Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Liked: 2

Default The Fords Awaken

Hello drivers, enthusiasts, and wookiees alike!

A NEW HOPE

It is a period of civil war. After decades of turmoil, aluminum heads, and silly Honda engines a new series has risen to bring order, stability, and a bit of fun to the Formula Ford Galaxy.......

Attached are the rules for the 2016 Formula Ford Challenge Series. We will be racing at VIR, Summit Point, Lime Rock, New Jersey Motorsport Park, and Watkins Glen. Read over the rules and let us know if you have any questions! Also, feel free to check out the series official facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/RoyaleFFChallengeSeries/

MAY THE FORDS BE WITH YOU!
    Attached Files Attached Files

2. The following 6 users liked this post:

Liked: 210

WOW, so you are disallowing the Honda and calling it Formula Ford? Considering FORD told SCCA they could no longer call it Formula Ford (switched to F Formula). I wonder if they will accept your series when you disallow Honda's.

And considering how many conversions have already happened, how many potential competitors have you eliminated?

Yes, I'm just stirring the pot a little
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Liked: 29

it'd take a pretty serious cheeseburger regimen to get me up to 1175 lbs

5. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 1432

+1 for the Hoosier vintage tire!

-1 for the 1175 weight. Like Andy said, that is a lot of weight. Unless those vintage tires weigh a considerable amount more, I would be hard pressed to find where to add 75lbs. Not saying I will or won't run, but that many others are in the same boat. Most of the cars targeted in this don't have fancy data systems to add poundage or other fancy stuff. Mine is a iron headed, non-data, steel diff, iron caliper VD and it has 45lbs of lead added to it and I weigh 160. No idea where I would find room to put 75 lbs.

Might be hard to get up to min weight for some cars.
    Last edited by reidhazelton; 01.16.16 at 10:22 AM. Reason: Spelling

7. The following 4 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 471

I'm trying to understand this:

"FF: Post 1981 third generation with inboard suspension front and rear, NO AERO."

Liked: 208

Quote Originally Posted by rickb99 View Post
    WOW, so you are disallowing the Honda and calling it Formula Ford? Considering FORD told SCCA they could no longer call it Formula Ford (switched to F Formula). I wonder if they will accept your series when you disallow Honda's.

And considering how many conversions have already happened, how many potential competitors have you eliminated?

Yes, I'm just stirring the pot a little
    The way it's explained, all potential competitors are running Fords.
    Ralph Z
    1968 Alexis Mk14 Formula Ford

10. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 208

Default Pitt Vintage?

Any chance of this group running the Pittsburgh Vintage GP?
    Ralph Z
    1968 Alexis Mk14 Formula Ford

12. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 23

In the Club Ford section of eligible makes the Van Diemen chassis are listed as FA 73-81, excluding 75. Should it be RF 73-81?
    Van Diemen RF 79 #? Van Deimen RF 78 #231

It's not how fast you go.
    It's how well you go fast.

14. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 302

Default No aero???

I too have not idea what that means. What "areo FF will be accepted on a ........"

"FF: Post 1981 third generation with inboard suspension front and rear, NO AERO."

Ed

16. The following members LIKED this post:

Default Official Response -- FF Challenge Series RULES

Hey everyone... Great Feedback!! I will try to address all the open items as well as give you some concepts behind the decisions. Feel free to contact any of the organizers if you want additional clarifications OR post. We are watching!

Please do not take offense at the initial post, it was meant to lighten the mood on a lot of the more serious topics FF drivers have dealt with over the past decade (plenty of posts here on Apex) while at the same time theme the effort. As you know, sometimes a 'British' humor can be a bit dry. HOWEVER, no offense was meant to any of the FIT engine, Toyo Tire, or Alloy guys.

First ... Why have rules at all? With the recent changes within SVRA and the lack of changes (or snail like pace) of Monoposto; VRG and our series are looking at how best to address the myriad of rules and regulations. Currently we reference several organizations for our rules & regulation, but I think we all agree most are out of date, or changing to fit organizational needs versus the betterment of the group; esp from a vintage/historical POV and the SCCA is just too modern. As such this is a first attempt at this type of effort.

RULE Highlights

-- Yes, NO Honda FIT engines. I am sorry to lose these cars, esp the CF conversions as opposed to the 2016 Pipers. However, as I have stated before we are trying to pay homage to the marque that started this craziness ... that is FORD spec not FIT.

-- Engine Rules updated to 2015 SCCA specification. This was done to ensure alignment with all the engine builders within North America. I think we all agree this is a no brainer.

-- Exceptions do exist to the 2015 SCCA specifications, they are particular to the HF (Historic Ford) and CF (Club Ford) class. This was done to preserve the cars. They do not apply to the FF (Formula Ford) class.

-- Treaded Tires ONLY! I know a lot of you will say Toyo are a treaded tire, but are they really? Without getting into the definition, bottom line once again is our POV and how this series was built. I will note, this is the greatest equalizer for all the various cars built from 1968 through 2016; inclusive of the 'aero' type (think Swift DB1) cars.

That is the high-level, and some concepts... let us address the questions!!

--- WEIGHTS
    Thanks everyone for your feedback! This was a troublesome area for us to address. As you will see, the intent was to add a weight penalty in order to bring inline the ~1-3 second gaps between the various classes of cars. With that said!! The FF Challenge Series WILL NOT be weighing cars as part of the series in 2016. ONLY if we started to see a trend of the newer FF or CF cars dominating (considerations applied as to driver and manufacture), would we try to leverage this part of the Rules & Regulation. However, the final #s would be determined by you all, through feedback mechanisms such as this forum or a survey and would not go into affect without a 1 year notice. In the meantime, the rules will be adjusted to reflect only a 25lb weight per class increase.....THANK YOU ALL for bringing this to our attention.

--- FF: Post 1981 third generation with inboard suspension front and rear, NO AERO
    Another difficult topic, nice to see everyone catching these same discussion points. Unlike DUFFUS, F1600, and the SCCA we are coming from a Historical perspective and growing upwards. Most of the FIT guys or newer cars have a place to run and although not extremely happy have no desire to give up their slick tires or race atmosphere, this effort is to create a group for those who feel left behind OR want more of a Driver's Club not Race Club type atmosphere. There is NO hard rule on 'aero' versus 'non Aero' other then referencing the Swift DB1. If you feel this is a concern, reach out direct and I will be happy to discuss and/or evaluate the car you are proposing to run.

--- Any chance of this group running the Pittsburgh Vintage GP?
    YES!! Not in 2016, but we are already discussing with the PVGP being back in 2017. They have been very receptive to the idea. As many may or may not know, they have a huge FJr event this year. Note - One other key point on calendar, many of the tracks selected for the inaugural year are key historical tracks of significance to Formula Ford. Just something to think about!!

--- In the Club Ford section of eligible makes the Van Diemen chassis are listed as FA 73-81, excluding 75. Should it be RF 73-81?
    YES, sorry for the confusion. Definitely a typo on our behalf. The beauty of dealing with a driver's organization is that we can quickly remedy this issue. I will have it addressed by the end of next week. Thanks for your review and comment!

SUMMARY

Thanks again for all the feedback, I hope that I have addressed all the concerns and I look forward to additional feedback (pro or con). The FF Challenge Series team meets weekly and are happy to invite those who would like to influence or assist in this effort...just let me know!

May the 'FORDS' be with you .....

--- Christopher Shoemaker
    Royale Racing, LLC

18. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 79

I would like to get my car finished and out to some of these events, it's a 1989 Mondiale, any thoughts on if it would be classed as an "Aero Car" or not? I like the general rule set but the "No Aero" has me concerned. As you mentioned above I feel like my car has been left behind and I'm certainly not putting a Fit in there, If I can't come here because of aero I might be screwed!!!

As a point of reference the outer edge of the radiator inlets are 2" narrower than a db-1, What are your thoughts??
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mondiale Side.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	29.1 KB 
ID:	58360  
    Williams Racing Developments Inc
    704 658 0940 www.willrace.com

WE HAVE MOVED...... 503 Performance Road, Mooresville, NC, 28115

20. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 757

Don't forget Lee you have a big handicap with the driver.

22. The following 2 users liked this post:

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 855

Quote Originally Posted by SEComposites View Post
    Don't forget Lee you have a big handicap with the driver.
    Is that even the MAIN handicap? When was the last time that car rolled under it's own power?!?!
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

24. The following members LIKED this post:

WRD

Contributing Member Robert J. Alder's Avatar
    Liked: 301

Your Series sure seems like a neat vintage spirit driven deal. Sure better than the goofy SVRA R888 tire requirement which, seems to me, will piss of everyone (modern slick runners and vintage treaded tire runners). Oh well.

Default 2016 FF Challenge Series -- RULES updated

just to keep everyone on the same page, some minor changes to the rules were published to align the weight issue - reference above posts and to include the Hoosier specifics. Going forward the rules are located here:

http://vrgonline.org/news/ff_challenge.html

Let me know if you have any questions, and I look forward to seeing you all at our first event in April. VDCA VIR 'Wild Hare'

Royale Racing, LLC

Liked: 78

I am looking for a clarification on no aero. Would my Swift DB1 be eligible to run in this series? If so what minimum weight would I be required to run? What tires would I be required to run?

Thank you,
    Derek

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1906

I would be interested to know about the DB1 and at what weight also. I have a customer who may be interested in running the series.
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Default Formula Ford - CLASS

Thank you for your inquiries on the SWIFT DB1. There has been much discussion on what constitutes an 'aero' and what does not and this is a car is at the center of that conversation. Since I am the guy with the 'short straw' for the FF class, I would like to discuss the particulars offline and attempt to clarify. Please see my contact below, and I look forward to the discussion.

Christopher Shoemaker
    Royale Racing, LLC
    267-559-3435

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1906

Christopher, Clarifying here would probably be best but I guess I'll give you a call tomorrow.

Thanks, Mike
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

31. The following members LIKED this post:

Default Clarification ....

I believe in transparency, however, the forum administrators are already moving threads and having issues with posts. I reached out privately to Doug, but so far I have not heard back from the inquiry. As such I do not want to create any more angst until we can resolve the proper way to leverage Apexspeed for this effort; ideally my preference is for this site to be the preferred way to communicate.

So if anyone is interested in running the series in the meantime, please reach out directly and I will be happy to discuss. Once I get feedback from the forum administrators I will post any/all clarifications needed to ensure the FF community is on the same page.

Royale Racing, LLC

Liked: 210

Quote Originally Posted by RoyaleRacingLLC View Post
    .... I reached out privately to Doug, but so far I have not heard back from the inquiry. As such I do not want to create any more angst until we can resolve the proper way to leverage Apexspeed for this effort; ideally my preference is for this site to be the preferred way to communicate--- Christopher Shoemaker
    Royale Racing, LLC
    Cannot imagine why Doug would have a problem with answering you. He's always been very forthright in his opinions about supporting or not supporting stuff. Why wouldn't your 'organization' fit in to the "Independent Racing Organizations" section?
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

34. The following members LIKED this post:

Default Clarification (current status)

Quote Originally Posted by rickb99 View Post
    Cannot imagine why Doug would have a problem with answering you. He's always been very forthright in his opinions about supporting or not supporting stuff. Why wouldn't your 'organization' fit in to the "Independent Racing Organizations" section?
    As I stated, I am waiting to hear back. I am sure he will respond. The primary issue is that CF kind of fit in 2 sections: Historic Ford and Formula F. As such we have posted in both. He feels this is a VINTAGE only cause of tire. HOWEVER, since we allow 1x outings for all FF in AS IS we want to offer this to those outside the norm vintage mechanisms. To further complicate we DO ALLOW post 81' cars with KENT motors. It appears that since we do not meet all the SCCA regs (FIT, slicks, etc...) he pushes us back to Vintage; which is not accurate either. Hence the conflict and the reason I wrote (no # to call) for clarification.

Liked: 67

It IS vintage-only, Chris! Hence, it's properly categorized.

Tire regs, engine regs and the nebulous "no aero" (what was that extended engine cover bodywork on the Zink supposed to do with the air passing over it? ) make that pretty clear.

I hate it when one small corner of the sport comes in and address the whole without doing their homework...
    -Peter Krause
    1984 Tiga SC
    www.peterkrause.net
    "The Driver is the Greatest Performance Variable in the Racing Equation"

Default Guess we will agree to disagree ....

Peter - I am sorry but I thought you were smarter then that ... silly guy! Stick with the S2000, if I recall you all had a lot of the same issues a couple of years back. Need a reminder? Since you have no dog in this hunt, I will not say anything further!!

Royale Racing, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Tigaman View Post
    It IS vintage-only, Chris! Hence, it's properly categorized.

Tire regs, engine regs and the nebulous "no aero" (what was that extended engine cover bodywork on the Zink supposed to do with the air passing over it? ) make that pretty clear.

I hate it when one small corner of the sport comes in and address the whole without doing their homework...

Peter - I am sorry but I thought you were smarter then that ... silly guy! Stick with the S2000, if I recall you all had a lot of the same issues a couple of years back. Need a reminder? Since you have no dog in this hunt, I will not say anything further!!

Royale Racing, LLC
    Chris, I think you are confused.

We both know how successful Sports 2000 has turned out to be. Forty cars at VIR last September? Dozens of cars at April VIR, the Jefferson 500, Indy and Mid-Ohio? My wisdom is proven. Sorry!

We didn't have any issues except for silly little arbitrary and pecuniary interpretations of what was "vintage" about a class, a big danger with the way you have presented yours...

Sports 2000 had/has well-written, historically supportable rules taken, incidentally, DIRECTLY from SCCA. This allowed us to invite seamlessly drivers with cars competing currently to join the fun!

Your attempt a levity with the original post failed. And you are digging a deeper hole. Quit now.
    -Peter Krause
    1984 Tiga SC
    www.peterkrause.net

Peter ... if you want to attack, feel free to call! Obviously you are confused .. I know the history of S2000 the split, the failure, and when push came to shove - THE COMPROMISE to bring everybody back.

If you want to talk about integrity, let me remind you WHY you were removed from the Driver Committee? Could it be the lies?

If you want to talk car counts .... hmmmm , 2014 40cars at Summit for the Royale Cup, we average 20+ cars when I have been invovled and currently we exceed your group on car counts for VIR

you may be WISE, but my formula WORKS better so don't act like you know more. Cause you do not on this matter. Stick with what you know!

FYI - I have nothing to HIDE ... come and get some OR better yet stop by and VIR and we can settle up on that old score!

Royale Racing, LLC

Chris, I think you are confused.

We both know how successful Sports 2000 has turned out to be. Forty cars at VIR last September? Dozens of cars at April VIR, the Jefferson 500, Indy and Mid-Ohio? My wisdom is proven. Sorry!

We didn't have any issues except for silly little arbitrary and pecuniary interpretations of what was "vintage" about a class, a big danger with the way you have presented yours...

Sports 2000 had/has well-written, historically supportable rules taken, incidentally, DIRECTLY from SCCA. This allowed us to invite seamlessly drivers with cars competing currently to join the fun!

Your attempt a levity with the original post failed. And you are digging a deeper hole. Quit now.

Chris, the Fords awoke long ago.

There is good participation across the country and at existing events like VIR in April and the Jefferson in May. I just don't think there is a need for ANOTHER series to potentially dilute entries and muddle the already complicated and varying rules from group to group and region to region.

Besides, for you to present this series like it is somehow the savior of FFord is just flat wrong.

Why not ally yourself with Monoposto or some other existing vintage program instead of reinventing the wheel? VRG and VDCA have each done well with that approach.

I will not indulge you at VIR. The less we have to do with each other, the better. Off the drivers committee? Yeah, because I helped put YOU on probation for your mistakes...
    -Peter Krause
    1984 Tiga SC
    www.peterkrause.net

If you want to talk car counts .... we average 20+ cars when I have been invovled and currently we exceed your group on car counts for VIR

you may be WISE, but my formula WORKS better so don't act like you know more. Cause you do not on this matter. Stick with what you know!

Royale Racing, LLC
    Just to refresh my memory (and make sure I DO, in fact, KNOW), the VIR April car counts for the past three years have been:

2013:
    9 S2
    11 FF/CF

2014:
    15 S2
    10 FF/CF

2015:
    16 S2
    11 FF/CF

Of course, now that YOU are invovled (sic), these are magically going to go through the roof?!?

Seriously, I have a lot of good Formula Ford/Club Ford friends and enjoy the history and heritage of the class. I loved seeing all the cars at the Jefferson 500 and look forward to burgeoning growth of both FF/CF and S2 in historic racing. These cars are important and it is important that they have a place to run. Which they have and they do.

But, NO person or self-promoting series idea is more important than the history of the class...
    -Peter Krause
    1984 Tiga SC
    www.peterkrause.net

Default You just insist .... Here is the final comment,

I agree .. you stay out of my business and I will yours!

The probation you refer to got you kicked off the committee cause you lied, if you recall. Didn't do your due diligence cause you have no integrity ... but I digress this is about FF

We have reached out and worked with everyone for the new model! Now while I appreciated your OLD CRONIES type approach, MONOPOSTO has been broken for many years. VRG ignited FF in the Northeast and if you think different, it shows how out of touch you are on this matter historically. You do remember VRG? Oh yeah another feather in my cap I guess as a founding father.

VRG is once again, taking up the challenge to increase camaraderie, grid sizes, and value of competition .... I call it evolving; maybe you should take the time to understand before you comment on things that you have no understanding. I know you are scared, we get to big we would not need to mix with S2000, or your friends in the SVRA may lose cars in the NorthEast. BUT please just stick with what you know!

If you choose to comment further, please note I will refrain. However, I will make it a point to say hello at VIR. So just stop, you have no dog in this hunt nor the integrity to come and play in the FF sandbox

Royale Racing, LLC

Chris, the Fords awoke long ago. There is good participation across the country and at existing events like VIR in April and the Jefferson in May. I just don't think there is a need for ANOTHER series to potentially dilute entries and muddle the already complicated and varying rules from group to group and region to region.

Why not ally yourself with Monoposto or some other existing vintage program instead of reinventing the wheel? I thought VRG and VDCA had each done well with that approach.

I will not indulge you at VIR, the less we have to do with each other, the better. Off the drivers committee? Yeah, because I helped put YOU on probation for your mistakes...

Default Peter ... did you forget about 2016?

Like I said .... happy to discuss at the track, but as always you say a lot but it has no meaning!!

--- Chris

Contributing Member Bernard Bradpiece's Avatar
    Liked: 182

Default Claryfying the clarification

Peter
    I am, as usual, a little slow on the uptake. However, I came to learn over time that if it looks like duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, the greater probability is that its a duck. So help me out.

A club Ford is a SCCA regionally described class with different rules for different regions. The commonality is that the cars are monoposto adhering to the SCCA pre 1986 Rules for cars, with outboard suspension at one end - largely cars built between 1973 and 1981. It had, until recently a Ford engine - hence the term Club Ford There is a list of cars that are considered Club Fords. Tires vary by region.

So the Royale rules describe the Club Ford as a Ford engined monoposto adhering to appropriate SCCA requirements and the Group chooses to run treaded tires.

To me sounds suspiciously like an SCCA Club Ford. There are people that cross over from SCCA to VRG using the same Club Ford.

All that is at issue here is how does the Royale Series ensure it is keeping Apexspeed Club Ford owners up to date if it cannot communicate to the Formula F Club Ford section where the Club Ford thread and owners hang out. And why is it so terrible that we should communicate with these guys in the first place?

I fully understand there are influential people on this site with a vested interest in seeing the Royale Series not succeed - but I know I must be paranoid that this issue has arisen.

Would be happy to discuss the rationale for the Series, what it is trying to achieve for Formula Ford owners and the balancing act needed to move it all forward, the discussions with other players etc. As with anything to do with racing, 30 racers will offer 50 positions, all different and get exercised if each position is not agreed with.

Wild Hare entries are up 40% over last year with a month to go - maybe - just maybe Chris is tapping a need. Early indications are the Jefferson will be the best ever with between 30 and 38 entries.

Time will tell.

I still need to understand the logic.
    Best
    BB

Like I said .... happy to discuss at the track, but as always you say a lot but it has no meaning!!

--- Chris
    Right, Chris. Doesn't fit into your alternate reality.

As a life member of VRG and member number 12, I'm bona fide.

Peace, out.
    -Peter Krause
    1984 Tiga SC
    www.peterkrause.net

Quote Originally Posted by BB2 View Post
    Peter
    I am, as usual, a little slow on the uptake. However, I came to learn over time that if it looks like duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, the greater probability is that its a duck. So help me out.

A club Ford is a SCCA regionally described class with different rules for different regions. The commonality is that the cars are monoposto adhering to the SCCA pre 1986 Rules for cars, with outboard suspension at one end - largely cars built between 1973 and 1981. It had, until recently a Ford engine - hence the term Club Ford There is a list of cars that are considered Club Fords. Tires vary by region.

So the Royale rules describe the Club Ford as a Ford engined monoposto adhering to appropriate SCCA requirements and the Group chooses to run treaded tires.

To me sounds suspiciously like an SCCA Club Ford. There are people that cross over from SCCA to VRG using the same Club Ford.

All that is at issue here is how does the Royale Series ensure it is keeping Apexspeed Club Ford owners up to date if it cannot communicate to the Formula F Club Ford section where the Club Ford thread and owners hang out. And why is it so terrible that we should communicate with these guys in the first place?

I fully understand there are influential people on this site with a vested interest in seeing the Royale Series not succeed - but I know I must be paranoid that this issue has arisen.

Would be happy to discuss the rationale for the Series, what it is trying to achieve for Formula Ford owners and the balancing act needed to move it all forward, the discussions with other players etc. As with anything to do with racing, 30 racers will offer 50 positions, all different and get exercised if each position is not agreed with.

Wild Hare entries are up 40% over last year with a month to go - maybe - just maybe Chris is tapping a need. Early indications are the Jefferson will be the best ever with between 30 and 38 entries.

Time will tell.

I still need to understand the logic.
    Best
    BB
    BB, I think you present that question quite reasonably. I have no answer other than vintage and historic racing participation is up across the board while Club Racing and other contemporary, amateur racing entry numbers are down. Wild Hare and Jefferson will be great!

Chris is quite right, I have no dog in this hunt.

I am for Club Ford and Formula Ford in historic racing, that is all. Some of the best drivers I have known (and some of the best drivers I've worked with) drive Fords.

I'm not sure why anyone would have a "vested interest in seeing the Royale Series not succeed." That statement has more than a tinge of conspiracy theory in it, to me.

It's just that the initial post rubbed me wrong, as well as the slam on how Doug runs this most excellent forum and then the lack of public discussion or open response on the legitimate question concerning the DB-1's. That is the only fuss I made.

Before Chris lost his cool, as he often does...
    Last edited by Tigaman; 03.10.16 at 6:37 PM. Reason: Three concerns from one, added.
    -Peter Krause
    1984 Tiga SC
    www.peterkrause.net

Contributing Member Bernard Bradpiece's Avatar
    Liked: 182

Guys
    Lets cool down.
    This is supposed to be fun.

Peter, you may not be aware that this Series is not Chris's Series - it is underwritten by VRG, with support from VDCA. Its not a "separate series". VRG did not have a series, rather a number of unjoined events. Chris is leading a team of VRG members (for disclosure I am one of the team) who looked to bring focus to an area that was unfocused. Although entries have grown over the years - ironically for this discussion, in Club Ford - the Historic group has not been growing and active car numbers are quite small despite a large Historic membership. The Series goal is to continue the growth, look to add later cars as it previously added Club Fords, and to encourage the Historic guys.

There is limited opportunity to run SVRA in the North East without lots of travel and SVRA heretofore has demonstrated only limited interest in Formula Fords. Despite knowing our plans and much discussion, Monoposto actually reduced the number of VRG events to zero for this years championship. They really are more SVRA affiliated.

At this point we have 18 entries for VIR - you noted we had 11 last year.

It would be really good for there to be a positive attitude for what we are doing, and to join in the team discussions if there are better ways of us achieving our goal. Its easier to knock things down that to build - see Donald Drumpf.

Best
    BB

Liked: 1417

I came to learn over time that if it looks like duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, the greater probability is that its a duck. So help me out.
    Very correct.

If it's an SCCA-spec'd Formula F, it can reside in the FF forum with the rest of the current Ford and Honda-based race cars. If your rules are vintage tires (only), vintage motors (only) in vintage cars (only), then the discussion belongs in the Vintage forum. If it walks like a duck...

You guys also have a dedicated VRC forum here on ApexSpeed to promote in, too, if I am not mistaken. This is part of the VRG, correct?

This page has over 1,600 views as of right now. It's not like it's invisible in the Vintage Forums.

I don't feel the need to clarify this any further.

Doug,

This is why I reached out and wanted to chat ....

Hoosier is NOT a vintage tire, please reference the Monoposto rules&regulations
    We updated to the 2015 SCCA engine regulations, also not part of Monoposto
    Club Fords are not in the Vintage section, but rather Formula F
    etc ...

Your forum, but based on the outline you provided ... our posts should not of been moved. I ask again for you to reach out to have an open discussion with give and take.

Royale Racing, LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Carter View Post
    Very correct.

If it's an SCCA-spec'd Formula F, it can reside in the FF forum with the rest of the current Ford and Honda-based race cars. If your rules are vintage tires (only), vintage motors (only) in vintage cars (only), then the discussion belongs in the Vintage forum. If it walks like a duck...

You guys also have a dedicated VRC forum here on ApexSpeed to promote in, too, if I am not mistaken. This is part of the VRG, correct?

This page has over 1,600 views as of right now. It's not like it's invisible in the Vintage Forums.

I don't feel the need to clarify this any further.

Doug,

Hoosier is NOT a vintage tire, please reference the Monoposto rules&regulations

Royale Racing, LLC
    https://www.hoosiertire.com/pdfs/PB%20VFF.PDF
    -Peter Krause
    1984 Tiga SC
    www.peterkrause.net

Liked: 126

Interesting read on this thread! That sure looks like a vintage Hoosier...

52. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1

What is particularly interesting is that effectively the biggest, most important Formula Ford races that exist - the ones that the American scholarship kids are desperate to get to, the only ones followed world wide on the Internet - the Formula Ford Festival and the Walter Hayes are by the definition on here effectively vintage races.
    How many Formula Ford races get the kind of uptake those two races get? When you get the likes of Nick Tandy, Darren Turner, a host of current LMP 2 and 3 drivers, drivers just out of F3 and so on, there must be something worthwhile going on surely?
    Our sport can be a broad church, why does it need to be so aggressively pigeon holed?

54. The following members LIKED this post:

Default Follow up ....

THANKS to Doug for reaching out! More to come, but Doug and I have worked out a solution that helps to resolve the posting issue. Hopefully we will have it in place next week and can start to concentrate on Formula Fords WIN WIN

My previous post regarding Hoosier was not as well written as I had hoped, let me clarify as some have taken it out of context

'Hoosier is NOT a vintage tire, please reference the Monoposto rules&regulations

The point was that Monoposto has not accepted these tires and as the key resource on definitions for vintage there is a gap; which was why I added the reference. Yes they are vintage in design and similar to Dunlop/Avon. YES, VRG has accepted them and our sister clubs (PVGP, VDCA) will accept our cars at their events. We did try to get Monoposto to update, but with the SVRA accepting a myriad of tires I think they want to perform a more 'wait & see' approach. The forum has Monoposto classes as part of the structure, my point was only that Hoosier may not fit in that section either based on the written rule.... nothing more. Same issue occurred 10years ago when we moved CF out of the Formula70 and onto treaded tires - Yes another tumultuous time but for the HF racers.

'What is particularly interesting is that effectively the biggest, most important Formula Ford races that exist - the ones that the American scholarship kids are desperate to get to, the only ones followed world wide on the Internet - the Formula Ford Festival and the Walter Hayes are by the definition on here effectively vintage races.'

Paperclip - Excellent point! Much of what we have tried to do with the Formula Ford Challenge Series has been to model after the success seen in Europe. Another great resource has been our own west coast series; tires aside. Personally I see no reason we can not do the same here in NA. There are enough cars, and with Formula 4 out the door in 2016 (earlier for other countries) Formula Fords will become obsolete in SCCA as a series - Just my thoughts, but part of the recipe for what we have done! Our goal is a spec tire/series for all (starting in the Northeast) ... I think that has to start with one key decision: Slick or Treaded? Then we can start to truly gather.

FYI .... The new www site is up and running! Thanks to VRG for hosting and development. Let me know what you all think? http://www.formulafordchallengeseries.com

Royale Racing, LLC

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information