Liked: 58

Default Vintage vs Current

What are the competitive differences between vintage FV's and current FV's (meaning racing in SCCA)?

As a guy breaking into the sport, I see a lot of vintage FV's out there for sale but don't know if they are legal to race in regular SCCA and/or competitive. I am aware of some of the differences, like fan, rear suspensions, etc.

So I guess these are my questions:

Are Vintage spec FV's legal in SCCA?
    Are vintage spec FV's competitive in SCCA?
    What are their drawbacks, if any?
    Should a new racer consider one if the plan is to race in non-vintage events with the hope of eventually being competitive in that car?

Thanks.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 46

The difference between a vintage formula vee and a modern nationally competitive formula vee is the difference between night and day. Others much more familiar will be commenting I'm sure. Many of the driver/owners of the nationally competitive slip-streamer formula vees have been worked on and developing them for years. Not even "Patunia," a well known vintage formula vee can match the speeds of the present day "modern" front running vee, or even run mid-pack with the national cars. And doubtful that a vintage vee could be engineered to eventually run competitively in a national race. Just say'n of course. However, pursuing formula vee racing either vintage or modern is a great way to pursue your racing dreams. And, there is a lot of help out there. So, keep asking questions.

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 24

I'd suggest looking at how many active drivers are in your area (vintage & SCCA)?

My vintage FV club the VSCDA we have large fields of vintage FVs (30+). My SCCA region has (1/3?) of drivers, but a super competitive group.

For me the number of local vintage drivers makes the decision easy, the racing is close and the group is great!

Are Vintage spec FV's legal in SCCA?

Some vintage FVs have been updated to run under current SCCA rules.

Are vintage spec FV's competitive in SCCA?

If the FV is running Vintage Spec/Monospoto rules it's not likely to be running up front of a pack of modern SCCA FV race. The biggest difference is the fanless motor and slicks.

I'm sure there's plenty of Vintage & SCCA driver that can answer all of your questions.
    John Kennelly
    Radiant Racing Tech - Apex Pro Dealer
    Facebook | YouTube

5. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 58

I have found a couple posts relating to this:
    http://apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68841
    http://apexspeed.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68958

But I guess my question/concern would be, if I want to be regionally competitive in the Northeast (eventually!) would a vintage FV suffice and if not, what year forward would be considered modern enough to get there?

I see some older Vee's for sale and their price can sure be attractive, but I don't want to get something that will eventually hold me back from competing if my skills get to that point.

Liked: 47

Generally speaking,(there are exceptions) most vintage race organizations have a cut-off where zero roll suspension Vee's are not allowed and are considered "modern".
    A pre-zero roll car will be very difficult to make Regionally competitive.
    That said, an early zero roll Caracal or Caldwell D-13 can still be somewhat competitive and these cars can be picked up at bargain basement prices.
    Realistically though, if you want to be Regionally competitive a newer chassis such as a Protoform or Mysterian would be a better choice. Even these can often be found fairly reasonably priced if one is patient.

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Banned
    Liked: 1116

Quote Originally Posted by fvee62 View Post
    That said, an early zero roll Caracal or Caldwell D-13 can still be somewhat competitive and these cars can be picked up at bargain basement prices.
    If you take a D13 and put a nationally competitive motor, trans, shock and brake package in it, your only disadvantage will be aero. The question then becomes WHY would you want to throw all that time, money and effort into a D13 and unload still knowing you have a disadvantage other than to say you accomplished X in a D13?

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 290

What is this your exact definition of 'competitive'?

Racing for the win or simply having a good race anywhere down the grid?

Brian

12. The following 2 users liked this post:

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

just get the best car you can afford and drive it as much as you can

then the answers will become evident little grasshopper

14. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information