Thread: Sprints results

Liked: 20

Default Sprints results

Congrats to Andy Melvin for winning his first June Sprints in only his 2nd or 3rd start!!!!!!

Nice job for Scott Rubenzer in 2nd and Cliff Johnson in 3rd!!!!!!!!!!!

2. The following 4 users liked this post:

Contributing Member racingflyboy's Avatar
    Liked: 71

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Hazelton View Post
    Congrats to Andy Melvin for winning his first June Sprints in only his 2nd or 3rd start!!!!!!

Wow, nice going Andy! A real nice young man, also.

Congrats to Scott & Cliff also. Old guys rule!
    Steve Barkley
    1969 Palliser-Winkelmann WDF1 FF1600

Liked: 64

Congrats Andy! Great track! Great weekend! Congrats to Cliff and Scott! They are always strong there! Wish I was there! And what's the deal with Larue back in a FF?!?

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 77

This photo takes the idea of not winning the race in turn 1 to an entire new level. I don't know how Bill remained so calm in the car. I would have been out in seconds!

Not sure what happened, but they got together at pit exit at the start of the session.

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 124

Congrats to everyone!

We had an absolute blast returning to FF, even if I was the only FFord, and a dinosaur at-that.

A huge shout out to Scott Rubenzer, Andy Kilcoyne, Wendell Miller and everyone else who tried to lend us a hand with our Mk9 issue on Friday- we wound up throwing caution to the wind and did what we could with what we knew on the box, and it worked flawlessly on Saturday and Sunday.

I managed to hang on to the lead draft on Sunday morning for the first two laps, which I'm sure surprised a lot of people, but the Eagle handled magnificently through the turns- a giant shout out to Nate Cover from Point B Suspension for dialing in our shocks this off-season.

Our new motor started really settling in on Sunday morning, and as the car and I started to understand each other a bit, I started shedding time, and with one to go I had a 2:32.1 going until I hit a gaggle of Vees in a yellow zone.

All-in-all, it was a great shakedown for the Eagle for its return to the Weathertech Vintage Races next month at RA.

A big thanks as well to Kenton Koch, Linear Sport, and my trusty crewman Paul Jay for making the car what it is.

Photo courtesy of Ron Nelson.
    Jacques N. Dresang
    Kettle Moraine Preservation & Restoration
    1977 All American Racers Eagle DGF #005
    1972 Elden Mk10B AM73-49 - #140/1

9. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 977

Joe, That wasn't Bill, it was me. As we were exiting the pit lane for Q1 the green light at the end of the lane suddenly went red. The three cars in front of me all managed to stop, spreading out to avoid contact. I had no place to go and rear ended Jack damaging both cars. I felt like an ass, but there really wasn't much I could do - no place to go. Steward at pit lane told Jack and I the light should not have gone red. Jack later informed me that someone was "testing" the light. che sarĂ , sarĂ 

Nice job by Hans, Andy, Scott, Cliff, Jeff and Bill - all were enjoyable to race with.

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 77

I was wondering what happened, thanks for the info John.

How was the Vestel to drive? It is a cool looking car.

Liked: 977

When you aren't ramming good friends and colleagues in the rear at pit out it is quite good. We are still getting acquainted.

14. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 29

Thanks guys - Sunday was such an incredible day for us and it's fitting because I'm so proud of what my dad and I have been able to accomplish thus far.

I'll post videos tomorrow. Saturday footage is pretty good with a ton of swapping positions. Sunday video probably isn't going to put you on the edge of your seat.

16. The following 4 users liked this post:

Contributing Member racingflyboy's Avatar
    Liked: 71

Quote Originally Posted by AGMelv View Post
    Thanks guys - Sunday was such an incredible day for us and it's fitting because I'm so proud of what my dad and I have been able to accomplish thus far.

I'll post videos tomorrow. Saturday footage is pretty good with a ton of swapping positions. Sunday video probably isn't going to put you on the edge of your seat.
    Andy - Nice Father's Day present for your Dad. I'm sure he was very pleased and proud!

Hope to see you both at the RAKC

Steve
    Steve Barkley
    1969 Palliser-Winkelmann WDF1 FF1600

If anyone's interested, here is my onboard from both days. Saturday's video is worth the watch just to see what's going on in front of me. Skip to 27:35 if you just want to watch me throw the race away.

Saturday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43he6yRc9ZA

Sunday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR6K3GNVg2Y

19. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member rick payne_75's Avatar
    Liked: 112

Hi Andy. I just watched both videos. It took me 4 beer lol. Great job . Look forward to seeing you in September. Rick

21. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 470

Quote Originally Posted by AGMelv View Post
    If anyone's interested, here is my onboard from both days. Saturday's video is worth the watch just to see what's going on in front of me. Skip to 27:35 if you just want to watch me throw the race away.

Saturday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43he6yRc9ZA

Sunday: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uR6K3GNVg2Y
    I obviously didn't read carefully enough, because the spin on Saturday to be completely by surprise.

I'm just curious: did you change to a slightly taller fourth gear for the Sunday race?

Quote Originally Posted by alangbaker View Post
    I'm just curious: did you change to a slightly taller fourth gear for the Sunday race?

Yes sir, we did.

Liked: 61

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Hazelton View Post

Thanks for the kind words, Bruce. I say that as one proud Sprints winning Dad to another (Reid 2014).

To be accurate this was Andy's 8th Major's start. It was his second Sprints start but considering we were taken out on L1 T1 last year -rain- he never turned a racing lap there. We left the track last year in an ambulance headed for Sheboygan....

You and I Bruce, stood together in T5 during Reid's dramatic David vs. Goliath win in '14. I never imagined at that time I too would share the same sense of pride. What an unexpected blessing.

Having raced CENDEV 88-92 and come back 13-15 and raced with the current pointy end of the field--it was a special pleasure for me to see Andy exposed to some of the greatest FF drivers around. Having the chance to run nose to tail with open wheel masters like Scotty Rubenzer, well it doesn't get any better than that. Such gracious, giving competitors.

Thanks to C Johnson, Hans Saurino, Bill K, J LaRue, J Bartz and others for such entertaining and tight racing. Gentlemen all.

The F5 and FV field was extremely professional as we lapped. Great job to you guys/ladies.

And a final shoutout to our mechanic/engineer, Rick Hayes. He gave Andy exactly what he wanted and those two set a good strategy and then took it to the finish. Rick's vast experience was key. That and a lot of radial tire testing starting in January. What a great tire.

Bob Melvin

25. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Mike Scanlan's Avatar
    Liked: 94

Just saw the video, thanks for posting Andy, nice job. Sorry missed all you guys at MO series event.

Thread Information