Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Liked: 50

What a weekend of racing at Mid Ohio! You could not ask for better weekend of formula car racing... f1600, f2000, Formula Atlantic, RCFFS, FVs, and the debut of the US F4 series.

The RCFFS Saturday afternoon race was quite a show. With Andy Melvin leading the way, Phil Kingham and Reilly Harris were able to use Andy's draft to run lap times below the Club Formula F pro course lap record. Phil ultimately running a few laps in the 1:31s in his Zink Z10C. Andy took the overall RCFFS race win in his FF. Phil and Reilly traded the CFF lead throughout the race but it was Phil who followed Andy to the chequered flag for the CFF win with Reilly right behind him.

And now for video of the Saturday afternoon RCFFS race with Andy, Phil, and Reilly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bDytPtmst0c
    Michael Ray
    Crew for CFF #27 Phil Kingham

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 29

Quote Originally Posted by PK View Post
    Hey Andy,
    I'm really looking forward to that video. Any chance you had that rear facing camera on during the Saturday race? We were doing everything we could to try to hang with you! I never thought we could possibly go that fast.
    Phil
    Hey Phil,

I had it on but something must have went wrong and it got no video. I'm sorry! I should have that race 2 video up tomorrow. Regarding the Saturday race -- man was I driving the wheels off that thing to keep you guys in my mirrors. I don't think I've ever been so physically exhausted in my life.

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 49

Hey Andy,
    No problem, but it would have been fun to watch Reilly and me duke it out from a different vantage point. Best of luck in your Runoffs quest.

Liked: 313

As ussual at one of Joe's events, had a great time with great people.

Personally, it was a tough weekend. Shredded second gear on Saturday and then blew out a CV on Sunday.

Liked: 127

It was great meeting everyone and looking forward to Pittsburgh...absolutely fantastic racing through the field, especially the top 3. Wow!
    Will Velkoff
    Van Diemen RF00 / Honda FF

Liked: 99

That was an amazing weekend! I have to start by thanking everyone for welcoming a new guy and helping me out with so many questions and logistics through the weekend. I was not sure what to expect coming into my first club race, but this group is classy, friendly, and supportive! Joe really made an effort to help make sure I was prepared as possible and even found me at 6am on Friday to make sure I was loading in well.

It was unfortunate that we didn't get out for the first practice session (rain), but after some unintentional drifting in my truck during the drive arounds it was probably the best LOL.

I was really proud of my car through this weekend. We decided to update two rose joints on the rear toe links after Angelo identified them and only had to battle a malfunctioning MSD rev limiter kicking in at 6300 on Friday. The only issue that developed during the weekend was a rough engine sound during qualifying. It was the first time I've ran the car without a muffler and didn't really notice from inside the car. Thanks to all that came over and spoke up about what you heard; again Joe helped me learn a new quick and easy way to check valve lash and we found very loose lash on #1 cyl intake and exhaust. Problem solved! The only true casualty of the weekend was the GoPro mount failing and sending my camera into the afterlife.

I am looking forward to getting the ICP LD20s replaced because I was having to flip pads, bleed brakes, between every session and constantly move my bias around to get more front bite. I'm sure some of you behind me saw me lock the rears and snap on corner entry a few times. It also wasn't great for downshifts...

Race 2 I had a great time battling with Kevin in the opening laps and then was just getting into some dicing with Dan until the cautions came out for the hot pull. Managed to finish 5th again but improved from 1:00 behind the leader to 31s.

Race 3 was a great. I didn't know about Andy pulling out until I was on pit lane and positioned for 4th. I had an excellent start but from the outside of row 2 didn't have any room to really get ahead. Unfortunately coming around turn 1 on Lap 2 I managed to miss my mark and induced a pretty large spin to the inside. I really appreciate the traffic behind me that quickly adjusted and did not hit me . I wasn't counting but I think I dropped to about 8th. The rest of the race was a lot of fun working back through the field and managed a 3rd place overall.

I was super impressed with the speed of Phil, Reilly in the CFs. Great job guys!

Can't wait to run with you all again (could be Oct if I don't do the MidO autumn classic regional).

It was great to meet Shane who was very helpful when my crew couldn't be there. I believe he has some photos to share!

Brandon Lavender
    87FF RF85

9. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 78

Thank you Joe and everyone that put effort into this event. I had allot of fun! Mike Rand needs to take those little monsters off the back of that Crossle. I find myself staring at them and then realizing oh there is a turn coming.... Joe I think you should have an award for the most spins. I am certain I would be able to win that one.

11. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 56

Great event. Lots of fun. Big thank you to everyone involved in making this happen.

We probably weren't even out of Lexington yet on the way home Sunday when Candy says, "I really like these people. When can we do another one?"
    Kevin
    Crossle 35F
    Van Diemen RF02

Liked: 50

Default Sunday Morning RCFFS Race Video

Here is the second video. This one is from the Sunday morning race:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmPhDR6PQMo

On the grid before the race, Andy's crew tells us that he is going to use the morning race as a practice session and that he would be pulling in after 5 or 6 laps. Sure enough, coming down the pit straight, he pulls over and lets Phil and Reilly thru. The next time by and he is still on track. He never comes into the pit lane. Not knowing the situation, the track announcer says he must have missed a shift or something. Phil and Reilly have a heck of a battle for the rest of the race. Without Andy leading the draft, the Club Fords can't match their laps times from the Saturday race. The track announcer did a great job calling the race for all the drivers battling each other throughout the field.

A big thanks to Joe for organizing the event, and to the American Pen Company and all the sponsors. Looking forward to Pitt Race in August.
    Michael Ray
    Crew for CFF #27 Phil Kingham

14. The following members LIKED this post:

My onboard video from Race 2: https://youtu.be/5Pq-5BZQYFU

Skip to 9:35 to watch the battle at the front

16. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 61

Default RCFFS images from Pre-Grid

Joe and Mike put so much love and attention into this series. I sat in our paddock and every ten minutes there was Joe traversing the area on his way to visit a RCFFS competitor. Rand? He was always minding his business in his paddock consumed with beating the pants off the field. Kept mumbling..."where's Eakin?" No idea what that meant.

Having run with this group at the same event in 2014 I fully expected Andy would have some fun. He ran the current spec radial and the RC guys ran whatever they brung. It was great.

Phil and Riley were on I would assume 35s and gave Andy the run of his life. At one point on the radio he said, "Geez, following the guys is the best racing I've ever seen!" He was ten feet behind Riley, or Phil for the balance of R2. He went to school with some pretty darn good CF racers. In R1 they drafted behind Andy to run what I was told was one second or so under the CF track record. It doesn't get better than that.

Keep in mind, this is exactly the rule set that Joe and Mike designed on purpose. Let us run what we bring, mix up the tires, talent, chassis, etc. and have a good go. Thank you guys for BUILDING something for us to enjoy.

I took some quick snaps on the R2 Pre-Grid. iPhone quality. On behalf of American Pen Company, Reid Hazelton, our VP (guy actually in charge) and myself (Andy too!) I'd like to thank all the competitors and their crews, wives, everyone involved for representing our young brand so well. The obvious preparation of these extraordinary Club Fords aligns perfectly with our commitment to a fine product, made in America.

Enjoy the images. Thanks again to everyone who was so gracious and welcoming of Andy and me. Good memories. Rand sure did throw that Ford into T1, I'll give him that.

Bob Melvin
    Attached Images Attached Images

18. The following 6 users liked this post:

Liked: 74

Default Pictures!

This past weekend was awesome!

It's always great seeing everyone. Took some pictures from this week, if I forgot anyone let me know. I've been swamped at work but had to get some of these uploaded.

Awesome weekend!! Cant wait till I can get back on the track with everyone. In time!

20. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 49

Wow, Andy, that race 2 video is fun to watch. Reilly and I had a great battle, and it was really cool to watch it from that vantage point.

Bob, for the record, Reilly and I were running R60s per the series 'hard tire' rule. When it is warm like last weekend though, I'm not sure they give up much to 35s.

Bob and Andy, I'm really impressed with your American Pen Company sponsorship. Thanks so much for supporting our little series.

22. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 127

Thank you Bob and Andy for the support, along with the rest of the series partners and individuals contributing to make this happen! I think this year is the springboard for many more years of fun FF racing to come!

I have to say, Dave and Angela did a SUPERB job on the website, looks great!
    Will Velkoff
    Van Diemen RF00 / Honda FF

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1898

I'm seeing a lot of Stonebridge Cryoscience stickers.

Thanks guys for getting them on your cars!
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

25. The following members LIKED this post:

More Pictures!!

Great Racing going on for sure

Post MO Results Posted

Unofficial results for the Mid-Ohio races are available on our series website.

http://www.rcffs.org/results.html

Will post the pretty signed ones one we get them.

Yours for the sport,
    Dave Gernert

P.S. See you all in Pittsburgh

Some last pictures of the group....

Can't wait to see everyone at Pitt Race!

29. The following 2 users liked this post:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information