Liked: 41

Default Autocross Brake Pads for the LD19

I've seen a few generic brake pad threads, but I'd like to hear what other LD19 people are using. From what I've seen so far, there's only three autocross-specific options on the market today:

Porterfield R4-1
    http://www.porterfield-brakes.com/pr...productID=3922
    $59.95

Carbotech AX6
    http://www.ctbrakes.com/calipers.asp...l=LD19_Caliper
    $131

Wilwood PolyMatrix E
    http://www.wilwood.com/BrakePads/Bra...emno=15E-8306K
    $91.16

I can't find anyone selling the Hawk HPS or HP+. Hawk Black is the next step, but I'd like something with more friction at a lower temperature.

Any other options out there (that you can actually buy new)? What are you using?

Liked: 323

How about these? The hawk size for ld19s are hb117
    Hb117e is 'blue' compound
    Hb117m is 'black'
    Hb117f appears to be 'hps'

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HAWK-HB117F3...9WjbT3&vxp=mtr
    -John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M
    (‘72 Royale RP16 stolen in 2022)

Liked: 948

Porterfield R4-1 for autocross.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Liked: 99

Recently switched to Hawk Black from HP+ on LD-20s and performance exceeded my expectations on the first event. Single driver and didn't have any issues getting them to bite, temperature wise.

Liked: 74

I'm using KFP Orange from Averill. They don't seem to have a really high coefficient of friction so I have to push the pedal relatively hard, which I like. I don't like brakes that grab hard when I barely touch them..... They're pretty consistent between cold and "hot" stops, with the first stop taking a tiny bit longer to really slow the car, then they're good to go. I've gotten in the habit of dragging the brakes to the starting line on my first run to eliminate that delay in the first stop.

Liked: 99

Barry,
    My pedal effort reduced significantly and I am not sure how I will like it. Similar to you, I am familiar with low friction pads requiring high pedal effort and have enjoyed the range of modulation under threshold braking.

Liked: 310

I have Porterfield R4-1 on the front of the SoloVee. They work great.

Liked: 610

Default Solo brakes

Quote Originally Posted by bassracer View Post
    Barry,
    My pedal effort reduced significantly and I am not sure how I will like it. Similar to you, I am familiar with low friction pads requiring high pedal effort and have enjoyed the range of modulation under threshold braking.
    The pads Barry is using has a relatively high CoF, at operating temps. They do not have metal in them (carbon-kevlar not carbon metallic), so they modulate easier, are easier on brake disc's and do not "bite" like those which do.
    With Solo activities, brake materials as with tires, the issue is trying to get everything to operating temps as soon in the run as possible.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Liked: 80

Now you guys are going to make pull my brake pads out to see what I have.

I want to do this because my car brakes great!!!! no fade, not a hard pedal, I do get the pads some what hot on the way up to the start line. I need to know because I don't want to get use to a different pad compound.

Ben

Liked: 20

Quote Originally Posted by bassracer View Post
    Recently switched to Hawk Black from HP+ on LD-20s and performance exceeded my expectations on the first event. Single driver and didn't have any issues getting them to bite, temperature wise.
    Good to hear, since I have a stack of contingency Hawk Blacks. Currently using the Porterfield R4-1.

Liked: 183

I have been using KFP magnum pads, part number KFP64, material P4211 (blue)

so far I like them. Good initial bite, even when cold and I haven't experienced any fade with them on hot days. I got these pads as spare parts when I bought the car, it's probably the only reason I would have made this choice. But, so far I like them and I will probably get another set when I upgrade my rotors.

http://www.racing-stuff.com/kfp%20magnum.htm

from the website:

P4211 - Blue Color Average coefficient of friction .490. Moderate torque with low wear rate. For use in applications where thermal saturation is low to moderate. For use when under 800 degrees F operating and under 1500 degrees F spiking. Common uses are rear applications for OEM based road race vehicles, vintage road-racing sport racers and open wheel cars plus small calipered formula fords.

Thread Information