Liked: 0

Default Transaxle Options

After 2 years running regional events in the Northeast, My son and I are looking to run Majors events this season. There are a couple of tracks we have not been to, and the question I have is about which transaxle to run at them.

We have never been to VIR, PIR or Mid Ohio. What would be the recommended transaxle for these courses (long box/short box)? If long box, would there be a preferable 3rd gear? We are not looking for any secrets... just don't want to over-rev or blow up a motor.

Rob

Liked: 839

Rob,
    Both MO and VIR can be run with a long or short box. For MO, the short box would be PREFERRED, but LB will work. For VIR, I think the same, but it's closer to a toss up there. The preferred 3rd would be .26 for the LB and .22 for the SB, but either will work.

Can't help you on PIR.
    Steve, FV80
    Racing since '73 - FV since '77

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Steve, thanks for the reply. I was worried about making a trip to these tracks with the wrong setup only to have to make a change at the track, or turn around and head home. Anyone have info regarding PIR?

Contributing Member
    Liked: 290

Remember that you must factor in how your engine specs.

Can it pull and hold 7000 rpm?
    Does your power curve favor low or high power band?
    What options do you have for the power range of the exhaust?

And... how good is your driver and does he learn tracks rapidly?

Brian

Liked: 72

Not sure which PIR you're talking about but if it's Portland, Or. then it's a short box. I personally wouldn't run a long box at MO. Which 3rd gear is almost academic since the difference is so slight. Most folks on the east coast tend to run the 1:22, and in the west we tend to run the 1:26 maybe since we have more hills to climb.
    The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views and opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR. thanks, Brian McCarthy, BOD area 9.

Liked: 304

Not sure which PIR
    Given the location I would guess Pittsburgh.

8. The following members LIKED this post:

Brian, very good points to take into consideration. I will have to address these with the engine builder and put together a plan that would be most suitable as you suggest.

And yes, the PIR I am asking about is Pittsburgh (not Portland).

Rob

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4358

Quote Originally Posted by RNoble View Post
    Brian, very good points to take into consideration. I will have to address these with the engine builder and put together a plan that would be most suitable as you suggest.

Rob
    Don't overthink it. Put the shortbox in your car and forget about it. Put your time, energy, and resources into solid prep and operating expenses. Most any class uses the same gearing for PittRace as M-O.

A good tip for those stepping up to more competitive levels, is to observe what the better guys are doing, but do your own thing, and ignore the psyche jobs that some will throw at you. Generally speaking, it is much more about hard work and attention to detail, than buying trending whizzy bits.
    Last edited by problemchild; 02.06.16 at 12:00 PM.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

11. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 58

Quote Originally Posted by problemchild View Post

A good tip for those stepping up to more competitive levels, is to observe what the better guys are doing, but do your own thing, and ignore the psyche jobs that some will throw at you. Generally speaking, it is much more about hard work and attention to detail, than buying trending whizzy bits.
    This is excellent advice. When we stepped up to the national level of Enduro Karts, which is extremely competitive (it was common to have over 100 entries in some classes at Daytona) we were green and had lots of questions...and got all different answers. Talk about your head spinning with confusion! I finally decided to use my own judgement and that's the day we became nationally competitive. It's good to ask questions about basic stuff, baseline settings, that type of thing. But when you start knocking on the podium door, you have to go it alone.

Rob
    I have never run there but I was surprised, watching onboard video of this track, at how much time is actually spent in 3rd gear with the engine in the upper rev limits. In a couple of the short straights I found myself wanting to upshift, lol! I'm going to be running there in August and it will be interesting to see if I can resist the temptation!

Thanks everyone for the advice. Believe me, I am not trying to overthink things or looking to throw money at 'trick' parts for the car. Just trying to educate myself and have a correctly prepared, safe car for my son to drive while trying to be competitive. Competing in the Majors with drivers that have years of experience on track is a bit concerning to me, since we are still pretty green (only 2 years under our belts at the regional level). My son, however, does not seem to share these same concerns, he is ready for the challenge.

Rob

Thanks everyone for the advice. Believe me, I am not trying to overthink things or looking to throw money at 'trick' parts for the car. Just trying to educate myself and have a correctly prepared, safe car for my son to drive while trying to be competitive. Competing in the Majors with drivers that have years of experience on track is a bit concerning to me, since we are still pretty green (only 2 years under our belts at the regional level). My son, however, does not seem to share these same concerns, he is ready for the challenge.

Rob
    There is no possible way to over think things when it comes to your child's safety. Believe me, I am the MASTER at over thinking when it comes to my child's well being, lol. You can never be too safe or over-prepared. Kids, however don't have the fear like us as you know. When I was a kid I had no fear of anything. I am a little smarter now. But having a proper handling car is extremely important for safety as well as competitiveness.

Thread Information