Liked: 23

Default Another FV Newbie

So after a long wait, my car has arrived in Alabama from BC Canada. Thanks apexspeed and TB for a great car!

I'm looking forward to getting some seat time. I have recently installed some seat cushions and am fitting myself into the cockpit. The first question I have is, what is the visibility of a FV supposed to be?

I ask, because with the 2 inch helmet clearance, my eyes are about level with the steering wheel, and I can see the upper half of the shocks, and the upper half of the wheels. I have a good view of my toes. I'm wondering how much of the track I'll be able to see. It feels like I'm just looking at sky. But, I've not been to the track yet.

The I see pictures on the internet and think, no way these guys have 2 inch clearance on the track. (sorry if this is your car, not trying to call anyone out!) I assume these are autocross guys anyway, so different rules.

But it looks like they can see where they are going.

I'm of the opinion that if someone else can do it, so can I, so I don't have a problem with the low seat position, just want to hear what the veteran drivers have to say about it.

Anyway, I have my TT license and have 3 events on my calendar, with a RR school next Feb at Roebling. I'm looking forward to joining the fun.

Paul

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 58

Default Tsunami

That is a Tsunami built by Jess Heitman in Portland Or about 20yrs ago. I've driven it,you should see just above the bodywork. Jess is still around,Woodstock Motorsports in Portland. It is a Caracal clone,4 were made. Fine craftsmanship.

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Thanks Bob that's good info. That correlates to the log books, which go back to the late 80's. The body is different from the pictures in the first logbook, and I've not found many images with similar bodywork. It's a very nice car indeed.

Liked: 67

The first picture you included is someone running autocross so the rules do not apply for him depending on who he is running with.

The rule
    D. Composite Chassis Safety Structures
    1. The basic purpose of safety structures is to protect the driver.
    This purpose is the primary design consideration.
    2. All cars must have at least 2 roll over structures, but the use
    of titanium is prohibited.
    The first roll over structure must be in front of the steering
    wheel, not more than 25cm forward of the steering wheel rim,
    and at least as high as the top of the steering wheel rim.
    The second roll over structure must not be less than 50cm
    behind the first. It must be high enough for a line extending
    from the top of the front structure to the top of the rear structure
    to pass over the driver’s helmet when he is seated normally
    in the car with his helmet on and the seat belt fastened. This
    GCR - 120
    9. Cars and Equipment
    second structure behind the seat must be symmetrical about
    the lengthwise centerline of the car and comply with the
    following dimensions: The top of the roll bar must be at least
    2 inches (5cm) above the driver’s helmet when the driver is
    seated in a normal driving position. No second roll structure
    on a composite chassis will be considered unless it contains
    a main hoop having a minimum tubing size of 1.375” x .080”
    wall thickness. Supplemental braces must have a minimum
    tubing size of 1.00” x .080” wall thickness.
    The 2 inch requirement should not be ignored but the more important fact here is that a straight edge can go from the top of the roll bar behind your head to the roll bar in front of your steering wheel with you in the car and your helmet on hopefully with a little room to play. I had to extend my roll bar to make this work in my car ( NOT CHEAP! )
    I look at pictures like the ones you pointed out all the time and figure if they actually performed this test with the body work off of these cars a lot of guys would not pass the test.

I sit straight up in my car so I can see the bottoms of my front wheels but must guys can only see about the same as you described or less maybe. About the top half of the wheels showing while seated.

Liked: 18

A general rule of thumb we used when we were fitting renters into our cars, including your new car at one point, was to get as low as possible. If you can see the tops of your tires and shock mounts, you're doing pretty good. Have fun with the car! It was a force to be reckoned with for many years up in Canada!
    Robbie Arthur FV #67

Quote Originally Posted by Robbie.Arthur View Post
    A general rule of thumb we used when we were fitting renters into our cars, including your new car at one point, was to get as low as possible. If you can see the tops of your tires and shock mounts, you're doing pretty good. Have fun with the car! It was a force to be reckoned with for many years up in Canada!
    Thanks Robbie, yes, I had a look at your company page last night and saw many pictures with the car in it. If my view is the norm, then I'm sticking with it. When I first got the car I was just messing around and sitting in it and fount the shoulder restraint end plates stuck into my shoulder blades and hurt when I sat in a position I thought was ok. Ends up I was too upright.

After I got the seat the way I want it, I put on all my equipment and got in, got strapped in making sure the shoulder strap angles were correct and found that I was very snug, very low, and my view was as described. I also saw several pictures of Tim strapped in, on your site, and figured I was doing it right. So I suppose I'm doing it right, just need some time to get used to it.

BTW, here's a picture of the new "seat". I looks way too swanky for a race car, but its what I had lying around the shop, so free seat. It was made with left over vinyl, an old life vest, foam from the headrest of the old minivan and gaffer tape.

9. The following 2 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by 2Dogs View Post
    So after a long wait, my car has arrived in Alabama from BC Canada. Thanks apexspeed and TB for a great car!

I'm looking forward to getting some seat time. I have recently installed some seat cushions and am fitting myself into the cockpit. The first question I have is, what is the visibility of a FV supposed to be?

I ask, because with the 2 inch helmet clearance, my eyes are about level with the steering wheel, and I can see the upper half of the shocks, and the upper half of the wheels. I have a good view of my toes. I'm wondering how much of the track I'll be able to see. It feels like I'm just looking at sky. But, I've not been to the track yet.

The I see pictures on the internet and think, no way these guys have 2 inch clearance on the track. (sorry if this is your car, not trying to call anyone out!) I assume these are autocross guys anyway, so different rules.

But it looks like they can see where they are going.

I'm of the opinion that if someone else can do it, so can I, so I don't have a problem with the low seat position, just want to hear what the veteran drivers have to say about it.

Anyway, I have my TT license and have 3 events on my calendar, with a RR school next Feb at Roebling. I'm looking forward to joining the fun.

Paul
    Very cool car! Welcome. I had a bit of trouble getting below the "straight edge" line with mine also, but a lowered and more rearward seating position did it. I am not tall (5'-8") and I am convinced that anyone taller than me would not be able to conform, in my car at least. It would be nice if the builders added a little extra height to the roll bar. But I suppose many are home built to the builder's needs. I understand wanting to keep the car's profile as low as possible, but I believe safety is more important. I guess ultimately, you are responsible for your own well being...anyway good luck and have fun!

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

that seat looks way too good!

have fun at Roebling

and visit Savannah just one half hour away!!!

Nice car! Took a school at Roebling many years ago and have raced there a few times since. Great track, you'll love it. The view you have sounds about right if you're snug into the car. It's about what I have.
    Where in Alabama are you located? I'm in NW Florida less than an hour from Mobile.

Liked: 47

You're probably over concerned about seeing out. As long as you can see the apex, the cars in front of you (and behind you - mirrors are V/important!), you will be fine.
    I speak from experience as I race a Caldwell D-13, which many have compared to driving a submarine.

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4353

You are supposed to be looking far down the road. The best drivers are looking the farthest. For a bunch of reasons, including safety and aero, you should be as low as you can in the car.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

15. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by fv22 View Post
    Nice car! Took a school at Roebling many years ago and have raced there a few times since. Great track, you'll love it. The view you have sounds about right if you're snug into the car. It's about what I have.
    Where in Alabama are you located? I'm in NW Florida less than an hour from Mobile.
    N Alabama, the TVR region of SCCA.

Thanks for all the comments, I'm feeling better about the view. I'm sure it will be fine, just need some seat time. Can't wait to get it on the track.

Liked: 34

Is that Alan Harrington's old car? If memory serves, Tim Brousse bought it from Alan. It was a Lynx conversion. Or am I mistaken? Either way, I recall Tim hitting me with it in turn 2 at Mission in 2011 or so.

Contributing Member Chris Elwell's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 2Dogs View Post

Paul
    What are the three TT events you're planning on? I'm new to the area (sort of, I'm in Owensboro, KY), so I'd like to find some events that aren't a 12 hr drive back to the northeast.

Chris

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Elwell View Post
    What are the three TT events you're planning on? I'm new to the area (sort of, I'm in Owensboro, KY), so I'd like to find some events that aren't a 12 hr drive back to the northeast.

Chris
    Barber MSP in Leeds Alabama, August 27 and 28
    Talledega Grand Prix Raceway "No Frills" TT, About 20 minutes from the super speedway October 1&2
    Roebling Road "Last Chance" TT November 19 & 20

Then the RR driver's school at Roebling in ...February? Need to check dates there.

My club is hosting the three TT and we'd love to have you. Check our club forum for info teamtac.org

Man, it felt like forever but I finally got a trailer. I kept searching and searching and finally just decided to have one custom built. All of my searching revealed either a trailer that was kinda what I wanted, or the perfect thing 1000 miles away. In the end it was more economical to have one built to my spec exactly.

It fits perfectly in my shop, with the car on top, and I can push it around by hand with the wheel on the trailer jack.

Pulls good too!

Quote Originally Posted by fv9 View Post
    Is that Alan Harrington's old car? If memory serves, Tim Brousse bought it from Alan. It was a Lynx conversion. Or am I mistaken? Either way, I recall Tim hitting me with it in turn 2 at Mission in 2011 or so.
    Yes, I bought the car from Tim. My understanding is that the Tsunami is a Caracal D clone.
    Somewhere along the line the body changed, as the original log book pictures are very different.
    Last edited by 2Dogs; 07.03.16 at 6:54 PM.

Thread Information