marketing strategy and way of promoting your expertise...be positive and your market share will increase.

The Challenge Cup is not that irrelevant anymore with bigger names now joining and enjoying our international experience. You probably know by now that Michael Varacins(5 time runoff champ) is now a CC member and joined the Cup in Brazil and later the year in South Africa.

We have three Brazilians joining us at the first race and one South African(May 12 -14th) . There's a possibility that two well known drivers in your world would join us at the first race. One to make sure he beat the Brazilian champ that beat him in Brazil and the second for the fun factor.

Lastly...I spend my hours promoting and investing in Formula Vee not hours to see what I can get out of the sport. You can gain so much more...join a CC race on my account(I will sponsor)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information