Contributing Member
    Liked: 4

Default help identifying hewland

I have an old hewland,has the crown wheel and pinion,the pinion shaft is smooth about 1-3/8 dia has aprox 1/2" cut 1/16" deep about half way down,up near the front has 15 tooth spline takes up about 25%-30% of the shaft has no lay shaft,I believe it to be a mk4 but cant find any pics to prove this and if so how do the gears work (if there are any) what would the lay shaft look like,it had an older rear bearing cover and end piece with it the patina on both did not match the box and were stamped "mk 6" I have aprox 3 boxes of assorted parts if someone has pics or hewland diagram I maybe have the parts to complete, any help would be appreciated

thanks John

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

Maybe if you post some pics of the parts you have (especially case & covers) someone might be able to identify it.

Also, what car is this out of? Those in the know probably know the box from the car.

Liked: 106

These are MK6 pinion shafts.

The layshaft in my MK6 is the same as a MK9.

The dog ring drives all connect together back toward the splined portion of the pinion.

Gary
    Gary Tholl
    #24 BlurredVisionRacing

Contributing Member
    Liked: 4

Thanks ---- David Clubine and Gary T for the pics, thats it, there was no car to compare to just the box,couldnt figure how the gears locked in on the pinion,
    You never stop learning

Liked: 106

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160708_135852.jpg 
Views:	112 
Size:	106.2 KB 
ID:	62306

Here is how the dog rings get back to the splines.

Otherwise, the gear stack is the same as a mk9.

Gary
    Gary Tholl
    #24 BlurredVisionRacing

Contributing Member
    Liked: 20

Default Ring and pinion ID

The one on the right is a modified Volkswagon or Volkswagen ring and pinion from a sixties bug found on all MK6 and MK 7 Hewlands and some MK4's particularly Mk 4 -5 speeds used on many Formula Jr. I have lots of parts for these g/boxes from years of F3-1000cc. The available ratios from VW were not correct for use on FF cars so Hewland made the Mk5 box using it own R and P and changing to the larger gearsand shaft sizes.
    It looks like the one on the left is a later pinion modified to use the Mk4,6,7 hubs used on the VW R and P design.
    WAY too much useless information collected over the last 55 years of Hewland formula car racing.
    Wayne Mitchell dogrings .com wtmitchell28@yahoo.com

Thread Information