Liked: 0

Default Tiga SC84 history

Looking for background on a Tiga SC84, chassis #237, SCCA ID #19-1956.

Recently bought the car and am interested in its history--previous owners, races, changes/modifications, etc. (Existing logbooks go back to 2014.)

Looks like the car was in California originally and now it's back East.

Any and all information will be appreciated.

Thanks!

-Ben

Liked: 63

Default Sc84

We had a couple back then, can read any of the names?

Liked: 7

Ask Peter Krause

Liked: 42

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Thompson View Post
    Ask Peter Krause
    i believe his handle on here is tigaman

Liked: 7

Pete Harrison used to kick my ass on a regular bases in a TIGA SC84. As a matter of fact he was always faster in the TIGA than his Shannon. His car was kept by Kevin at Comperent, where did you get the car? Do you have the log book?

Thanks for the info and comments.

The car has been in Florida the last few years.

Initially, the car was based in the SCCA SFO region. At some point, it was sold to someone in Ohio and raced in that area and at SVRA events (maybe more?) in Florida. The person I bought the car from purchased it through a broker. The car was raced at HSR, VDCA and SCCA events in the Southeast in 2014 and 2015

The logbooks I have from the most recent owner go back to 2014.

Liked: 115

Default The Tigaman

Yes - Ask Peter Krause. He knows all you could ever hope to need to know about these - especially the 84. He has his driver coaching business HQ at VIR. Krause and Associates.

JG

Liked: 39

Default Tiga SC84 History

You might also use the search function in the sports racer section here on ApexSpeed or go to this site, Sports 2000 Racing

http://s2racing.yuku.com/forums/2/Ca...e#.WNQdcU3rv3h

and search their. maybe there will be pictures that will help you identify your car and you will be able to message the seller.

Or try Race-cars.com and search there. there are so many race car sales sites but these 3 are a good place to start.
    Last edited by tdf4golf; 03.23.17 at 3:15 PM. Reason: more info

Liked: 67

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBro View Post

Recently bought the car and am interested in its history--previous owners, races, changes/modifications, etc. (Existing logbooks go back to 2014.)

Looks like the car was in California originally and now it's back East.

Any and all information will be appreciated.

Thanks!

-Ben
    Ben, I think you and I have talked, but IIRC, this was a "red" car with a late (SC84) tub and early corners (SC80-SC81, bolt-on with four lugs instead of center lock single for the SC83 and SC84).

This car was purchased in a container (with another similar car and a ton of spares) by Gary Portscher from Ohio (now deceased) along with his buddy Jim Ellis.

Gary's widow is still around and a search in the S2 Yuku might guide you to who sold the package to Gary. I don't have that info.

Quote Originally Posted by neilca View Post
    Pete Harrison used to kick my ass on a regular bases in a TIGA SC84. As a matter of fact he was always faster in the TIGA than his Shannon. His car was kept by Kevin at Comperent, where did you get the car? Do you have the log book?
    Pete had a ton of cars, but the first Tiga I ever saw was Pete at Rockingham kicking S2 cars' a$$es with a CS2! MANY years later, I bought the car that was Pete's primary CS2 car, which again, was a late tub (SC84) with early corners, from Jeff Yeattes in Greensboro NC. This was my first Sports 2000 and it was a good car. Won my first race in one of these cars over Scott Livingston and his son at Barber Motorsports Park in July of 2003. This car now lives with David Hughes of Lancaster Pennsylvania.

I have campaigned Dick Greer's old SC84 for the last ten years. Beat Matt DiRenzo's track record for awhile at NJMP Thunderbolt and have been in the 1:58 range at VIR. VERY fast car... And now I've bought Martin Johns old SC84... The original QuadGraphics, Mike McFarland car with very good pro history.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowBro View Post
    Thanks for the info and comments.

The car has been in Florida the last few years.

Initially, the car was based in the SCCA SFO region. At some point, it was sold to someone in Ohio and raced in that area and at SVRA events (maybe more?) in Florida. The person I bought the car from purchased it through a broker. The car was raced at HSR, VDCA and SCCA events in the Southeast in 2014 and 2015

The logbooks I have from the most recent owner go back to 2014.
    Go ahead and list owners if you can, but I'm sure this is Gary's or Jim Ellis' old car, and DEFINITELY out of that container pair from the West Coast.

They both started campaigning them in Ohio (for Gary) and Atlanta (for Jim) about ten or twelve years ago and this car may have gone to Jim's son in Florida after that.

Quote Originally Posted by tdf4golf View Post
    You might also use the search function in the sports racer section here on ApexSpeed or go to this site, Sports 2000 Racing

http://s2racing.yuku.com/forums/2/Ca...e#.WNQdcU3rv3h

and search their. maybe there will be pictures that will help you identify your car and you will be able to message the seller.

Or try Race-cars.com and search there. there are so many race car sales sites but these 3 are a good place to start.
    The Sports 2000 yuku archives is where I'd look. I have photos buried somewhere when that car was offered to me when I was in the business of buying and selling them.
    -Peter Krause
    1984 Tiga SC
    www.peterkrause.net
    "The Driver is the Greatest Performance Variable in the Racing Equation"

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Terry Hanushek's Avatar
    Liked: 59

Ben

The SCCA ID is assigned when the car is first inspected and issued a car logbook. The first two digits is the region assigning the number and the next four are a sequential number. This number should be stamped some place on the main hoop of the roll bar.

Region 19 is CalClub. You may be able to get some information for the initial owner by contacting their region office. Ceci Smith is the Office Manager; she can be reached at calclubhq@calclub.com . If she doesn't have the information, she can probably point you to the person who does have it.

Happy hunting

Terry

Thanks very much for everyone's input. Greatly appreciated!

Thread Information