Thread: Trailer Ideas

Liked: 58

Default Trailer Ideas

I'm just looking for some inexpensive ideas how to trailer my car. I'm probably going to end up with a 6x12 single axle open utility trailer. Mainly due to economics and weight. My SUV has a 2000lb towing capacity (no trailer brakes) They are readily available for around $1200-$1500. I was thinking of maybe making an aluminum cap type cover just to protect the car from the elements and prying eyes. Or maybe some type of fabric cover? But I imagine the wind flapping would beat the hell out of the paint on the road...maybe some of you can post some photos of your open trailers and creative ways to haul all the stuff to the track....

Liked: 74

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Ott View Post
    Ahh, great thanks. Any others?
    Last edited by bobs66440; 02.24.16 at 11:33 PM.

Senior Member Diamond Level Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 94

I used to tow my Vee behind my Pinto with one of these Harbor Freight Trailers. Worked great.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1720-lb...ler-62647.html
    Scott

Liked: 51

[QUOTE=bobs66440;500475]I'm just looking for some inexpensive ideas how to trailer my car.

Hi Bob...here's some previous trailers I owned and sold with the cars.

The first one with my toolbox bolted to the front for my tools. Two daughters on the left...both married with kids.

Second trailer light weight and used the same wheels as the vee.
    Last edited by Johan W; 10.12.16 at 5:39 PM.

7. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 51

[QUOTE=bobs66440;500475]I'm just looking for some inexpensive ideas how to trailer my car.

My last trailer in South Africa ended up with Peter Hills. Here you can see Peter driving up the ramps. Easy way to get two vees at the track. In SA they get travel money and make some money if you take two vees on a trailer.
    Last edited by Johan W; 10.12.16 at 5:39 PM.

9. The following 3 users liked this post:

[QUOTE=Johan W;500597]
    Quote Originally Posted by bobs66440 View Post
    I'm just looking for some inexpensive ideas how to trailer my car.

Hi Bob...here's some previous trailers I owned and sold with the cars.

The first one with my toolbox bolted to the front for my tools. Two daughters on the left...both married with kids.

Second trailer light weight and used the same wheels as the vee.
    I like your trailer, but I don't like the look of that car, ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Formula Cars View Post
    I used to tow my Vee behind my Pinto with one of these Harbor Freight Trailers. Worked great.

http://www.harborfreight.com/1720-lb...ler-62647.html
    Wow, ha ha. I used one of those for my dirt kart back in the 80's. I never dreamed of using it for a vee. I guess it just barely fit?

Contributing Member Earley Motorsports's Avatar
    Liked: 433

"Second trailer light weight and used the same wheels as the vee. "

Johan, looks like you could have used a shorter trailer to carry that Vee. Ouch.
    Graham

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

14. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 7

We make lightweight trailer enclosures for open bed trailers. They're made out of heavy walled aluminum tubing for the frame and the skin is made out of Shelter Rite, which is the same material they use on curtain walled semi-trucks. It is well tensioned so rubbing on the vehicle is not an issues.

Let me know if you would like more information. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by SnoCaps Enclosures View Post
    We make lightweight trailer enclosures for open bed trailers. They're made out of heavy walled aluminum tubing for the frame and the skin is made out of Shelter Rite, which is the same material they use on curtain walled semi-trucks. It is well tensioned so rubbing on the vehicle is not an issues.

Let me know if you would like more information. Thanks!
    Yes please!

Classifieds Super License BeerBudgetRacing's Avatar
    Liked: 1262

Quote Originally Posted by bobs66440 View Post
    Yes please!
    My concern is cost. I can see these things getting pricey quick and then you might as well buy an enclosed trailer.

What a typical cover cost for a 16ft trailer?

18. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 115

Default Trailer

When I started I bought an open tilt trailer that the manufacturer modified slightly so it would fit the Vee perfectly...It was around $1500 in the mid nineties..worked great except You need to load and unload every weekend unless you have room to put the car and trailer inside. A small enclosed trailer is the way to go... this past summer I just purchased a new 6 x 12 enclosed utility for around $2100... for my business. I replace the trailer ever 3 years and the used ones sell quickly...the one I replaced sold in 45 minutes on Craigslist. With an enclosed trailer things are safe and if you need to stop for the night to or from the track you wont be constantly getting up at all hours of the night and checking out the motel window....

20. The following 3 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by grapefarmeral View Post
    A small enclosed trailer is the way to go... this past summer I just purchased a new 6 x 12 enclosed utility for around $2100... for my business. I replace the trailer ever 3 years and the used ones sell quickly...the one I replaced sold in 45 minutes on Craigslist. With an enclosed trailer things are safe and if you need to stop for the night to or from the track you wont be constantly getting up at all hours of the night and checking out the motel window....
    After some research and thought, I believe this is the way I will go. Thanks!

Liked: 7

Quote Originally Posted by BeerBudgetRacing View Post
    My concern is cost. I can see these things getting pricey quick and then you might as well buy an enclosed trailer.

What a typical cover cost for a 16ft trailer?

A very general estimate is $1800-2500 depending on height, doors, and other options. We've made them as short as 24" off the trailer side walls, up to legal height limits off the deck along with a wide array of custom options so the range is pretty wide.

They have several advantages over traditional enclosed trailers, aerodynamics and weight being foremost among them, we are 1/5 the weight of a traditional enclosure and much more aerodynamic. Depending on the exact situation and application can be a better option even though they are not cheap, but cheap wouldn't be able handle road conditions which is imperative for our customers and their expensive cargo. Several companies have tried cheap ways of manufacturing soft sided enclosures and failed, whereas our oldest SnoCaps at 23 + years are still running down the road protecting cargo. Our skins are meant to last 12-15 years before needing replacement and we've yet to have to replace a frame for anything other than catastrophic accidents where the vehicle and trailer are totaled in over 6900 sold.

Thank you for your question!

23. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information