Thread: R25B's

Liked: 9

Default R25B's

I am ready for a new set of tires. What are people paying these days for the 25B's?
    Mark
    1990 Van Diemen, the Racing Machine, CM AutoX, 2016 Frontier
    You can try to make a street car into an autocrosser or you can do a lot less work and make a race car into a great autocrosser

Default New Hoosiers

I just bought a set a couple of weeks ago and paid $217/F 7.0x13 and $261/R 9x13 for my FC.

Sure would be nice to find some discounts! I am still waiting for the American Racer Tire Co to put their new formula tires on the market. Should be very soon.

Quote Originally Posted by jdp526 View Post
    I just bought a set a couple of weeks ago and paid $217/F 7.0x13 and $261/R 9x13 for my FC.

Sure would be nice to find some discounts! I am still waiting for the American Racer Tire Co to put their new formula tires on the market. Should be very soon.
    Thanks for the info. That is slightly cheaper than Hoosier West.
    My old supplier up here mentioned some people trying a new R60A radial. Said it would take a lot more neg camber which he thought might help for autocross. The compound is for road racing and not as soft as 25B. A guy had them at an event yesterday(got them cheap on e bay) and he said "they worked a lot better than his old tires". I hate to be on the cutting edge of something. Also about $100 less a set than 25B.
    Anyone else have an opinion?
    Mark
    You can try to make a street car into an autocrosser or you can do a lot less work and make a race car into a great autocrosser

I found the R60A's listed at Hoosier West and they are at the very Right end of the hardness scale(25B at the L end) so, even though they would be $220 cheaper, not going to do it.
    Mark

Liked: 80

Hey Mark,

I really like the R35b's not the greatest grip like the R25b's but still really good grip.

Hello jpd526: why do you think you would want to run the American Racer Tire, is it just for the price? and are they just as good as the R60b's or harder? have you run these tire before that you have some tire data?.

I'm asking from an autocross point of view, when the tires have great grip the cars are very fun to drive and I believe that if the SCCA Solo Division mandated running a very hard tire like the R45b's or harder I would sell my FF.

The thrill of driving these cars at 2 to 2.5 G's is So... must fun!!!! From My point of view and if your road racing your FF, take an extra weekend off from racing and get tires that feel great under your car.

Mark: I called Jeff at Hoosier and he said there are plenty of R25b's for sale so buy the tires you want.

Ben
    Last edited by CM/FFdriver; 06.27.16 at 11:28 PM. Reason: getting to the point

25B's here next week in time for next event. I will post video to show what happens on old tires. I controlled myself(as in drove within the limits of the old tires) and got my best time on the last run(no video of that one).
    Mark

Liked: 309

Default Old Tires...

Quote Originally Posted by mwizard View Post
    DNF and a cone. Needed a spin to complete the trifecta!

How many runs on the tires in the posted video? I have to believe "a lot".
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Mark,

It look like your tire are maybe gone and the surface your racing on, I'll bet that you'll find that fresh tires on the black top surface in San Diego will work the best, where Chris and I will have Crows to drive on.

Ben

PS. really like all the slaloms!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by -pru- View Post
    DNF and a cone. Needed a spin to complete the trifecta!

How many runs on the tires in the posted video? I have to believe "a lot".
    Pru, about 125 runs.
    Mark

Quote Originally Posted by CM/FFdriver View Post
    Mark,

It look like your tire are maybe gone and the surface your racing on, I'll bet that you'll find that fresh tires on the black top surface in San Diego will work the best, where Chris and I will have Crows to drive on.

Ben

PS. really like all the slaloms!!!!
    Yes, the tires worked better here when they had only 68 runs. Good course for slaloms. I will see you guys in July at Marina.
    Mark

Liked: 235

Ben,

When I ran CM my car had data acquisition. The most Gs it ever recorded was around 1.6 to 1.7.
    Jim

I wish I understood everything I know.

Thanks Jim,

I was just trying to make a point, mostly about the lack of grip with Tires that are not going to be competitive and if you go out on non-competitive tires compared to everyone else you are not going to have fun being the slow guy. For the road racing guys that want to save money it's something like a 400 to 600 dollar difference and that could pay for the weekend of racing but after that you could be going slower & slower just like any other tires but at lease you would have a base line on competitive tires for that track.

Last event times when I ran the r35b's

one lap on the R25b's 50.886
    it took me 4 laps on the R35b's to get a 50.660 not fun.

I mean I have the same problem with buying very used tires, for one you don't know the age, if the age is the same for the front and rear and if you slide off the track or hit a bunch of cones or a timing box (Andrew just using you for the damage that was done to your car when you hit the timing box) or a wall at the track, I would be devastated at this point.

Rant over.

Ben

PS I don't work for a tire company of any kind

Thread Information