Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
    Contributing Member
    Liked: 53

Default Roger Barr

Roger was always #61 and I think his helmet was always silver or white. I don't think he wore a bandana always a bubble face sheild. Someone named Gene _____ had the car. But, I could be wrong.

Contributing Member

Default Roger Barr

Roger was always #61 and I think his helmet was always silver or white. I don't think he wore a bandana always a bubble face sheild. Someone named Gene _____ had the car. But, I could be wrong.

Contributing Member

Default Roger Barr

Sorry I clicked it twice, but in the meantime Gene Stanton.

Liked: 87

Default US FF 50th

I would like to help with the US FF 50th...I attended the 40th and will say it was a GREAT experience and I liked how Mike Rand and others did it. The big party with all the famous who's who of Formula Ford was a once in a lifetime experience (may all those who were there and are no longer with us R.I.P.).
    I am organizing the 2017 Crossle 60 Years of Winning at the SVRA Indy ALL formula car weekend in June 2017. Everyone can meet me then and I invite you to check out what you think of this event within the event...
    I am more interested in the "social" aspect in the gathering of the specific marques and the feature party with all those who have made FF what it is! I am not familiar with the inner workings of the SCCA and although I understand the classes within the FF event, I would be most successful with the social and historical aspect . I have 5 Formula Fords made up of Crossle, Merlyn, and Caldwell...

Best regards,

Mike Winebrenner

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License swiftdrivr's Avatar
    Liked: 673

Glad to see someone willing to pick up the baton. Hopefully some others with the requisite experience and contacts will step up too.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Liked: 162

Default 2019

Thinking instead of sleeping. It seems like finding a centrally located facility has a lot of merit. I found this neat map of roadcourses in the US: http://speedwaysonline.com/tracks/ca.../road-courses/

The geographical center of the 48 states is roughly Lebanon, Kansas. Here are some of the closest tracks:

Motorsports Park Hastings: 62 miles north of Lebanon in Hastings, NE, 2.15 mi, very flat, reasonably good infrastructure, nearby amenities.

Heartland Park Topeka: 205 east of Lebanon in Topeka, KS, 2.50 mi, very flat, very good infrastructure, nearby amenities.

Raceway Park of the Midlands: 224 miles NE of Lebanon, 2.23 mi, very flat, minimal amenities, nearby hotels. (formerly Mid America Motorplex, appears to be operating)

High Plains Raceway: 296 mi west of Lebanon in Deer Trail CO, 2.55 mi, good elevation changes, minimal infrastructure (no garages, but carports, RV hookups), minimal amenities nearby, more in Aurora 50 miles west.

Hallett Motor Speedway: 336 miles south in Hallett, OK, 1.7 mi (guess), slight elevation change, minimal infrastructure (I haven't been there in ~15 years), some amenities nearby.

Personally, I'd say HPR is the most challenging, followed by MPH, Hallett and HPT. Never have been to RPM.

8. The following members LIKED this post:

The fact that the 40th had mid 200 cars total and 120 cars on track at same time in Club Ford, the facility has to be big enough to accomodate the amount of cars from a track perspective and a paddock perspective. There must also be a local Region/Sanctioning body willing/able to run the event from a competition/insurance standpoint.

I like the idea of it be "central" for towing fairness.

Lets get some input about tracks that everyone feels would be safe with 120 cars in a race and a strong region to host it. (I am not leaning one way or another...but note Road America is over 4 miles long and has Chicago/Milwaukee SCCA leadership to draw from)
    It is also worth noting that the SVRA is also big enough to handle this scale of an event too...

Thoughts?

Mike Winebrenner

Not an expert on the subject, but others with more knowledge suggest that road America and Road Atlanta are the best options. Road America has proven it can, so that isn't an issue. Road Atlanta used to host the runoffs, the scene of many great FF championship battles, and so has super FF history. It has elevation changes, fabulous turns and great infrastructure and [i Assume; haven't been there in 20 years] plenty of nearby amenities. We used to camp at lake Lanier when attending the runoffs back in the 80s. It has better fall weather than Road America, so if it is to be a fall event, that may matter. I'd add VIR, since everyone should get a chance to run that track. Everything from Left Hook to Oaktree is racing paradise. I don't know if the paddock is big enough, but I bet it is.
    These are obviously not "central" but then, FF ownership isn't evenly distributed either. Another issue is that people want to go to great tracks, and flat tracks without standout turns will draw fewer entries. Nothing in the plains is on my bucket list, and I suspect [don't really know the tracks, so the bias is acknowledged] they aren't on many other people's bucket list either.
    Just my rambling thoughts.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

Looks like the GCR rule is now 25 cars per mile.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

I agree Jim... I like tracks that have the whole package to check off my list... Road America coming down into T5 in between the FIA catch fences (check), Road Atlanta coming under bridge and down hill (check) gravity cavity from years ago (check), Watkins Glen T2-3 elevations and those blue guardrails (check), Laguna Seca with corkscrew (seen it, but still need to check off list)
    I do not like all these new tracks that are designed by some "famous" guy I have never heard of and they are filled with decreasing radius corners and things designed to punish you...all it does is kill tires at the expense of a lap time. (sorry, starting to rant)
    Truth be told , I'll drive pretty much anywhere or ship car for this type of event...I told myself I would keep going to the FF reunions as long as I am alive.

Mike Winebrenner
    Last edited by mdwracer; 01.28.17 at 11:47 PM.

14. The following 2 users liked this post:

Mike,
    I agree. If the crew [wife and aging dogs] are healthy enough, and I can make the drive, I'll be at wherever it happens.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1

Default Reboot?

As no one seems to be coming forward to take the reins, I am wondering if it can be done really "grass-roots" style. The CAT national race at Road America is going to happen anyway. Perhaps there is some way we can all just show up, and with a significant number of early entries, convince the region to help us with tech, run groups and special races, as would be the case if it were planned like last time. I am guessing that, between age-attrition among the "we were there in the heyday" group, and new drivers inspired by the Honda, F1600 Pro, and the resurgence seen after the 40th, we'd still be looking at 100-150 cars at least, so it would have to be "planned" even if informally. Someone would have to contact the Vintage, Canadian and other groups, and someone would have to deal with the "other licensing bodies" and insurance issues, which I know nothing about [but would be willing to help]. The same could be done for Road Atlanta's majors race, VIR's Goblins [love the track but October is late and weather risky] or VIR's SARRC / MARRS [much better time] COTA would attract lots of people,but I am not sure it can handle the volume, on track or pits and paddock.Any thoughts?

Another thought came to mind; I know Honda didn't get a good response at Barber for the 45th, but that was a combination of issues [no test day being a big one]. Perhaps someone with HPD contacts might see if they were interested in helping put this together. It should be perfect for their marketing, with a hard-core, car-oriented audience.
    Last edited by swiftdrivr; 02.15.17 at 6:21 PM.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1

Default Is it dead?

No action on the 50th. Is it a dead horse?
    Jim
    Swift DB-1

Late Braking Member
    Liked: 217

Quote Originally Posted by swiftdrivr View Post
    Is it a dead horse?
    Not a dead horse, just a camel of many humps.

Seems like every open wheel sanctioning body in the U.S. is doing a 50th...

Steve

19. The following members LIKED this post:

Too bad we can't have another all-together celebration like the 40th was. Makes me twice as glad that I made it there.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1

21. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 27

Quote Originally Posted by SteveG View Post
    Not a dead horse, just a camel of many humps.

Seems like every open wheel sanctioning body in the U.S. is doing a 50th...

Steve
    Maybe it depends on which 50th is being celebrated. The first Formula Ford race in England was 1967. The SCCA recognized it as a National class in 1969.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

Its like going to a big vintage racing event with TransAm cars. When you see half dozen blue Donahue Sunoco Camaros racing together, then get a chance to look at one up close in the paddock, it just does not seem quite so special. And that is ignoring the 5 Parnelli Jones Mustangs, and 4 Donahue Javelins.
    The 40th FF Birthday Party was special. So glad I went!
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 3787

Problem is the folks that put on the 40th are 10 years older now.

And, a lot of the rancor in the ranks has dampened their spirits.

Besides, when one gets one at bat in the big leagues, and it happens to be in the 9th inning of the world series and you hit the game winning gland slam ... it's hard to want to take a chance going up to bat again. Better to rest on ones laurels.

25. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post

Besides, when one gets one at bat in the big leagues, and it happens to be in the 9th inning of the world series and you hit the game winning gland slam ... it's hard to want to take a chance going up to bat again. Better to rest on ones laurels.

Totally understandable. It turns out that it was a once-in a-lifetime event that brought me back to the class. I literally promised myself that I would have a car to bring to the 50th. Eight years later and it is tough to get excited about 20 different "50th Birthday Parties" spread over 2 years. I think that will just make the 40th more special to those that were there.

I would probably just end up working at a different racetrack anyway.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

27. The following members LIKED this post:

Greg,
    For me there are so many memories.
    Holy $hit. The Treadway - Niki race was by itself one of the best in FF history,
    We worked our a$$es off.
    Thursday night, working side-by-side with Joe Stimola to "tech" a long line of cars.
    Sleep was not an option.

But... I know what it takes to pull the event off.
    Not sure the climate exists.

The "deal" that was struck with Milwaukee Region is just one example of good folks working hard to make it possible. Mike and the folks at Milwaukee busted butt to make it happen. The FF40th committee kept saying "we need this to happen". Milwaukee said, "OK! we will get that done!".

Allowing Canadian cars in with their paperwork, instead of some draconian SCCA insistence on "rules".

Don't forget one important fact many don't know. FRP payed to supply a lot of their staff travel expenses to work that event, because folks like Bob Wright believed it was the right thing to do.

It certainly was an "alignment of the stars."

29. The following 3 users liked this post:

Blame it on these two guys.

The "punch list" of things that needed to be done to make it happen.

One says he is an old curmudgeon and just wants to race his car. The other is super pissed about Honda's involvement.
    Party over.

31. The following members LIKED this post:

So glad I made the 40th... probably the most unified FF will ever be.
    Purple Frog..you tech'd my car that night, Milwaukee Region, Mike Rand, and Steve Beeler did a fantastic job!

Mike Winebrenner

I'm not sure we were even worthy to take this picture.

Gibby presented the four most famous engine builders with his own awards for promoting the sport.

Pure magic.

34. The following 3 users liked this post:

How many nation champions do you need to attend to give the event cred?

Notice that DaveW is in full purple attire.
    Last edited by Purple Frog; 03.24.17 at 11:25 PM.

36. The following 4 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License marshall9's Avatar
    Liked: 501

How many nation champions do you need to attend to give the event cred?

Notice that DaveW is in full purple attire.
    I recognize Dave W and Skip Barber. Could you do a L-R identification for us?

Is that Jimmy Vasser back row with the long hair?

Liked: 2

Default 50th Anniversary ... OFFER

If everyone is serious about wanting a US 50th Formula Ford Anniversary in 2019 ... I can reach out to Vintage Racer Group as a sanctioning body and gauge interest. I know of 2 key tracks that have a history with FF.

Summit Point Raceway
    Watkins Glen

If we are looking to do something more central, there is a relationship with VARAC and that would offer up Canadian Motorsports Park as a track of opportunity.

If we can align that there is interest, I can start the ball rolling; including grabbing interest from all the key groups ... FPR, RCFFS, RFFCS, VDCA, VSCDA, VARAC, VRG. Based on the numerous classes currently in place ... I would see a need for a min of 3 run groups, and the associated classes ~3 for each group. THOUGHTS?

Location, overall ASK/Structure, Date, Commitments (overall structure) ... Plenty of time here if there is real interest versus talking.

--- Christopher Shoemaker
    Royale Racing, LLC

39. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

Default Formula Ford 50th Anniversary

Quote Originally Posted by marshall9 View Post
    I recognize Dave W and Skip Barber. Could you do a L-R identification for us?

Is that Jimmy Vasser back row with the long hair?
    If you're talking about the guy 5th from the right side, that's Scott Rarick, from California. I think he won MO before JR3.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

41. The following members LIKED this post:

Jim Harrell, DaveW, Bruce MacInnes,John Scratch, Tony Kester, Alex Purdy, Tommy Byrne, Dennis Firestone, Skip Barber, Bob Lobenburg, David Loring, R.K. Smith, John LaRue, Scott Rarick, Keith Nunes, JR2, Chris Keller, Andy Brumbaugh

43. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member ric baribeault's Avatar
    Liked: 258

Had lunch with Rand the other day. He actually looks younger. Pickled?

Herding cats had worn him down. Once he quit herding, he started recovering.

I'd look younger also if Langbein had just finished a full frame-up on my car.

Chris,
    I don't think a US 50th held in Canada is likely to work, but I'd try to come anyway. Watkins would be a great choice of track, but is about as far from Fla or California as you can get without a boat. Track-wise, the problem is there are no "bucket-list" worthy tracks that are centrally located except maybe COTA, and it can't handle the volume on track or in the paddock [At least I don't think it can]. Of the available choices, I'd say Road Atlanta is the best choice, as it's "more central" to where the racers are than most other tracks, is a track people would really want to race on, has better fall weather, tons of FF history, lots of surrounding infrastructure and diversions [Atlanta, Chateau Elan, Lake Lanier, hotels, food, parts stores] and a region that could actually get it done.
    As for interest, I suspect once the ball gets rolling, it would snowball. Everyone who went to the 40th had a blast, and many who didn't really regret not making that show. There are lots of vintage racers and other groups that would be interested that may not be represented on APEX, along with the Canadians, the resuscitatable garage queens good for one last party, and some FC guys who are FF alumni and would rent rides, so a big draw pool. Also, I think the "rancor in the ranks" is overblown. I was one of the spec-tire detractors [for various reasons], and I love the Spec tire [I'm running the tire Stuart bought used, "wore out" and gave to me], and I regularly race with a mix of Hondas and Kents without any discord I am aware of.
    I suspect if announced by next year, it would do exceptionally well. Most of the events happening this year were announced way too late, in my opinion. Let me know if I can help.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1

47. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 2

Default Road Atlanta ... Thoughts?

If a bunch of us (basically the thread) can agree on Road Atlanta, I can reach out to Doug Meiss and see if there is a possibility to get this on their calendar in 2019. They have a date in early November, the key will be how many groups (not Classes) - I am thinking 3 groups min?

I do not know the structure from the 40th, but if someone can provide context I am happy to start a discussion if we think Road Atlanta is the way to go. Most of my connections are east - coast, as such anything in the middle would need assistance to work out; I am open to helping get this done.

--- Chris

Quote Originally Posted by swiftdrivr View Post
    Chris,
    I don't think a US 50th held in Canada is likely to work, but I'd try to come anyway. Watkins would be a great choice of track, but is about as far from Fla or California as you can get without a boat. Track-wise, the problem is there are no "bucket-list" worthy tracks that are centrally located except maybe COTA, and it can't handle the volume on track or in the paddock [At least I don't think it can]. Of the available choices, I'd say Road Atlanta is the best choice, as it's "more central" to where the racers are than most other tracks, is a track people would really want to race on, has better fall weather, tons of FF history, lots of surrounding infrastructure and diversions [Atlanta, Chateau Elan, Lake Lanier, hotels, food, parts stores] and a region that could actually get it done.
    As for interest, I suspect once the ball gets rolling, it would snowball. Everyone who went to the 40th had a blast, and many who didn't really regret not making that show. There are lots of vintage racers and other groups that would be interested that may not be represented on APEX, along with the Canadians, the resuscitatable garage queens good for one last party, and some FC guys who are FF alumni and would rent rides, so a big draw pool. Also, I think the "rancor in the ranks" is overblown. I was one of the spec-tire detractors [for various reasons], and I love the Spec tire [I'm running the tire Stuart bought used, "wore out" and gave to me], and I regularly race with a mix of Hondas and Kents without any discord I am aware of.
    I suspect if announced by next year, it would do exceptionally well. Most of the events happening this year were announced way too late, in my opinion. Let me know if I can help.

Liked: 83

Default VDCA at RA Nov 11 & 12

As you prob know, Chris, VDCA only has Sat & Sun booked at RA on that weekend, but I jumped on it anyway. Maybe because the Friday is Veterans Day and the track's workers won't work or cost too much? I figure that Friday is a free travel day for many. Definitely lots of paddock space (on both sides), but lodging is at some distance.
    This seems a bit crazy, but I don't know why one day off of work is any different than any other.... what if it was Sat-Sun-Mon?

Dave

Liked: 246

Obviously the 50th anniversary of "American" FF is a huge deal and hopefully something can be pulled together in 2019 that is even 1/2 as fantastic as the 40th was. That said this year is the 50th anniversary of the birth of FF and we all still have the opportunity for a huge celebration with SVRA and Indy in June. There will be entrants from US, Canada, Europe, and even down under to make it an international FF celebration. I've heard and seen the whining about why this isn't a great event, but can say from personal experience with SVRA and running at Indy it will be a bucket list event that you will regret missing a few years down the road. There is a class for just about any incarnation of FF you can come up with from monoposto vintage to current pro series. So we can whine and hope for something better in the future, or we can step up and make this event a true spectacle. Sign up now and see you at Indy. Todd

51. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 490

Default Indy

Ditto Todd!
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread Information