Liked: 1

Default Can anyone help me identify? F440?

Hi there. Just ended up with this car in my possession, I followed me home so I kept it. Don't judge, no money changed hands. ha.
    I have no info from the previous owner other that he thought it was a Walker F440 car. Never heard of a walker.
    I know nearly nothing about F440 cars, I'm a vintage big bore guy. Car has 1 1/2 x3 main frame rails, coilovers in the rear, torsion bar in the front that runs down the frame rail. Rear suspension is this wacky set up. The whole engine/rear suspension cradle is sprung off a front pivot point. Looks like a small car differential turned backwards with a chain gear case at the very rear of the car. Strange looking stuff. That makes me skeptical, every f440 I've seen has the bushing deal for springs. Body is nice, frame is a bit crude looking in construction/workmanship. Car has a Chapparal G50b. There is a serial number in the frame of "LTVB 0030". Technology and tire dates indicate early to mid 70's. So apparently they made a few and/or had high hopes. Any help would be appreciated.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0641 (800x533).jpg 
Views:	337 
Size:	330.1 KB 
ID:	59753   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0645 (800x533).jpg 
Views:	319 
Size:	299.6 KB 
ID:	59754   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0646 (800x533).jpg 
Views:	327 
Size:	305.3 KB 
ID:	59755  

2. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 307

With a differential, springs and torsion bar it is definitely not a F440/500.

My guess is a car from one of the 'Malibu Grand Prix' locations or something similar.

4. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 95

It wouldn't be an F440, When the class was launched, they used a Chaparral liquid cooled engine not air cooled as this one does. As mentioned, this cars had a diff. the F440 cars run a live axel. The rims and tires don't look to be correct for the class as well. It looks similar to the 1981-82 Red Devil F440. It does look like a good candidate to be a Malibu Grand Prix car or similar application. Bet a lot of people that ran the F440 class back in the early 80's wish that had a drive train and suspension like this car.

Liked: 0

Post I,also have the same type of car .have you figured out what

Quote Originally Posted by JeffTaylor View Post
    Hi there. Just ended up with this car in my possession, I followed me home so I kept it. Don't judge, no money changed hands. ha.
    I have no info from the previous owner other that he thought it was a Walker F440 car. Never heard of a walker.
    I know nearly nothing about F440 cars, I'm a vintage big bore guy. Car has 1 1/2 x3 main frame rails, coilovers in the rear, torsion bar in the front that runs down the frame rail. Rear suspension is this wacky set up. The whole engine/rear suspension cradle is sprung off a front pivot point. Looks like a small car differential turned backwards with a chain gear case at the very rear of the car. Strange looking stuff. That makes me skeptical, every f440 I've seen has the bushing deal for springs. Body is nice, frame is a bit crude looking in construction/workmanship. Car has a Chapparal G50b. There is a serial number in the frame of "LTVB 0030". Technology and tire dates indicate early to mid 70's. So apparently they made a few and/or had high hopes. Any help would be appreciated.

Liked: 947

It does look like a "concession car" like Malibu Grand Prix or Mini Indy that was endorsed by Mario Andretti in the late 1960's - early 70's.

It's not a MGP "Virage" or Edmunds Autoresearch, nor a Lola 506 car that I can see.

Google Mini Indy or Mini Formula Car and click on images. Lots to look at.
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Thread Information