Liked: 0

Default Minimal wheel base for F500

Trying to set up an in-ground scale pad setup... looking at the GCR for wheel bases, it only lists a "max" wheel base for F500. Can someone let me know what the minimum wheel base I could expect to run across the scales at an SCCA Club Race for an F500? I also would need a minimal width (i.e. between the tires) to determine the width (separation) minimum of the scales...

Thanks for the help!

Liked: 4

At club racing events, 99% (100% as far as I know), will be pushed right to 80"

At autocross events, probably 5% are 73", the rest are all 80"

Thanks!
    Any idea of width (separation between the inner sidewall of the wheels)?

Everyone will be 55" wide at the outsides of the tires - and the tires are 7" wide (front), 8" wide (rear) for club racing. Autocross guys tend to run 8" all around.

So plan on the tires being roughly 39" apart at the inner sidewalls, and 55" apart at the outer sidewalls

Liked: 3

55" max width.
    Nick Sullivan
    F5 #92
    '97 Red Devil T-27
    facebook.com/SullySpeedShop twitter.com/SullysSpeedShop

Thanks to everyone for the quick help. Scaling cars post race has always been a troublesome affair, trying to find an accurate, repeatable way to measure all cars without rearranging pads. Think we have a solution.

Another idea to consider would be what they do at the solo nationals:

Rather than constantly adjust the scales for width & wheelbase, all the cars drive over a large platform that sits on the 4 scales. This makes any corner weighting inaccurate (it's sensitive to where the car is positioned on the platform) - but the total weights will always be correct, and that's all anyone cars about. Plus, some competitors may appreciate their corner weights not being revealed.

It does occasionally give some problems if a car hits the brakes hard, or pops the clutch pulling off (the platform will shift an inch or so, and bind), and I'm sure it's a pain to transport (it's huge, and no doubt heavy), but in general, it's pretty trouble free.

I don't have any pictures of the platform itself, but I believe it's basically just a deck made out of 2"x4"s with a plywood top, and then a pair of extended ramps for low-angle access pulling on and off.

8. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 307

The scales at VIR have 4 large pads that can accommodate virtually any wheelbase or track width. Drive on with a wheel on each of the pads and the weights get read.

Liked: 307

Scale at Summit Point is a plate that holds the entire car - no matter the wheelbase or track. The Scale readout is visible to the driver in the car.

Thread Information