Thread: Race Fuel

Liked: 58

Default Race Fuel

What is everybody running for race fuel in the series? Some say pump gas, some say avgas, race gas...

Classifieds Super License Matt Clark's Avatar
    Liked: 356

Ideally, just run 87 leaded gas without ethanol. Since that's pretty much non-existent, I run AvGas for the lead & stability & lack of ethanol. Ethanol-free pump gas is popular too, but I was told the lead is needed by an important person when I used his engine.

We really do not want hi-octane fuel due to our low compression, but the AvGas is really easy on stuff.
    ~Matt Clark | RTJ-02 FV #92 | My YouTube Onboard Videos (helmet cam)

3. The following members LIKED this post:

The local airports won't sell to me so I will have to go with racing fuel. The local speed shop sells 100 octane Sunoco (among others) so I think this is the way I will have to go...

Liked: 300

Usually a local airport won't sell to you is they think it will be used in a street car and not in your racecar. When I lived in the DC metro area I went to the local airport in PG county and talked to the manager and he was happy to sell it to me and I think did so to local drag racers as well since he didn't get much business being in close to DC because of the flying restrictions there. You might try finding a pilot who would get it for you for a plane that is not stationed at an airport and gets his gas in cans. Ultra light and light sport pilots are who you need to look for.

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Womer View Post
    Usually a local airport won't sell to you is they think it will be used in a street car and not in your racecar. When I lived in the DC metro area I went to the local airport in PG county and talked to the manager and he was happy to sell it to me and I think did so to local drag racers as well since he didn't get much business being in close to DC because of the flying restrictions there. You might try finding a pilot who would get it for you for a plane that is not stationed at an airport and gets his gas in cans. Ultra light and light sport pilots are who you need to look for.

Ed
    Ok, I'll check it out. Thanks

Liked: 67

Don't call the airports... they will most likely say no. I had the run around with 2 different airports before I found the right one.

Look on their websites and try to find one that has self serve pumps and try to go after hours when the important people are not there.
    The airport I use now has self serve pumps on a back runway that's closed down. I can drive right up in my truck fill my tanks and pay with a credit card at the machine. No one has bothered me yet.

FYI You my airport requires you enter a tail number to get gas... just Google search a Cessna and write down the tail number.

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 91

Also, I can help you with the E0 quest:

http://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=NY

Quote Originally Posted by FrankRizzo View Post
    Also, I can help you with the E0 quest:

http://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=NY
    Thank you

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 174

I went to high school with the local airport manager and he allows me to buy it
    from them.

Mark

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information