Liked: 7

Default Gen 2 Hayabusa in a Radical Wiring ?

I have put a Gen 2 Hayabusa engine into my Radical Prosport. I have spent a lot of time melding the Hayabusa wiring harness to the Radical harness. Went to start the car last night, no soap. I have a spark to the plugs and 48 psi fuel pressure to the fuel rail. I suspect the injectors are not firing. I was thinking that the Hayabusa has several fail safe switches that keep the engine from running and that rather than killing the ignition they kill the fuel so you don't flood the engine. Some of these are

The roll over switch, which I have silconed into place so it will not move

Kick stand switch which I removed and am energizing the ECU directly

Ignition switch which I have a 100 ohm resister on 12V feeding the green and black wire in the ECU

Engine kill switch - removed

I am about to check all of the fail safe systems but was wondering if anyone who has done this has words of wisdom and if the ignition switch wire should be connected to 12v or ground.

Here is a follow up. I found the problem with the injectors....I had removed the fuel pump relay from the system. There is a yellow/red wire that came from the relay to the ECU. This wire tells the ECU that the fuel pump is on. I put it on the 12v line for the high pressure pump and viola we made noise. Shut off the engine and it wouldn't refire. I had lost the spark, then it came back, and went away. I think I will have to check the cam and crank sensors to see if we have debris/problems.

Liked: 229

Been pulling my hair out on an RFR FB, had no familiarity with motorcycle engines. Learned about tip over switch the hard way. But found I had been using a battery charger of limited ability for a better word. I was seeing 12.5 volts and passing a battery test. I brought in my old charger left it on over night.
    The only way I could get the motor to run was remove the GCU and put in a bypass for spark cut off. I had 12v going into GCU from spark wire and 9 volts coming out which would not fire motor when in that condition.
    After the battery was charged with my old charger for a day the motor fired up and idled with the geartronics attached and shifting the gears.

I often preach about check your battery and this one slipped in on bad charger with enough juice to be good but not enough to be happy. A few day loop.

Quote Originally Posted by Pi_guy View Post
    Been pulling my hair out on an RFR FB, had no familiarity with motorcycle engines. Learned about tip over switch the hard way. But found I had been using a battery charger of limited ability for a better word. I was seeing 12.5 volts and passing a battery test. I brought in my old charger left it on over night.
    The only way I could get the motor to run was remove the GCU and put in a bypass for spark cut off. I had 12v going into GCU from spark wire and 9 volts coming out which would not fire motor when in that condition.
    After the battery was charged with my old charger for a day the motor fired up and idled with the geartronics attached and shifting the gears.

I often preach about check your battery and this one slipped in on bad charger with enough juice to be good but not enough to be happy. A few day loop.
    Very interesting, I am using a lithium ion battery that had gone flat while I was trouble shooting the fuel injection. I think I will put it on the charger today , while I run errands. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by neilca View Post
    Very interesting, I am using a lithium ion battery that had gone flat while I was trouble shooting the fuel injection. I think I will put it on the charger today , while I run errands. Thanks.
    If your battery has the small port on top of unit make sure you are using a battery charger that does monitor all the cells.
    I have a cell tester for those batteries an often on a regular charger you will find the cells are not balanced which leads to unpredictable lifespan.

Quote Originally Posted by Pi_guy View Post
    If your battery has the small port on top of unit make sure you are using a battery charger that does monitor all the cells.
    I have a cell tester for those batteries an often on a regular charger you will find the cells are not balanced which leads to unpredictable lifespan.
    Are you referring to a small recharge port in the top? I have a Battery Tender Battery and there is no port. I am charging in with a conventional charger in a conventional way. This kind of battery is new to me so I do not know any better. Am I messing up?

Liked: 303

What make battery do you have?

If it has a connection port on the battery, it is better to charge with a charger that will monitor and balance all the cells. OTOH, as long as no cell is too far off, a regular charger can be used as long as the current is not higher than the battery's max rating.

oops, see that you said it was a battery tender battery which I originally took for the charger. Just looking at their website I see no provision for cell balancing or requirement for a charger that can do this.

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Neil, just hook up a good old lead acid battery and see if the problem goes away.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

I am charging it today, I will try it when I get back from errands. If it still is no good I will have to get your battery out of your FS to try. Probably after CMP eh?

Are you referring to a small recharge port in the top? I have a Battery Tender Battery and there is no port. I am charging in with a conventional charger in a conventional way. This kind of battery is new to me so I do not know any better. Am I messing up?

The example I think of is the Ballastic battery.
    I have a tester used for RC cars that I built an adapter to test auto batteries as the connections are different for RC.

Will try to post a picture of my tester later, heading to a Motec issue in CT.

I am charging it today, I will try it when I get back from errands. If it still is no good I will have to get your battery out of your FS to try. Probably after CMP eh?
    I found the problem. The charging didn't seem to help, so I started with the basics. I checked all the plugs to verify they are making contact. Well the black connector going to the ECU was not all the way engaged. Plug it in and Vroom!

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

I found the problem. The charging didn't seem to help, so I started with the basics. I checked all the plugs to verify they are making contact. Well the black connector going to the ECU was not all the way engaged. Plug it in and Vroom!
    Ya.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Thread Information