Liked: 4

Default FVee México Project

Hey there,

8 years ago, i bought a formula vee with the help of my dad, car which i never used more than 5 laps in a single track day because of engine problems. I took it like 5 times to the track and got tired with the previous owner because the deal was to get the car "track ready".

Well, the car was kind of stored in a car deposit so the years made their thing. Now I decided to restore it and start training on it.

Ill try to be updating you.

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

GDL is a cool place

Contributing Member
    Liked: 17

I'm sure you will be able to make your Vee run reliably, just takes determination to get it done and back on the track. Looking forward to your updates. J

Default Update 1

Well,

This is going to be harder than what i thought. Corrosion got all over the car, and im not a fan of having my race car full of rust cause anytime a component can fail and you dont want that.

I was planning to get it track ready again but, im making the idea of making a FULL restore.

So i will send the chasis to powder coat, get new chrome in some parts, buy some paint cans and a lot of new components!

Default Update 2

Hey there,

So i finished tearing every part and screw from the chasis. I will have to buy all new screws and components. The chasis have signs of rust but it still looks solid. I dont have to fix anything on it. Its ready for the paint job!

very cool

have at it

We bought this car because i was racing VW beetles. I became champion of my hometown in 2006 and decided to move a step up in racing.

I had two options, a formula vee for training, or what some calll here a "formula 1800" which is a formula vee chasis with disk brakes and water cooled vw engine with two small radiators. This last hade a national championship where i wanted to compete. My dad didnt liked those f1800, me neither but they where the smartest option to keep running in a championship. At that year i was still living with my dad so he was the one of the de$ition$, he chose de formula vee. Ill leave you an f1800 picture

My dad was a Formula Vee champion in 1994 in a national championship calles "COPA CORONA" sponsored by Corona beer .

Then he raced F2 with chrysler engines, without much luck.

Last edited by enrikerace; 05.31.16 at 10:50 AM.

8. The following members LIKED this post:

cool

Default Update 3

So,

The chasis already came back from the sand blast and powdercoat.

We started checking te engine and one of the cilinders had water inside. It was damaged by corrosion so i will send it so that the can make one similar cause it looks to be at .020 and its cutted to give a little more of compression to the car.

In the meanwile i fixed some issues with the gearbox and painted it;

11. The following members LIKED this post:

fresh paint does make things go faster!

Default Update 4

Alo,

Yesterday i ended painting the engine block with ceramic enamel paint.

And i continued with some components... i will have to buy everything new for
    the rear and front brake sistems.

Today i started fixing the front suspension and axle.

AND.... SENT THE PEDALS AND SOME OTHER COMPONENTS TO CHROME:

Liked: 303

Good luck with your project. Looks like you are working hard.

We look forward to seeing pictures when you get it on the track!

Default Update 5

####:

They just scheduled a track day on July 24. So my deadline to finish the car is a week earlier to have time for testing.

The stuff went back from chrome! everything looks good

We finished painting the front axle, i had to buy all the screws, brake pads, bearings and brake components. Its looking good. I cleaned the steering rack too and assembled it.

Everything is going well untill now...

Default Update 6

Whatup;

So i mounted the gearbox and shift. Installed new seals, and hardware from rear brakes.

We also installed the pedals and brake master cilinders.

Last edited by enrikerace; 07.12.16 at 7:25 PM.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 17

Default Great progress

Wow great progress, your first post was 12 days ago!
    Just curious do a lot of Vees in Mexico have the brake backing plate material removed like yours? Don't think it is legal to do that in SCCA racing. J

Well,

I believe this is the only car that has the brakes this way. Apparently the championship where it was competeing never checked the cars weight. The hole car has a lot of screws cutted just to where they are needed.

It havent been much work for me, i think im still on the easy parts. I dont know if the engine will start or if the gearbox is in good condition. The worst part may be at last with the details. I will make a new dashboard, also i still have to see if the body will fit correctly etc... I hired a mechanic so that we could be just working in the car. Im doing all the painting, buying stuff and telling him how everything should fit.

Im supervisor in a car servicing garage so i can have the car here as well as the tools. At the same time i do my job, and check if everything is going well with the F vee... luck for me.

19. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 58

Quote Originally Posted by enrikerace View Post
    Well,

I believe this is the only car that has the brakes this way. Apparently the championship where it was competeing never checked the cars weight. The hole car has a lot of screws cutted just to where they are needed.

It havent been much work for me, i think im still on the easy parts. I dont know if the engine will start or if the gearbox is in good condition. The worst part may be at last with the details. I will make a new dashboard, also i still have to see if the body will fit correctly etc... I hired a mechanic so that we could be just working in the car. Im doing all the painting, buying stuff and telling him how everything should fit.

Im supervisor in a car servicing garage so i can have the car here as well as the tools. At the same time i do my job, and check if everything is going well with the F vee... luck for me.
    Very nice work! And you are very lucky to be able to work on your car during work, wow!

Default Update 7

@@@@:

The engine is ready to go in the car. Two valve springs had rust on them so I bought new springs. The heads where cleaned and mounted. We finished some details, fixed and painted the intake manifold. I cleaned the Carb too...

Last edited by enrikerace; 07.12.16 at 7:25 PM.

where is OSHA lol ole'

Default Update 8

Well,

Engine mounted in the car... it was quite difficult to fit it in haha, maybe that will change with practice.

Now im going to put in place the rear anti roll suspension.

I moved the formula vee to another place in the shop, someone was painting and i didnt noticed. The car got full of particles of dust and paint i wonder how i can remove it.
    Last edited by enrikerace; 07.12.16 at 7:26 PM.

I went to a dupont store, they sold me something called prepsol that helped me cleaning the whole chasis and parts withous damaging the paint. I had to disassembly the zero roll suspensión in order to paint the parts and spring. Im going to finish installing the rest of the engine components.

Default Update 9

hey there,

I painted some engine components with ceramic enamel paint ans installed them in the engine. We will start cleaning the carburator. I bought new sparks and some engine components. As soon as i finish the engine we will start with the electrical installation.

I finished painting and installing the rear zero roll suspension.

Last edited by enrikerace; 07.12.16 at 7:26 PM.

Default Update 10

So,

In this couple of weeks we finished putting all the engine components.

Everything looks good.

The fuel pump was placed

Then we started to put all the electrical components and harness.

I placed this harness for a quick engine dismount.

Last edited by enrikerace; 07.12.16 at 7:27 PM.

Default Update 11

h,

Finishing fixing the fuel tank, is made of e glass and a special resin. I dont think is safe so after a couple of track days I will change it for a fuel safe.

I installed the restraints, everything looking ok.

Liked: 444

Quote Originally Posted by enrikerace View Post

I dont think is safe
    Trust your instincts!!!

Do yourself a favor and wait till you have a proper/safe fuel cell.

Thread Information