Thread: Helmet Advice

Senior Member Diamond Level Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 94

Default Helmet Advice

Need to buy a new helmet soon.

I will be driving both open and closed cockpit cars.

I would like a fresh air system for the closed cockpit car. I see that the air inlets are available in the top of some helmets and in the sides of others.

So my basic questions are:

Is there a helmet that could be used for both open and closed cockpit cars that has a removable fresh air inlet?

Is the air inlet in the top better then in the side?

Should I just purchase two helmets instead of trying to make compromises with one?
    Scott

Liked: 610

Default Helmets

It sounds to me like you would be better served with two helmets, if not only because of the forced air inlet issue.
    I also think you would like a larger eye port in the tin top versus the open wheeler.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

Liked: 15

An Arai GP6 is a good option, but not on the inexpensive side. There is a larger eye port GP6 available. There are plenty of forced air kits that are low profile enough to still allow the helmet to work in an open wheel car. I'm on my third one and I've used them in everything.

I have the new FIA 8860 GP6.

Classifieds Super License racerdad2's Avatar
    Liked: 202

I do recommend a helmet with a spoiler for open wheel. The round tops will try to lift off your noggin.
    "An analog man living in a digital world"

Senior Member SilverCarbir_FC26's Avatar
    Liked: 31

If your doing SCCA racing I am not sure you really need to spend the money on an FIA 8860 certified helmet. The FIA 8858 will be just fine unless you feel like spending 3500 for a helmet. I would look at the GP6 but probably not the FIA 8860 unless your going to do pro sanctioned events.
    Because racecar...

Classifieds Super License teamwisconsin's Avatar
    Liked: 565

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Formula Cars View Post
    Should I just purchase two helmets instead of trying to make compromises with one?
    Quote Originally Posted by kea View Post
    It sounds to me like you would be better served with two helmets, if not only because of the forced air inlet issue.
    I also think you would like a larger eye port in the tin top versus the open wheeler.
    I would second this. I have two helmets for just this reason.
    Ethan Shippert
    http://shippertracingservices.com
    https://www.norwestff.com

"l'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace!"

Contributing Member quartzracer's Avatar
    Liked: 5

HJC has a helmet for exactly what you are describing. Look on their site and they have an optional plate to replace the forced air adapter.

Liked: 9

Default Bell BR.1

The Bell BR.1 would be a possibility. It has a lip on the chin area for open cockpit driving. You can add top or side air adapters for forced air when you need that option.
    ApexPerformance.net
    Premier Racing Outfitters

Senior Member Diamond Level Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 94

Thanks everyone for the responses.
    Scott

Contributing Member
    Liked: 60

Default Bell Helmets

I am fan of Bell for quality, fit and price. I prefer the GP2 over the BR1. A little bit better of a helmet and if you shop around you can actually find it cheaper than a BR1. I have never had a problem with uplift on the helmet, and no problems with visibility. It is also very comfortable and vents well. Over the years I have owned the Bell M4, BR1 and GP2. I purchased mine from a small vendor in Texas. Like any other equipment try it own first before ordering based on size alone. They all fit a bit different.

Thread Information