Liked: 232

Default Busman's Holiday: SVRA

We knew last year that this year, Jason's Post Grad/EMBA studies and significantly increased work commitments would limit our racing schedule - So on one of his few "off" weekends (and close to home) we - given the age of this writer and car - loaded up for a first foray into the world of vintage racing - the Inaugural SVRA event at Amelia Island -

Converting the the db-1 to run on Toyos/radials was accomplished a week before and arrived at the track Thursday late PM ( missed the drive around the town's street in the race car, ugh ) and the weekend operate like a SCCA regional... friendly folks all happy to help .... when you enter in advance they make trading cards of your car (we last minute entered so no cards) but all weekend children asked "...can I have your autograph on your card ?" - and yes there were, get this, alot of spectators !!! - I must have lifted 10-15 children into the car for their parents pics and then we actually had a little cheering section.

After the first session the ride height was way too low for the bumpy track and stared to raise and re-align the car. Several competitors came by, introduce themselves and said with tongue in cheek that we were taking this way too serious - we told them "... we don't know any other way !" - all enjoying a good laugh.

On Friday and Saturday Jason and I stood in the paddock @ 6:00 pm and realized in amazement we were the only ones there ! It was completely empty and eerie silent. Dinner for two on Saturday was included in the entry at the adjacent golf course included a live band, etc.

There were vintage aircraft flying by (and landing) during the day [This is an old WWII Corsair training field] - Moto Vintage GP and related bikes were there and of course the stars were all the cars - The very first March, an F3 driven by Ronnie Petersen and James Hunt with a two barrel vintage Weber (one barrel blocked off per the rules/just along for the ride) with a 1 liter Cosworth engine and the steering wheel off centre to the left to allow room for the right hand shifter was very cool - Alfas, Talbots, etc. -- the motto - "Some people collect art, we race it" is very well applied.

Enjoyable time absolutely - repeatable - probably (maybe with a vintage driver, we'll see)

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	amelia .jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	118.0 KB 
ID:	60179  

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1475

What ride ht did you end up with? I'm thinking of running it next year

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 432

Very nice write up and congratulations. Looks like it would be fun and sounds like a mini Goodwood style event.
    Graham

Default Ride height .......

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Kirchner View Post
    What ride ht did you end up with? I'm thinking of running it next year

I did not do the final measurement (Jason did) but as I recall (hopefully NOT a senior moment) and noting toyo's fronts are taller (approximate 1.60 inches rht front and 5 turns up on the rear spring perches) - we wanted to reduce the rake BUT next year they are moving the hay bales (yes hay bales ~ very vintage looking) closer to the BIG and I mean BIG bump to reduce entrance speed so that may be too high by then.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1475

Amelia and Coronado are both run on airports and I've always been cognizant of just beating the crap out of the car after what one of my crew told me about running Holtville back in the 80s. I know Ralts and other full ground effect cars run them with even higher spring rates than I have in the FC, but I really don't want to weld cracks and replace rivits...

Default ..

Actually most of the track was relatively smooth, if not crowned, - only two problem areas and both to be corrected next year (they say )

Thread Information