Liked: 58

Default Racing Harnesses

I need to install new harnesses and was wondering what others are using in the super tight confines of a vee cockpit. Thanks!

Liked: 2

Default Belts

Bob,
    Racequip, camlock pull up style lap belts. Great product, customer service and re-webbing at a reasonable cost.
    Tom

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by tpapem View Post
    Bob,
    Racequip, camlock pull up style lap belts. Great product, customer service and re-webbing at a reasonable cost.
    Tom
    I was looking at those and they seem perfect, except the ones I see have sewn in snap-in hardware in the lap belt. I need bolt in. Unless they have a set not on their web site...

Quote Originally Posted by bobs66440 View Post
    I was looking at those and they seem perfect, except the ones I see have sewn in snap-in hardware in the lap belt. I need bolt in. Unless they have a set not on their web site...
    I called them and they only have them available in the snap-in style. It seems that the G Force 7101 cam lock set is my only option. Man, with all the formula cars out there, you would think there were more options...

Liked: 610

Default Harness options

The cars I have driven and those in the shop now, all have lap belts that use one method or another to fix their length. They have little room for lap adjusters.
    Our choice is Willans.
    Keith
    Averill Racing Stuff, Inc.
    www.racing-stuff.com
    248-585-9139

7. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by kea View Post
    The cars I have driven and those in the shop now, all have lap belts that use one method or another to fix their length. They have little room for lap adjusters.
    Our choice is Willans.
    That's the issue I have now. The lap belts are at a fixed length and I really can't get them cinched up very tight and still be able to easily get them clicked in.

Liked: 16

I run the Formula belts from OMP. They are HANS shoulder straps, bolt in, pull up lap belt, camlock belts. Perfect. Send a note to: dan@425motorsports.com and he can ship them. Very good belts.
    Stephen Saslow

Liked: 947

+1 for the OMP belts. I just bought a set for my Crossle.

http://www.ompracing.it/en_gb/car-ka...-sl-44845.html
    “Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty.” -Peter Egan

Classifieds Super License Matt Clark's Avatar
    Liked: 356

something else to keep in mind, unless it changed & I missed it, is that FIA belts are valid longer than "regular" belts, so you don't have to replace them as often. and definitely get HANS belts. the narrower shoulder straps are really handy.

I use Schroth, personally. they had all the features I wanted & I found them more inexpensive than other brands.
    ~Matt Clark | RTJ-02 FV #92 | My YouTube Onboard Videos (helmet cam)

Thanks for the replies. I ended up going with the G Force 3" cam lock with pull up lap belt. They are very adjustable and with some preliminary fitting, it seems they will work well. They also have the click-in sub belts which are much easier than the lace and loop ones I have now. I'm using the Necks Gen helmet restraint that accommodates the 3" belts so I should be good to go. Thanks again!

13. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 72

SCCA no longer requires SFI belts to be replaced every two years. It is now 5 years, same as FIA.
    The above post is for reference only and your results may vary. This post is not intended to reflect the views and opinions of SCCA and should not be considered an analysis or opinion of the rules written in the GCR. thanks, Brian McCarthy, BOD area 9.

15. The following members LIKED this post:

Classifieds Super License Matt Clark's Avatar
    Liked: 356

Ah, good. I haven't had to replace mine since I bought FIA belts, but I think I'm on my last year with them. Nice to see some common sense on doing that.
    ~Matt Clark | RTJ-02 FV #92 | My YouTube Onboard Videos (helmet cam)

17. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 2

I went with simpson formula belts. Seems to do the job with flexibilty to cinch up each belt. Their customer service is top notch if you wanted to mod the belts, i.e. shorten and resew, to your car specs.

19. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 323

Something to consider, get a set of 'pull up' lap belts and only use one adjuster. One side can be set up at the correct fixed length then the other side is used to cinch it down tight. That can get you a little more room that a set with 2 adjusters.
    -John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M
    (‘72 Royale RP16 stolen in 2022)

21. The following members LIKED this post:

Quote Originally Posted by scorp997 View Post
    Something to consider, get a set of 'pull up' lap belts and only use one adjuster. One side can be set up at the correct fixed length then the other side is used to cinch it down tight. That can get you a little more room that a set with 2 adjusters.
    That's exactly what I was thinking while I was in the car test fitting the new set. I was able to adjust the one side to a fixed length and cinch down the other side and that worked well. Neither adjuster is in the way. In any case, getting properly belted in is definitely a challenge in these super tight cockpits.

Liked: 323

Great that it works and you have enough room for both adjusters. I was trying to suggest one side of the laps not having any adjuster - fixed length -and only one side with a pull up.

I ended up going the full fixed belt route. There was NO way I could pull up the adjusters in my car (very tight in the shoulder area) and there may be a time I won't have a crew. Once you get the length right (with the help of another person), it only takes a little practice to click yourself in on your own (deep exhale and click!)

Of course the best way is to get a cute grid girl crew member to help buckle you up (my wife might have an issue with that!)
    -John Allen
    Tacoma, WA
    '82 Royale RP31M
    (‘72 Royale RP16 stolen in 2022)

24. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 83

I have mine like that. On one side of the lap belt I have a fixed belt, and on the other side I have a pull up adjuster. Works great within the confines for me. John

26. The following members LIKED this post:

Thread Information