Liked: 7

Default Typical Ride Height

I know there are a zillion more components to consider, but typically are most people running similar F/R ride heights (around 45mm) or are they running a rake like 45/65 (which I have seen in other posts here) to dial out some of the understeer?

THANKS

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

I have never heard of running a roadracing car at flat ride height.
    There is definitely rake, I seem to recall 3/4" or so in the FM, but I have also seen setups, very quick setups I might add, that saw the car pretty much on the ground at the front and up a bit in the back, all backed off on preload, loaded up with white plastic rings on the shock shaft - can't put my mind or finger on the term for those, sorry.
    3" Fr and 3 3/4 Rr seem to come to mind, really can't remember.
    Have you called Moses?
    The main page of the Star Mazda site had a baseline setup on there at one time.
    Did you search on here or FM Forum?

Thanks Glenn. I am going to experiment with running some rake to see if I can take out some of the understeer.

Liked: 12

Default setting up the car

Coochas,

I would recommend you get the book "Racecar Vehicle Dynamics" if you are going about playing with setups. helps a TON.

Remember: Make one change, test, make notes, repeat. ;0)

Liked: 1

Default Consider When You Get Understeer

Hi Coochas

I'm far from an expert in this area, but one thing that you should evaluate is when you are getting understeer - corner entry, mid-corner, or corner exit (might as well throw in high speed or low speed corners). Set-up changes will differ based on where the issue is. The only other thing that I would add is to get your hands on a default set-up sheet and compare to where your car is set now. Keep in mind that set-up will vary based on track, driving style, etc. Ask Texas Auto Sports for one or get me your e-mail and I'll send one. It' not secret.

Regards.

Liked: 9

Default Rake; gotta have it.

You are correct; you need rake to dial out the designed in (school car) push.

After running the car for 13 years and paying attention to a lot of really fast guys, I had 1- 3/4" front and 2- 3/4" rear. That is with 6 gallons fuel and driver weight included. (about 1375#) Raise or lower depending on the smoothness or bumps of a particular track. You should bottom out (gently) at least once somewhere on track at Q speeds.

This starting point should be more than good enough until you're really fast (within a second or 2 of the current year track record) and have fine tuned all the other set up aspects including bump steer. These ancient tanks can be driven with a variety of different set ups and driving styles, so I wouldn't fixate on any one thing too much.
    Ted/FM # 13
    Shoe String Racing
    On a Wing & a Prayer

7. The following 2 users liked this post:

Thanks for the input.
    We put in about a cm of rake and did some more sway bar work and the car is getting better.
    Time wise I run low 1:58 at WGI and VIR so about 2 secs off track records.

Liked: 28

Default to be clear...

Are you saying 2 seconds off of the lap record with the open tire rule or the new 470? If you didn't know, all of the hard earned track records prior to this season have been erased for the Spec FM class.

Quote Originally Posted by daericks View Post
    Are you saying 2 seconds off of the lap record with the open tire rule or the new 470? If you didn't know, all of the hard earned track records prior to this season have been erased for the Spec FM class.
    No, my times are on GY 255 or 430 and I was referencing historic track records which I believe are 1:55 at VIR and 1:56 at WGI. I haven't seen any times yet for the 470 at WGI or VIR. I ran the 470 twice and simply hated it and have no plans on running FM while that tire is around.

Liked: 28

Quote Originally Posted by Coochas View Post
    No, my times are on GY 255 or 430 and I was referencing historic track records which I believe are 1:55 at VIR and 1:56 at WGI. I haven't seen any times yet for the 470 at WGI or VIR. I ran the 470 twice and simply hated it and have no plans on running FM while that tire is around.
    I thin Robert Noell has/had the record for FM and he isn't slow. To be within 2 seconds of that time is pretty solid dude!

Your opinion of the 470 is shared by most. We won't run it at all out here and are working on other classes/organizations to run with where our lives won't be in (as much) danger. There are many posts on this subject so I'll stop there. Best of luck to you Coochas!

Quote Originally Posted by daericks View Post
    I thin Robert Noell has/had the record for FM and he isn't slow. To be within 2 seconds of that time is pretty solid dude!

Your opinion of the 470 is shared by most. We won't run it at all out here and are working on other classes/organizations to run with where our lives won't be in (as much) danger. There are many posts on this subject so I'll stop there. Best of luck to you Coochas!
    Rest assured the track records are safe from me! I'm just a trackday hacker having fun with my AWESOME car!

I've been reading about FS and following the logic behind it.

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information