Liked: 0

Default Crew Available - Houston

Long time lurker here and decided it's time to get involved. I currently build some of the highest horsepower racing engines in the world, mainly LS based though we do some FGT and Viper engines as well. I'm not currently looking to replace my job but would love to get involved in open wheel racing as well. My suspension knowledge is limited, short of a brief time in GT racing on a BMW team all I have is book knowledge which only goes so far. I'd say my proficiencies mainly consist of engine building and engine management systems and would love to add suspension and data acquisition as well as all things mechanics to the list, ideally making a full time shift to road racing eventually. Now that you have my background this is what I'm looking for - anyone near willing to let me crew with them free of charge, and if you aren't near, at the expense of transport. I'll work hard, and I'll have fun doing it, I'm accustomed to the work and routinely work 50-60 hour weeks to get the job done. I grew up racing and for a long time was unsure if it was the industry I wanted to build my life around but recently have recommitted. If you have any need for someone like myself please contact my here or at granttillman@gmail.com. Resume available upon request.

As a side note, I have access to all equipment after hours at the shop I work for. If you happen to run into any fabrication / machine work that you need done it can be arranged.

For the sake of compliance:

Name: Grant Tillman
    Your contact e-mail: Granttillman@gmail.com
    Track Availability: Not specified
    Date Available/Wanted: Not specified
    Compensation (if needed): Travel expenses outside of Texas
    SCCA Member: No, but am willing to make it happen

It seems I haven't gotten any response or feedback so I figured I'd sweeten the deal. Being a proficient engine builder, I will offer to do any machine work / engine refreshing needed at parts cost. I'm also able to tig both steel and aluminum if that is of any interest. I'm really looking to familiarize myself with open wheel cars and would like to make the jump to open wheel racing full time in approximately one year from now. If I'm going about this the wrong way, please give me some insight!

Liked: 1115

Quote Originally Posted by GTillman View Post
    If I'm going about this the wrong way, please give me some insight!
    Nope. You're not.

You may need to show up at a local event and make the same offer, though.
    Caldwell D9B - Sold
    Crossle' 30/32/45 Mongrel - Sold
    RF94 Monoshock - here goes nothin'

Thanks Tim, that's on my agenda as well, though local events seem to be few and far between. That being said, if anyone needs assistance at the Fun in the Sun Majors at MSR late this month or the Lonestar Grand Prix at TWS in May I'll be there!
    Last edited by GTillman; 04.12.16 at 1:59 PM.

Liked: 14

Thanks Tim, that's on my agenda as well, though local events seem to be few and far between. That being said, if anyone needs assistance at the Fun in the Sun Majors at MSR late this month or the Lonestar Grand Prix at TWS in May I'll be there!
    Tim is 100% current. Most of the racing community lives at the track, not the interwebs. The best way to get involved is through meeting people at the track. I would highly suggest what Tim said; walking up and down the garages and paddock offering your services and help.

Best of luck,
    P.S. If you ever find yourself at a Verizon Indycar race, be sure to stop by and introduce yourself. I can show you around a USF2000 and Pro Mazda car mechanically.
    -Head MRTI Indy Lights Mechanic: -Head SCCA USF4 Mechanic
    -Lead Cape Motorsports Mechanic: -Head PWC Audi R8 Mechanic
    -Lead IMSA LMP2 Mechanic

Liked: 229

Quote Originally Posted by Numbskull XIV View Post
    Tim is 100% current. Most of the racing community lives at the track, not the interwebs. The best way to get involved is through meeting people at the track..
    Yes one of the best ways is to meet at the track but the bulk of the first timers are brought by friends.
    But do not discount the internet SOMEBODY is always watching.

As a side note I run a intern program for those that want to get in deep. And can be a conduit for you to assist a team if that is your desire in the Northeast. & soon I should be looking for crew on a FB car<*%$#^&$% Parts>

Quote Originally Posted by Numbskull XIV View Post
    Tim is 100% current. Most of the racing community lives at the track, not the interwebs. The best way to get involved is through meeting people at the track. I would highly suggest what Tim said; walking up and down the garages and paddock offering your services and help.

Best of luck,
    P.S. If you ever find yourself at a Verizon Indycar race, be sure to stop by and introduce yourself. I can show you around a USF2000 and Pro Mazda car mechanically.
    That would be excellent! I'm considering making it out to the race in Fort Worth mid June, if I do I'll be sure to look you up!

Quote Originally Posted by Pi_guy View Post
    Yes one of the best ways is to meet at the track but the bulk of the first timers are brought by friends.
    But do not discount the internet SOMEBODY is always watching.

As a side note I run a intern program for those that want to get in deep. And can be a conduit for you to assist a team if that is your desire in the Northeast. & soon I should be looking for crew on a FB car<*%$#^&$% Parts>
    Thank you for the offer! When you're looking for crew please keep me in mind, and I will surely let you know if I find myself in a position that allows me to intern!

Liked: 229

Thank you for the offer! When you're looking for crew please keep me in mind, and I will surely let you know if I find myself in a position that allows me to intern!
    There is one other way that gets you into events and the beer party.
    Go to a regional SCCA event and volunteer to work, being a scruinteer you will have some shade and meet all the drivers. You will quickly see who needs help.

Thread Information