Liked: 310

Default Mystery at the Autocross, Or. . .

Where Did The Oil Go.

When the Reynard was put into the heated garage after our last event last season, the oil level was as specified by the Reynard setup book. Due to unforeseen circumstances, planned upgrades were not done over the winter, and the car sat untouched. That is until yesterday.

We went to the first St Louis Region event yesterday. After getting the car off the trailer, we tried to start it. The Reynard book says to crank the engine before starting until the oil pressure comes up. Since it was cold yesterday, morning we knew there would be a lot of cranking to get the car started. Sure enough, the cranking got the oil pressure up to what we usually see.

So, we started the engine. We ran it at about 2000 rpms for about one minute. Then, the oil pressure started to fluctuate and then went to zero. John immediately shut it down.

The Reynard book says the oil level should be between 10 and 11 inches below the top of the oil tank neck. It was not. We added about 3/4 of a quart of oil. Still didn't get up to the required level. We, of course, did not run the car in the event. The question is, where did the oil go? There is no puddle of oil in the belly pan. There is no puddle in the garage.

In retrospect, we should have tried to measure the exact height of the oil in the tank. But I wasn't thinking too clearly since I worked Saturday night, and we were trying to get John a co-drive in another car. Our next step is to change the oil so we know how much oil is in the system. However, any comments or advice would be welcome.

Liked: 74

here's my guess:

The oil pump does a couple things:
    - it moves oil from the engine oil pan to the oil sump (where you're measuring)
    - It pumps oil from the oil sump to the engine for lubrication (i.e. makes oil pressure)

If the oil didn't spontaneously disappear, it sounds like the pump is no longer moving the oil from the oil pan to the oil sump. So, the sump is mostly empty so there's nothing to pump into the engine to make pressure, and all the oil is in the engine oil pan.

I don't know if the pump has failed or there is air in the line or if there's a blockage????

Good luck!
    Barry
    Last edited by Barry Ott; 04.04.16 at 10:30 AM.

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 492

It is probably in the oil pan. Cars left sitting for a long time can have the oil drain from the dry sump tank into the oil pan through the oil pump. If the oil scavenge hose from the oil pan to the oil pump is loose or if there is a bad "O" ring it can draw air instead of oil. This can happen and the hose not leak oil.
    Roland Johnson
    San Diego, Ca

5. The following members LIKED this post:

It appears that the top cover of the pump might be slightly loose. I'll be taking it to Dave Whitworth again to check it out. I hope it is not a bad pump. The engine has to be pulled to replace the pump. The nearest prep shop I know of is Keith Averill.

Amherst, New York but i left my heart in San Francisco
    Liked: 292

that would NEVER happen with a Fit LOL

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 433

I had something similar happen and it was the scavenge side of the pump had failed. The oil was in the engine pan.
    Graham

Liked: 6

Not FF but I saw the results of a VW oil pump shaft become separated to the gear for some reason thereby no worka no oil pressure.

Liked: 210

Quote Originally Posted by Lynn View Post
    ...... The nearest prep shop I know of is Keith Averill.
    Wow! You are a ways from Keith (as we are) but, you cannot go wrong dealing with him even if it's just to ask questions such as this.. I'm 99% sure the people above have identified your problem. Oil is being left in the pan. And, it will drain out of the reservoir in to the pan pretty quickly too.

That is why it's a good idea to check the oil level right after coming off the track.

P.S.
    The level setting of 10 to 11 inches? Do you have the long neck extender or the short one? Our 2 had the long neck that that was the correct depth for it.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Liked: 106

Rick, I think Lynn has an '85 Reynard, not the '87+ you're used to.

If the oil pump housing is at all loose, I can imagine it not being able to create enough suction to empty the pan. I would also expect that the tank would leak through a loose housing, but maybe not?

Gary
    Gary Tholl
    #24 BlurredVisionRacing

Thanks, to everyone who has replied. The car does have a very small leak somewhere, but definitely not several quarts. The car is an 85.

Default Good News

The Reynard lives. The sump cover was a little loose, but the oil level was 2 quarts low. We know the engine burn oil, but apparently it burns a lot more than we thought.

Liked: 3787

2 quarts... having a problem believing a good engine burned 2 quarts. Sorry, but I've run 15+ hours without a drop in oil level.

Got to belief the oil went somewhere. If it's burning that much the motor needs to go back into a 71 station wagon. Just saying.

It is possible that I measured the level incorrectly. It had some major oil leaks early last year, but those were fixed with new plumbing and a new valve cover. It still leaks a little, but we haven't found the source. And, the engine does a remarkable impression of a mosquito fogger.

I'm sure I messed up the measurement. I'm just glad we didn't hurt the engine. I think it is time for a rebuild after this season.

Thread Information