Liked: 8

Default FF "THE SERIES" rules interpretation

Had a question regarding some bodywork rules... the FF the Series Rules call out,
    [SIZE=2]
    "d. No part of the bodywork or rear spoiler shall exceed the height of a horizontal plane 90cm (35.4 inches) above the ground, with the car as qualified or raced, with driver aboard. The safety roll bar/roll cage and engine air box are not included in this height restriction".

In the case of a Crossle 32F would it be "legal" to raise the height of the air box intake which happens to be part of the bodywork?? I raised my roll hoop to be compliant with the "stick test" but now my pumpkin head blocks the small scoop of the original air box inlet.

Thanks in advance!!

Dino
    [/SIZE]

Liked: 246

That paragraph in "the Series" rule book exactly mimic SCCA GCR from 2010 or so. My initial answer would be no you could not exceed the specified height for the engine cover with integral air duct. I believe the exception for air scoop was meant to apply to the old Titan and Lola type " separate " air scoops. That said I would contact Roland Johnson as we was a key developer of the series rule book and an ex SCCA scrutineer from the Crossle days. Todd

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

So you could cut a hole in the Crossle and insert a Lola/titan type scoop?

I'm thinking this also has something to do with the covered roll bar thing that you see on Swift FF's. Can't remember what the issue is but my FC has a cutout around the roll bar that has something to do with rollbar/bodywork coverage on the FCs that is different from FF.

Liked: 490

Default bodywork

You cannot fair in the roll bar for aerodynamic effect, however air filters are free. Look at a Swift sometime and you can see how they worked around the rules. The airbox on my Crossle just happens to align with the outer edges of the roll bar and feeds air directly to the carb. If it didn't feed air directly to the carb (air filter) it would not be legal. *Trivia* In my opinion many of the Honda conversions I have seen are not legal under those rules. (I haven't bothered to read the SCCA rules since the Honda debacle.) They have not bothered to make the roll bar fairing into an air filter.
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

Thread Information