Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Classifieds Super License marshall9's Avatar
    Liked: 501

I would recommend that anyone wondering about bang for the buck differences between sanction bodies, to go and look at the number of sessions and length of them between SVRA and others. I don't know about many others, other than PASA and SCCA, SCCA's appears to be about 1 hour to 1.5 hours on track for a single race weekend. SVRA's is nearly 3 times that. If I tow 2000 or more miles to a track that I have never driven, that is important to me, YMMV.

2. The following 3 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License swiftdrivr's Avatar
    Liked: 673

Marshall; That's exactly what killed the 45th. At the 40th, the weekend was three days, and I didn't have enough time to see all the cool cars, meet people, and learn the track [I went back for the Sprints, lost my clutch, and still cut TEN SECONDS off my lap time, in the {relatively] less crowded conditions] There needs to be at least 3 days. I am not enamored with IMS, as you never run any turn of the big track, and I have heard horror stories about paddocking in the next county, arrogant officials, and $$$ for everything, but as long as they allow my pups, I'll come anyway. VIR or Road Atlanta would be a lot more fun, IMHO. I have never heard anyone get excited about any turn at IMS, like they do about the climbing esses, or the kink at RA, for that matter.
    I have to mention, at the 40th, the RA people were super! Very helpful and friendly, despite the huge crowd of lost racers from two countries [at least] and a dozen sanctioning bodies.
    Last edited by swiftdrivr; 06.29.16 at 10:26 AM.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 218

I know I'm barging in on the FF community... but if there's a place for FC to play, I'd get a real kick out of watching the FFs en masse.

Would humbly suggest a place to play for any ford-engined formula car... and then approach Ford for sponsorship and start doing the legwork to get some coverage for this event.

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 302

Default Vintage

I can tell you now I would be skipping the SVRA event since it will be a treaded tire vintage event with no place for modern FF cars on slicks.

"I know I'm barging in on the FF community... but if there's a place for FC to play, I'd get a real kick out of watching the FFs en masse.

Would humbly suggest a place to play for any ford-engined formula car... and then approach Ford for sponsorship and start doing the legwork to get some coverage for this event. "

Makes more sense to me than Spec racer. However, last time, they ended up turning away FF's after 250 had registered, and some who wanted to come, didn't get to [if my memory is right]. But if there is room for more, FC, having it's origins in FF, would be the logical choice. Many FF grads still run FC, I believe.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Liked: 208

Quote Originally Posted by swiftdrivr View Post
    Marshall; That's exactly what killed the 45th. At the 40th, the weekend was three days, and I didn't have enough time to see all the cool cars, meet people, and learn the track [I went back for the Sprints, lost my clutch, and still cut TEN SECONDS off my lap time, in the {relatively] less crowded conditions] There needs to be at least 3 days. I am not enamored with IMS, as you never run any turn of the big track, and I have heard horror stories about paddocking in the next county, arrogant officials, and $$$ for everything, but as long as they allow my pups, I'll come anyway. VIR or Road Atlanta would be a lot more fun, IMHO. I have never heard anyone get excited about any turn at IMS, like they do about the climbing esses, or the kink at RA, for that matter.
    I have to mention, at the 40th, the RA people were super! Very helpful and friendly, despite the huge crowd of lost racers from two countries [at least] and a dozen sanctioning bodies.
    We found the officials to be very nice to participants. Several actually thanked me for bringing out my car to IMS. Our experience there is very good.

Paddocking? Yeah, bring a scooter.
    Ralph Z
    1968 Alexis Mk14 Formula Ford

Quote Originally Posted by EACIII View Post
    I can tell you now I would be skipping the SVRA event since it will be a treaded tire vintage event with no place for modern FF cars on slicks.
    I wonder if SVRA would consider letting slicks for the modern cars just for this event. Vintage cars, run in a different class, would use treaded. Just a thought..
    Ralph Z

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1898

Just remember that if the 50th as anything like the 40th, you'll need 3 separate race groups. I doubt SVRA is going to give you that kind of time.

Just let Rand handle it!
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

11. The following 2 users liked this post:

SVRA has already announced 3 groups.
    Ralph Z

Liked: 43

There will be room for all FF derivatives like the modern FF's and F1600's, and of coarse they will run on slicks, the FC's are welcome as well. Remember this is a Formula Festival, the more the merrier. As long as we have enough cars to make a particular group, all is well, that is why I am asking for volunteers to get specific groups together.

The FF World Championship will consist of Formula Ford, Club Ford and Post Club Ford all on treaded tires, the Grand Champion will be crowned from one of these groups.
    Rick Parent
    SVRA Technical Director
    rick@svra.com
    http://www.svra.com/

14. The following 4 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 218

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Parent View Post
    There will be room for all FF derivatives like the modern FF's and F1600's, and of coarse they will run on slicks, the FC's are welcome as well. Remember this is a Formula Festival, the more the merrier. As long as we have enough cars to make a particular group, all is well, that is why I am asking for volunteers to get specific groups together.

The FF World Championship will consist of Formula Ford, Club Ford and Post Club Ford all on treaded tires, the Grand Champion will be crowned from one of these groups.

Nailed it! I'll save my pennies.

Liked: 201

Frankly while neat, it sounds like a mandatory test and tune for the Runoffs. (in reference to the IMS SVRA event)

(For the event in 3 years) I think someone should just rent a track somewhere and put the event on themselves, get SCCA or whomever to sanction it. If done similarly to the 40th with enough prep work you could make it work financially and not having to combine the event with a regular Major or Regional for SCCA (or SVRA, etc). Just a stand alone event. If need be to fill up track time then you could choose to invite other specific formula car classes for their own run group. You might even be able to do heat races similar to the big races in England.

17. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

I'm looking forward to a 50th BP, but I'm only doing one with any serious commitment ..... which would presumably be the US version, if anything like the 40th one was to be.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 83

Default SVRA at IMS

Rick, I'd love to run that event. I will offer the early comment that a $900 event fee like the one you guys already run at IMS would be cost-prohibitive for many of us. Also, if you can manage to not schedule it the same weekend as the Montreal GP....

David

Liked: 202

Quote Originally Posted by andyllc View Post
    Frankly while neat, it sounds like a mandatory test and tune for the Runoffs. (in reference to the IMS SVRA event)

(For the event in 3 years) I think someone should just rent a track somewhere and put the event on themselves, get SCCA or whomever to sanction it. If done similarly to the 40th with enough prep work you could make it work financially and not having to combine the event with a regular Major or Regional for SCCA (or SVRA, etc). Just a stand alone event. If need be to fill up track time then you could choose to invite other specific formula car classes for their own run group. You might even be able to do heat races similar to the big races in England.
    Just using this as an example, but I find it amazing that many of you seem to think it's a simple matter to "just rent a track somewhere and put the event on". Not even taking into account the pre-event work (coordinating with other groups, renting the track, promotion, and registering people while worrying if enough folks will show up "somewhere" to at least break even), it takes a bunch of people that know what they're doing to conduct the event.

Or I could just say:

There's a reason Rand is refusing to do the 50th.

But carry on...
    Butch Kummer
    2006, 2007, 2010 SARRC GTA Champion

21. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 201

Quote Originally Posted by GT1Vette View Post
    Just using this as an example, but I find it amazing that many of you seem to think it's a simple matter to "just rent a track somewhere and put the event on". Not even taking into account the pre-event work (coordinating with other groups, renting the track, promotion, and registering people while worrying if enough folks will show up "somewhere" to at least break even), it takes a bunch of people that know what they're doing to conduct the event.

Or I could just say:

There's a reason Rand is refusing to do the 50th.

But carry on...
    Butch
    I am not saying it is simple but I do think 3 years to plan an event is doable. I realize it takes a big financial commitment but frankly if it were to replicate what happened at the 40th I think there would be an abundance of people wanting to help make it happen. Even if Rand wants to just participate as a driver and not help before hand, he has certainly earned that right.

And I didn't mean to single you out Andy, it's just your post was an example of how some people here are thinking. We learned a lot while doing the 45th, but the single biggest thing was:

"You need to start planning/promoting at least three years in advance of the event."

Obviously that would be now for the FF 50th, but apparently it's not even on the radar of anyone currently residing in Topeka.

Before I left I identified the following "opportunities" for Festivals:
    1. 2015 should have been the SR(F) 30th anniversary
    2. 2016 is the 10th anniversary of Spec Miata
    3. 2018 would be the 55th for FV
    4. 2019 - FF 50th

I've seen nothing about ANY of these but as I wrote Frog earlier today, the important thing is I'm not bitter about any of it...

Carry on...
    Butch Kummer

Liked: 1112

I dunno, two parties sounds maybe better than one!
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Contributing Member Steve Bamford's Avatar
    Liked: 619

Default Butch to Run the 50th!

How can we convince yourself, Rand & few talented others to do so as obviously many of us have no clue, nor ability, to do what it takes to get this organized?
    Steve Bamford

While ideally we would look at where the people are who race FF, in the SCCA and all the other groups, and pick a track nearest the majority, I think one of the big appeals of the 40th was the track itself. I think it will not do well if the track is considered uninteresting. I'd rather tow to Laguna or Watkins Glen, than IMS, myself. Kind of a bucket list two-fer, if you will. That said, if the SCCA is uninterested, and if Rand and Beeler are not wiilling to drive it [and I am not blaming them at all. We all still owe them a huge debt for the work they did on the 40th], I'm not sure how we get this done. I am willing to work on it, but I have no experience or contacts and no idea even where to start. Should we start a petition to the SCCA? Are there others out there with the skills that we should approach?
    Jim
    Swift DB-1

Quote Originally Posted by swiftdrivr View Post
    While ideally we would look at where the people are who race FF, in the SCCA and all the other groups, and pick a track nearest the majority, I think one of the big appeals of the 40th was the track itself. I think it will not do well if the track is considered uninteresting. I'd rather tow to Laguna or Watkins Glen, than IMS, myself. Kind of a bucket list two-fer, if you will. That said, if the SCCA is uninterested, and if Rand and Beeler are not wiilling to drive it [and I am not blaming them at all. We all still owe them a huge debt for the work they did on the 40th], I'm not sure how we get this done. I am willing to work on it, but I have no experience or contacts and no idea even where to start. Should we start a petition to the SCCA? Are there others out there with the skills that we should approach?
    That's why you leave to it folks that do it professionlly, ie. SVRA. They are already planning the event and have ability to execute. And, they listen to what drivers want in an event. My $.02.
    Ralph Z

28. The following members LIKED this post:

I have no overwhelming issues with the SVRA event, but rumors of a $900 entry fee, paddocks a long way from the track [I have no room for a pit-vehicle], an expensive and rather dull track [from what I can tell], and being excluded from the main feature for running "slicks" is going to keep a lot of people away. I am hoping for something more like the 40th, preferrably at a track like Road Atllanta, VIR or the Glen, with elevation changes, FF history, and exciting, famous turns. [yeah, I still miss the dip, but Atlanta had much more than that, and still does] Just my perhaps uninformed opinion. IMS fans will flame me, I'm sure, but I've never heard anything about how great the track was at IMS. What I have heard is complaints about how shabby the track was maintained, how IMS gouged you for every dime, how far away the paddock was, and how certain parties were never going back there again. Maybe I just heard the discontented, and not the rest. If true, lets hope that has improved, since the runoffs are going there. Hopefully it's not true. Barber had a bad reputation until they changed management, and turned that around.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1

Liked: 1

Daytona?

At least, if you run Daytona, you actually get to run DAYTONA, not "a road course in the general vicinity of" a famous track. I'd still prefer a natural road course, but if it ends up at Daytona, I'd still come. They just had the runoffs there, so it should go smoothly. [please, not in mid-summer!]
    Just a thought: If you have ever run VIR, you are probably pullling for VIR. If you haven't run VIR, this would be a great chance to run a world-class track, [and Mike Rand knows the people there too].
    Jim
    Swift DB-1

Liked: 120

Default Keep it simple

Majority rules. Not as if everyone can simply pop down to Brands Hatch on Saturday morning.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 46

Default Daytona ? ?

Get serious! It would take about 6-7 days to get there from where I and my local FF competitors come from.

Liked: 120

Liked: 942

Default Two thoughts

The Sonoma Historics presented by SVRA was an outstanding event. Tony and his staff treat us like celebrities, better than paying customers! Indy/Speedway is a racer friendly town. Most everyone I have talked with reallyenjoyed the SVRA Vintage event at IMS last weekend.
    Rick Parent and staff was great about making us feel welcome since it was our first time as FF and CF drivers at the Historics.

We were treated to a friday night reception at a nearby winery, then a race car show in downtown Sonoma.

Alternative? An open wheel only restricted regional at RA or other track?

Flame away.

Regards,
    Dan Wise
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 232

Default Formula Festival @Indy 2017

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Z. View Post
    We just returned from the SVRA event at IMS less than two weeks ago and it is the best run event on the planet. IMS management loves to see SVRA there and the attitude supports it. A very well run event. This is huge! Kudos to Tony Parella and his team.
    From a prior post, and in part .......

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74135

"...... - given the age of this writer and car - loaded up for now a second foray into the world of vintage racing - the Brickyard Invitational SVRA event at IMS - a weekend full of First Wonderful Experiences ("FWE")
    Passing under the Tunnel between T 1-2 you are greeted by the Museum and the enormity of the place .....
    1st FWE - watching your son enter the track under the "Gasoline Ally" sign .....
    2nd FWE - Jason and I Drive the Oval in the Truck - controlled speed of 80mph - "Boy is it narrow and the turns sharp !"
    4th FWE - watching your son (race) .... at Indy, ..........

.... BUT just once during the weekend, during a quite time, stand outside on the pit lane or like we did at the end on the day on the yard of bricks on the front straight, look around, listen to the wind whistling thru the stands, feel the aura, "see" the legends and say ........

I am racing at INDY ...... "

JUST PLAN TO GO .......

EJ Generotti Swift17 PCF

37. The following 3 users liked this post:

Liked: 83

Default For Rick at SVRA or ??

Rick has covered participation, tires and the venue. Did I miss a month or date in these two pages?

DK

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Bamford View Post
    How can we convince yourself, Rand & few talented others to do so as obviously many of us have no clue, nor ability, to do what it takes to get this organized?
    To be honest, my first reaction was "You don't have enough money to make me want to take on such a project!", but then I started thinking seriously about how it could be done.

SVRA has already announced their "50th Anniversary of FF" event at Indy in 2017.

2019 would be the "50th Anniversary of FF in the US". Whatever's going to happen to celebrate that occasion needs to be announced this year.

Based on the past two years it certainly appears nothing will be initiated by Topeka, so it will almost certainly have to be a "private" effort done in conjunction with an SCCA region. Lots of things to consider but here are the first ones that come to mind (and speaking only of 2019):

1. One event or multiples?

Obviously anyone could have their own party, but I'd think one event should be titled the "National 50th FF Anniversary Event" that everyone can shoot for. Assuming no change in leadership/attitude I don't expect Topeka to organize it, but would SCCA be willing to at least endorse the event?

2. Before or after the Runoffs?

One rather persistent rumor is the 2019 Runoffs will be in the East, but does that even matter? I suspect many/most of the folks celebrating the FF 50th have no intention of doing the Runoffs, but for those that want to do both do you have a preference on timing?

3. Location?

I understand there were in the neighborhood of 400 cars at the 40th, so that removes a lot of tracks from consideration. Mid-Ohio is falling apart, so to me the two most viable options are Road America and Road Atlanta (BTW - the Runoffs were there for 24 years). Personally I'd be more inclined towards Road America for a number of reasons, but if the answer to #2 is "after the Runoffs" then Wisconsin post-September is pretty much out.

Let me do some more research and get back with you in August, but in the meantime the FF community's answers to these three questions will be helpful...
    Butch Kummer

40. The following members LIKED this post:

1] ONE EVENT: the really cool part of the 40th was seeing cars you hadn't seen in action in decades, cars you never knew existed, and meeting drivers from all over the continent. Splitting it up, even if it were just an East and West, will dilute that massively

2]BEFORE the runoffs. This vote is primarily for weather, as I don't have a clue where the runoffs will be that year, and won't be fast enough to run them anyway. If it turns out to be at the same track, that is cool, because it will make watching the runoffs that much more exciting, as I will know the track to some degree.

3] I'd vote for ROAD ATLANTA [although I'd prefer VIR] over Road America, but would go to either one. Road Atlanta is south, so more likely to get better weather late in the season, has the really fun 1-2-3 to the esses complex, and great tradition historically in FF. I recently posted a video of SKip Barber at Rd Atlanta in 1970. Also, it would be easier, as you have contacts there, which will be very important in making this actually getting beyond the "post of fantasies" stage, and becoming an actual event

Thats my vote, and thanks for considering this project
    Jim
    Swift DB-1

PS: If it's going to be in JULY or AUGUST, vote for Road America. Atlanta is HOT that time of year. Spring or fall, I'd still think our weather chances are better in Atlanta

Disclaimer: Road Atlanta is a 7 hour tow, and I haven't been there in 20 years, so I am not angling for close yo home or home field advantage. But weather, fun track, history, and especially contacts, seem to make it a logical choice.
    Jim
    Swift DB-1

Liked: 106

R-Atl is a ~37 hr tow for me - I'll still be planning to make it.

Purely for me - I'd prefer R-Am, before run-offs, less fussed about 1/multiple events. 1 would be nice, but I understand that it is hard for everyone to get to one place.

Gary
    Gary Tholl
    #24 BlurredVisionRacing

44. The following 2 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License marshall9's Avatar
    Liked: 501

Road Atlanta. My father (RIP) raced there, and I did my Skippy School there 20 years ago. No geographical convienence, I live in AZ. I would probably rent and fly in.

46. The following members LIKED this post:

Gary,
    Glad you would come down. I recall at the 40th, I'd never heard of the Bowman. It was cool to have the guys and cars from Canada in the mix. If it comes off, be sure to stop by my paddock. [the car isn't hard to spot.]
    Marshall. Stop by too. I'm sure I'll have IBC rootbeer, and Kelly will cook something southern [even if it's at Rd America]
    Jim
    Swift DB-1

48. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 302

Default Bowman

Never heard of a Bowman? I have to check the results but I think one won the NE Divisional at Lime Rock a few weeks ago

Ed

50. The following 2 users liked this post:

Never heard of a Bowman until the 40th, where I saw one on track. The weekend ended before I could talk to the owner, which argues against a 2 day event
    Jim
    Swift DB-1

Liked: 490

Default Svra

An interview with Toney Parella and he mentions the Open Wheel Festival he is putting on.

http://www.racer.com/more/historic/i...o-tony-parella
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

53. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Steve Bamford's Avatar
    Liked: 619

Default Location

It's pretty simple Butch, pick your time of year & that will dictate one over the other. Spring or Fall would be Raod Atlanta, summer would be Road America. Pretty easy if you ask me on that.

I think you need to make it a summer or fall event to give everyone time to prep their car by late Spring. Many want to & over the winter they simply put it off and if an early Sprong event comes many miss it as they run out of time.

Runoffs are always a concern but we are talking about a one class event, why not convince SCCA for 2019 to crown their champion at this event you will put on?
    Steve Bamford

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information