Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

Default Watkins Glen Majors this weekend

Aside from our usual interest in the FF side of things, where they have a decent field of 12 entered, Right Coasts own teenage sensation son of JD, Max King is branching out and is entered in one of them new fangled SRF3 cars.
    I suspect that young Max will be pretty much on the pace from the beginning though I am not at all sure he has experience at WGI.
    JD certainly can steer him in the right direction so aside from Race Monitoring Group 5 FF etc I will be "watching" to see how young Mr King gets on with the track and the car.
    Go get 'em Max !

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

13 cars. After Q1, Verhagen on pole, followed by Albani, Dole, Scanlon, Colasacco, Jocelyn, Schweitz, Rice, Allen, Foster, Gecelter, James, and Boyer.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

4. The following 2 users liked this post:

Race 1
    Verhagen
    Colasacco
    Albani
    Schweitz
    Scanlon
    Joselyn
    Dole
    Allen
    Rice
    Boyer
    Gecelter
    Foster
    James

Contributing Member Steve Bamford's Avatar
    Liked: 619

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
    Race 1
    Verhagen
    Colasacco
    Albani
    Schweitz
    Scanlon
    Joselyn
    Dole
    Allen
    Rice
    Boyer
    Gecelter
    Foster
    James
    Foster was listed higher according to Race Monitor, was there a penalty?

Good luck today, race 2 is scheduled for 1:50 as far as I can see.
    Steve Bamford

Verhagen
    Colasacco
    Albani
    Scanlon
    Joselyn
    Schweitz
    Dole
    Allen
    Rice
    Foster
    Gecelter
    James
    Boyer

The quality of cars and competition has improved a ton in the last 4 years. Based on the races I have seen this year, FF racing in the Northeast and Southeast is really tough! Lots of really fast late model cars mixed in with really fast older cars.

Contributing Member Mike Scanlan's Avatar
    Liked: 94

Default Glen Major

Greg, your Reynard was certainly one of the older faster cars, nice job. Neil Verhagen was very impressive, doing his times running alone. The rest of us needed a draft to make our times. Neil also impressed with his racecraft and the decisions he made when we had him under fire on starts and restarts. His F1600 Series experience this season was evident.

On another subject, I mentioned to a number of guys this weekend they should come to some series races even better F1600 racing and the response was always the same...it's too expensive. But, having run on both sides, the cost of dollars per lap is far more favorable in the F1600 Series. Factor in single class racing, far fewer laps lost to pace cars and speedy dry and it seems like a no brainer to me. I've put the expenses/contingencies on both sides on paper and an F1600 series season doesn't cost any more to run. The Majors program is terrific and very well run and for most classes is their only option, but the series offers another option for the FF class and gives us a chance to see and learn just how much more these cars are capable of. Verhagen just gave us a glimpse of it this past weekend, imagine being on track with ten more just as good. I just think it's a shame more guys don't take advantage of it. That's my two cents.

9. The following 4 users liked this post:

Now that everyone is on the same tire it should make it easier for cross over to the F1600 Series and to the Majors program. What was the entry fee for the Majors?

I believe the Majors is around 45 laps compared to around 60 laps for the same weekend at WG in the pro series.
    Steve Bamford

Liked: 157

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Rand View Post
    Aside from our usual interest in the FF side of things, where they have a decent field of 12 entered, Right Coasts own teenage sensation son of JD, Max King is branching out and is entered in one of them new fangled SRF3 cars.
    I suspect that young Max will be pretty much on the pace from the beginning though I am not at all sure he has experience at WGI.
    JD certainly can steer him in the right direction so aside from Race Monitoring Group 5 FF etc I will be "watching" to see how young Mr King gets on with the track and the car.
    Go get 'em Max !
    P2 and on the podium in the Sunday race for Max, so I would say your assessment of his talent was spot on Mike! Congrats Max and J.D.

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Scanlan View Post
    Greg, your Reynard was certainly one of the older faster cars, nice job. Neil Verhagen was very impressive, doing his times running alone. The rest of us needed a draft to make our times. Neil also impressed with his racecraft and the decisions he made when we had him under fire on starts and restarts. His F1600 Series experience this season was evident.

On another subject, I mentioned to a number of guys this weekend they should come to some series races even better F1600 racing and the response was always the same...it's too expensive. But, having run on both sides, the cost of dollars per lap is far more favorable in the F1600 Series. Factor in single class racing, far fewer laps lost to pace cars and speedy dry and it seems like a no brainer to me. I've put the expenses/contingencies on both sides on paper and an F1600 series season doesn't cost any more to run. The Majors program is terrific and very well run and for most classes is their only option, but the series offers another option for the FF class and gives us a chance to see and learn just how much more these cars are capable of. Verhagen just gave us a glimpse of it this past weekend, imagine being on track with ten more just as good. I just think it's a shame more guys don't take advantage of it. That's my two cents.
    The F500 pack was about the same speed as Wes, Charles, and I which definitely impacted our ability to try and stay with the FF pack racing for 2nd to 7th ..... and I am sure we had a negative effect on their race as well. Unfortunately, I am busy for the FRP and ECFF events but the Canadian F1600 events are really good one-class events as another option.

.... and no matter how respectful you tried to be .... the FFs and F500s were just trashing the FV races, especially with early checkers. I just don't know why those guys would not be flocking to the Challenge Cup Series.
    Last edited by problemchild; 06.27.16 at 5:10 PM.

Liked: 442

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Scanlan View Post
    On another subject, I mentioned to a number of guys this weekend they should come to some series races even better F1600 racing and the response was always the same...it's too expensive. But, having run on both sides, the cost of dollars per lap is far more favorable in the F1600 Series. .
    A thing to remember though is if you only have $500 to run it doesn't matter how much better the $/lap ratio is for the pro race it's still more than the $500 they have to spend.

Quote Originally Posted by RSS View Post
    A thing to remember though is if you only have $500 to run it doesn't matter how much better the $/lap ratio is for the pro race it's still more than the $500 they have to spend.
    The people running FF at the Glen were spending a bunch more than $500 to be there. Half the field had pro crew. While that argument may apply for some racing issues, $400 in entry fee difference, would only be a "principle" issue for most of the field in this case.

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post
    The people running FF at the Glen were spending a bunch more than $500 to be there. Half the field had pro crew. While that argument may apply for some racing issues, $400 in entry fee difference, would only be a "principle" issue for most of the field in this case.
    I believe the series offers a discount for first time drivers wanting to try it so that takes the &'s issue out of the equation. Maybe it is just F2000 but I could be wrong.

I can only speak from personal experience that it is value to me & for sure it has made me a much better driver overall.
    Steve Bamford

Contributing Member
    Liked: 862

The 1/2 price first timer offer is for all three FRP series. We have a few people taking advantage of it this weekend at Mid Ohio in both F1600 and F2000.
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

Thread Information