Liked: 259

Default collaborative exhaust project for 2017

I'm looking for a FB competitor or car owner potentially interested in a collaborative exhaust development project for 2017. from my perspective, the ideal candidate will be west coast based, have access to an engine dyno, have previous/current Runoffs experience, and already have equal length 4:1 primaries presented in firing order (CW or CCW) at the collector interface. a collector/tailpipe assembly project is my objective, not a complete exhaust system project.

Art
    artesmith@earthlink.net

Liked: 259

I've finally figured out why all the interest (reads) and no response; it's definitely taken me a while to recognize the obvious! "collaborative exhaust development project for 2017" is NOT an innovative approach for finding a "financial benefactor" or "Sugar Daddy"; it's an attempt to acquire consistent/current basic FB engine DATA AND a potential venue to showcase the technology at the Runoffs! the cost of dyno testing back-to-back collector/tailpipe assemblies is the sole potential financial exposure of participating. purchase of new or used development hardware for subsequent use on the track is not required, but assumed more than likely given expected dyno testing results.

as a result of dyno testing last August, I'm currently in the process of having five sets of hydro-forming tools for next generation collector and tailpipe components made. again based on testing, it's my sense the FFord optimized components properly configured in a system sense have considerable promise, with little or no tailoring, for use on other engines currently using 1.50" OD primaries. higher engine speeds in FB put a premium on scavenging (much shorter time AND larger inertia effects) and I'm therefore anticipating higher percentage improvements when hardware is tested. see "Exhaust System Technology - The Sound and The Fury" by Jack Kane (http://www.epi-eng.com/piston_engine...technology.htm) for insight into some of the things F1 teams are doing to improve scavenging at higher engine speeds. clearly being able to sell parts from the same tooling to competitors in multiple classes has the potential to pay for my tooling quicker.

FB engine data needed:
    1.) exhaust valve open (EVO) in crankshaft degrees from TDC (modulo 720°)
    2.) exhaust valve close (EVC) in crankshaft degrees from TDC (modulo 720°)
    3.) intake valve open (IVO) in crankshaft degrees from TDC (modulo 720°)
    4.) intake valve close (IVC) in crankshaft degrees from TDC (modulo 720°)
    5.) distance from exhaust valve seat to exhaust flange or bottom of primary socket hole in inches or mm
    6.) connecting rod center-to-center distance in inches or mm
    7.) crankshaft stroke in inches or mm
    8.) current prepared power/usage range; rpm1 to rpm2
    9.) exhaust flow area at the exhaust flange surface or bottom of the primary socket hole in square inches or square centimeters. (inside diameter (ID) will suffice if the flow area is round)
    10.) can the ignition timing be compliantly retarded from factory setting?

nothing else is needed until initial next generation development parts are available. at that point decisions will have to be made on collector and tailpipe routing. all of the collector and tailpipe components have straight center lines consistent with use in a DB-1 or DB-6 (the collector design will accommodate 90° bends at unknown acoustic performance cost). that being the case, competitors should not expect conformal solutions initially

Art
    artesmith@earthlink.net
    Last edited by Art Smith; 03.07.17 at 2:31 AM.

Thread Information