Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Liked: 208

Default Formula Ford 50th Anniversary

The 40th Formula Ford Anniversary was already seven years ago. Is it too early to start thinking about the 50th anniversary?

Has anyone heard anything about organizing this event? Surely, there will be a 50th somewhere. The 40th was at Road America and was one of the best events I have attended.

Is anyone stepping up to manage such an event? Mike Rand and Steve Beeler and company did a great job seven years ago.

2019 will be the 50th anniversary. Any takers?
    Last edited by Ralph Z.; 06.29.16 at 4:42 PM.
    Ralph Z
    1968 Alexis Mk14 Formula Ford

Liked: 202

The SCCA National office organized the 45th at Barber in 2014, and while it was a financial disaster it was (reported by the 20 drivers that attended) an artistic success. It would make sense for them to organize the 50th as a Festival event under the Majors umbrella, but while it's not too early to be thinking about that I wonder if there's anyone left in Topeka that thinks that far ahead?

But that's just one person's opinion...
    Last edited by GT1Vette; 06.28.16 at 11:16 AM. Reason: Political correctness...
    Butch Kummer
    2006, 2007, 2010 SARRC GTA Champion

Liked: 1112

RMVR is centrally located...
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 432

^^^^^^ Central to where? Colorado?
    Graham

Classifieds Super License marshall9's Avatar
    Liked: 501

Quote Originally Posted by TimH View Post
    RMVR is centrally located...
    Do they have the infrastructure to handle such a large event?

Quote Originally Posted by GT1Vette View Post
    The SCCA National office organized the 45th at Barber in 2014, and while it was a financial disaster it was (reported by the 20 drivers that attended) an artistic success. It would make sense for them to organize the 50th as a Festival event under the Majors umbrella, but while it's not too early to be thinking about that I wonder if there's anyone left in Topeka that thinks beyond next weekend?

But that's just one person's opinion...
    What about licensing? Some of us don't have SCCA licensing? Would they recognize SVRA, HSR West, VARA, PASA, etc? Maybe do a one race exception based on experience, current licensing and letters of reference? That's what SVRA did for us at COTA, didn't have to license with them. Saved about 400.00 Just license for one race weekend for a nominal fee if needed for insurance purposes. Or do you SCCA guys want us ?

Roland, what do you think?
    Last edited by marshall9; 06.28.16 at 11:14 AM. Reason: clarification

Liked: 490

Default FF

Stand by for breaking news!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

9. The following 2 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Ralph Z. View Post
    The 40th Formula Ford Anniversary was already seven years ago. Is it too early to start thinking about the 50th anniversary?

Has anyone heard anything about organizing this event? Surely, there will be a 50th somewhere. The 40th was at Road America and was one of the best events I have attended.

Is anyone stepping up to manage such an event? Steve Beeler and company did a great job seven years ago.

2019 will be the 50th anniversary. Any takers?

COTA would be a great venue, although part of me would like to see the Glen or somewhere that has some FF history......a long track like the Glen or COTA would be best for the number of cars on track, maybe 75 at one time....

Liked: 202

Quote Originally Posted by marshall9 View Post
    What about licensing? Some of us don't have SCCA licensing? Would they recognize SVRA, HSR West, VARA, PASA, etc? Maybe do a one race exception based on experience, current licensing and letters of reference? That's what SVRA did for us at COTA, didn't have to license with them. Saved about 400.00 Just license for one race weekend for a nominal fee if needed for insurance purposes. Or do you SCCA guys want us ?

Roland, what do you think?
    Yes, the licensing issues could easily be resolved as a Festival event under the Majors banner. Things like the FF, FV, SRF, and SM anniversaries could regular "special" events and were being (enthusiastically) planned as such by the previous leadership of SCCA Club Racing. I know there was a lengthy discussion about such things in the turnover documentation I left back in 2014, but I've seen nothing to suggest anyone currently in Topeka is pursuing anything of this sort.
    Butch Kummer
    2006, 2007, 2010 SARRC GTA Champion

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 46

While I did not attend the 40th. It was highly successful perhaps because RA is a great venue and the SCCA butted out. Let's hope!

Contributing Member Steve Bamford's Avatar
    Liked: 619

Default 50th could be any organization.

Doesn't have to be SCCA, anyone who is willing to step up and host it should be considered.

You just need people to commit to it and pay a reasonable price to be part of it. It is a once in a life time event. COTA is not the place, in my opinion, should be on track that has been around for more then 5 or so years.
    Steve Bamford

15. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 1432

What Steve said. This is an event about the history of a great class, and it should be at a track that shares that level of history. My vote, obviously, would be Road America. It proved to work fantastically once, it can do it again. MX-5 Cup was run with the June Sprints so I see no reason the 50th FF could not take that time slot. My picks:

1. Road America - Proved successful. Large enough venue to hold everyone. Great cheese, beer, and brats. Not many places are more fun in an FF than the Carousel-Kink-Canada Corner section.
    2. Road Atlanta - Things come full circle going back to one of the longest standing, and brightest times in FF and SCCA history.
    3. Watkins Glen - If there were any more history here and you'd need to bring an extra trailer.
    4. VIR - Because Paul Newman was right.

I'd be happy to help assist setting this up. That said, I have zero idea how to go about it as I have never done anything like this.

I foresee setting up classes as being a bit of a headache.

17. The following 3 users liked this post:

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 291

the glen has my vote LOL

Default Scca

IMO, SCCA is not the organization to set this up. There are others that would likely be actually enthusiastic to host such an event. SVRA provides great experiences at great venues. Tony Parella might be approached.

There are no doubt others that could host as well.

As far as venue, I like the thinking on an historic track with a strong FF history. The Glen would be a great pick but not a centralized location. Road America was a great track for the 40th and a better, but not ideal, location.
    Ralph Z

20. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member

Unless the location is more centralized, three of the 4 above locations are not acceptable.

Can you imagine....SCCA had only a handful of attendees at the 45Th.
    Last edited by Albatross; 06.28.16 at 3:27 PM. Reason: Clarification

Contributing Member ric baribeault's Avatar
    Liked: 258

I'm in. Start bugging Rand. This post will self erase shortly and I'll deny mentioning his name when he nastygrams me

Quote Originally Posted by ric baribeault View Post
    I'm in. Start bugging Rand. This post will self erase shortly and I'll deny mentioning his name when he nastygrams me
    Who, the guy who had a big part in the 40th? What would he know about putting one of these events together?
    Steve Bamford

Liked: 3787

Every month for the last 6 years I remind Rand that he is in charge. This generates a great torrent of obscenities from Sharon Connecticut. So, I guess he is still in charge.

He and Steve put on a great event. One of the reasons it worked so well is that Milwaukee Region gave us free reign to do a lot of unique stuff, and then worked hard to make the plan work. They were fantastic. We got waivers for all sorts of things (e.g. other racing licenses, other countries, rule exceptions for monoposto cars, etc., etc.)

Mrs Frog took over 10,000 pictures which kept her busy. Interesting now, one of the highlights now for me looking back was working side-by-side with Joe Stimola late into the night to tech a large gaggle of cars.

Maybe the next time we can get a better master-of-ceremonies.

Almost has to be Road America or VIR to have a track long enough to make the FIA car/mile rule.

25. The following members LIKED this post:

[QUOTE=Purple Frog;510878][color=purple]Every month for the last 6 years I remind Rand that he is in charge. This generates a great torrent of obscenities from Sharon Connecticut. So, I guess he is still in charge.

Rand for President!
    Ralph Z

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

I hope it is run in conjunction with a strong SCCA region but sure hoping SCCA head office has no involvement other than issuing sanction numbers ...... and certainly not a Majors event. Road America, Watkins Glen, and Road Atlanta all can work.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Contributing Member

Really, the track has to be more centrally located. WG is only centrally located in the Finger Lakes as beautiful as the area is. Road Atlanta is only centrally located in the southeast. Somebody please comment on Mid Ohio...

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 291

Hallett?

Heartrland??

Liked: 28

Wasn't one of the first FF events in the US at Willow Springs?

Default Mid Ohio

I would support Mid Ohio but I'm really biased. Only 90 minutes from home.
    Ralph Z

Liked: 8

Default Willow Springs...

Quote Originally Posted by Bongo View Post
    Wasn't one of the first FF events in the US at Willow Springs?
    Came across this.... "Records of the very earliest regional races are sketchy, but we can say with confidence that the first SCCA "national" Formula Ford race was held on March 23, 1969 at Willow Springs, California".

It would be quite the pull for all the right coasters... But it would certainly have some FF significance.... Not to mention it's only 1.5hrs from home!!!

Liked: 3787

Tracks like M-O, great that they are, are not long enough to hold enough cars per run group.
    If it turns out as successful as the 40th, it is a huge event. Large fields in some of the classes.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    Tracks like M-O, great that they are, are not long enough to hold enough cars per run group.
    If it turns out as successful as the 40th, it is a huge event. Large fields in some of the classes.
    I personally don't see why any race group would need to start more than the 40-45 cars.
    I would rather start 5th in the B main than 50th in the A main. Less chance of carnage and FRC cautions. Mid-Ohio would be ideal.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
    I personally don't see why any race group would need to start more than the 40-45 cars.
    I would rather start 5th in the B main than 50th in the A main. Less chance of carnage and FRC cautions. Mid-Ohio would be ideal.
    If the turn out was large could he first race not be a heat race to qualify for the A final and those who don't end up running the B final?

I would imagine a vintage group or two as well.
    Steve Bamford

Liked: 28

Quote Originally Posted by DB2Crossle View Post
    Came across this.... "Records of the very earliest regional races are sketchy, but we can say with confidence that the first SCCA "national" Formula Ford race was held on March 23, 1969 at Willow Springs, California".

It would be quite the pull for all the right coasters... But it would certainly have some FF significance.... Not to mention it's only 1.5hrs from home!!!
    It's only 45 minutes for me

Liked: 43

The official press release is coming soon but you heard it here first at Apex Speed.

Next year SVRA will be holding the first annual Formula Festival at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway! This event will be for Formula cars only, from Formula Vee's to Formula 5000, and everything in between.

For the feature we will be celebrating 50 years of Formula Ford with the,

Formula Ford World Championship!

We will be running all 3 FF classes separately for Championship titles, then take the top 15-25 cars from each class and have the World Championship Race.

The racing format will be determined based on car count, We will be advertising this event in the UK, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, etc..

We will be using the SVRA Formula Ford Rulebook, tires are yet to be determined, they will however be treaded tires, no slicks.

http://www.svra.com/wp-content/uploa...d-Rulebook.pdf

If you would like to spearhead a particular formula class and or, if you have any ideas concerning this epic event please contact me.

If you have any FF friends across any pond or border please let them know.

All the best as usual!
    Rick Parent
    SVRA Technical Director
    rick@svra.com
    http://www.svra.com/

38. The following 8 users liked this post:

Classifieds Super License swiftdrivr's Avatar
    Liked: 673

I am already saving for the event.
    The 45th didn't work because of a small track and there was no test day, primarily [at least that cost the event four drivers that I know of] Didn't want to be figuring out the track, in a huge crowd, with little time, on a small track.
    Road Atlanta would be a great choice. As Reid said, the FF history is neck-deep there, and as Frog pointed out, it's big enough. The runoffs were held there for ?10 years or more? There were 90 plus cars in the feature race at the 40th, so a bigtrack is required. I'd prefer VIR, [as Paul Newman was right, as was Reid. The climbing esses and Southbend are the best stretch of track road-racing has to offer!] and I'd love an excuse to go to the Glen,[but the "$2.500 if you hit our Armco,and you can't spin and not hit our Armco", rule would stop many from coming, including me] Mid Ohio bans my non-kenneling pets, so I would be a no-show there, but that may not be anyone else's problem. The 50th is the only event I could ever get my wife back to Road America for [and I'd love an excuse to race there again, but not the divorce that might follow if we don't have power and hot showers. But I'd risk it.]
    I'd love to see Rand and Co. at the helm, as they did a super job last time, and now have even more experience this time.
    I'd be happy to do what I can to help make this happen. Anyway it shakes out, I plan to be there if at all possible. There is a column in the savings account just for this event!
    Jim
    Swift DB-1
    Talent usually ends up in front, but fun goes from the front of the grid all the way to the back.

Contributing Member

Default Mid Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by Albatross View Post
    Really, the track has to be more centrally located. WG is only centrally located in the Finger Lakes as beautiful as the area is. Road Atlanta is only centrally located in the southeast. Somebody please comment on Mid Ohio...
    Thank you, glad the you all agree with me. Then it's settled. Mid Ohio it is.

p.s. Never been there.

Liked: 47

Here's my suggestion;
    Grattan Raceway, Belding MI
    3 Day weekend + Test Day
    Festival style with heat races and mains for class entries of 50+
    Race Groups:
    Current FF
    Club Ford
    Vintage
    Pro F1600
    FF1600 Toyo Canadian Series (for those running Toyos)
    Great Lakes Challenge FC series (FC and Cfc)
    Pro F2000
    FA,FB,FE,FS,P1,P2
    Vintage S2000
    SRF
    (Other possibilities: SM, Skip Barber Championship Series, FV and/or vintage FV)

Being in Michigan, maybe someone like Ford would like to be involved as a title sponsor.

Just a thought,
    Ian
    Ian Lenhart
    Level 11 Creative
    www.level11creative.com
    lenhart06@yahoo.com

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Parent View Post
    The official press release is coming soon but you heard it here first at Apex Speed.

Next year SVRA will be holding the first annual Formula Festival at the Indianapolis Motor Speedway! This event will be for Formula cars only, from Formula Vee's to Formula 5000, and everything in between.

For the feature we will be celebrating 50 years of Formula Ford with the,

Formula Ford World Championship!

We will be running all 3 FF classes separately for Championship titles, then take the top 15-25 cars from each class and have the World Championship Race.

The racing format will be determined based on car count, We will be advertising this event in the UK, Australia, New Zealand, Canada, etc..

We will be using the SVRA Formula Ford Rulebook, tires are yet to be determined, they will however be treaded tires, no slicks.

http://www.svra.com/wp-content/uploa...d-Rulebook.pdf

If you would like to spearhead a particular formula class and or, if you have any ideas concerning this epic event please contact me.

If you have any FF friends across any pond or border please let them know.

All the best as usual!
    Did the last two posts miss this? This is huge! SVRA is the perfect group to host this event...at IMS no less.
    Ralph Z

43. The following 3 users liked this post:

Did the last two posts miss this? This is huge! SVRA is the perfect group to host this event...at IMS no less.
    I agree. It will be done right. The IMS has a little history.......

Default Svra

We just returned from the SVRA event at IMS less than two weeks ago and it is the best run event on the planet. IMS management loves to see SVRA there and the attitude supports it. A very well run event. This is huge! Kudos to Tony Parella and his team.
    Ralph Z

Liked: 309

Default 50th FF celebrations...

Just to be clear, there are two 50th FF celebrations in planning; 2017 at IMS for the origin of the class (SVRA sanctioned) and 2019 for the introduction of the class to the US (site and sanctioning TBD). Great time to be a FF owner!
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

I have seen no announcement of a FF anniversary event outside of the SVRA event.
    Ralph Z

Liked: 309

Default 2019 FF 50th...

I have seen no announcement of a FF anniversary event outside of the SVRA event.
    Agreed, but I am hoping Mr. Rand and Mr. Beeler come forward shortly.

Kidding aside, I would be willing to lend a hand organizing such an event...
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Why not do a combined event with SVRA adding modern FFs to the field?
    Ralph Z

50. The following members LIKED this post:

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread Information