Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked: 280

Default Right Coast Formula F Series 2016 Schedule

Five months to get ready!

With a mere five months lead time many Formula F and CF drivers are no doubt frantically preparing their mounts for the initial event of the 2016 Right Coast Formula F Series (nee DUFFUS) scheduled for the lightning fast New Jersey Motorsports Park Lightning Course on the June 3-5 weekend.

To be held in conjunction with the South Jersey Region SCCA New Jersey Road Racing Championship, the event kicks off the RCFFS season to begin the quest for the DUFFUS Crown to be named at a time and place to be announced as soon as those details are decided.

With four events scheduled at a diverse group of facilities from Mid Ohio to the new Dominion Raceway Park and a stop at Pittsburgh International Race Complex as well as NJMP; the RCFFS offers all FF and CF competitors single class (ok, technically FF and CF are two classes but you understand. Hopefully...........) racing at great tracks with interesting supporting races and classes.

From Formula Race Promotions F2000/1600/Atlantic series races to SCCA's myriad of classes and types of cars, RCFFS racers have the opportunity to share race weekends with a wide range of like minded competitors.

The full schedule is listed below with two unoffically RCFFS Flash Mob weeekends planned to fill in the blanks, those being the newly repaved Watkins Glen International in conjunction with the traditional September Fun One running the long course on Saturday and the Short (or NASCAR) course on Sunday and the also traditional NARRC Runoffs at Lime Rock Park scheduled for late August in 2016.

The two Flash Mob events will not however feature the FF/CF only races as featured at the currently scheduled four Official RCFFS weekends.

June 3 (track test day), 4 & 5 at New Jersey Motorsports Park's Lightning Circuit with the South Jersey Region SCCA Regional.

July 1-3 at Mid Ohio Sports Car Course with Formula Race Promotions (FRP) SCCA Pro Racing F2000/1600/Atlantic series.

August 5-7 at Pittsburgh International Race Complex also with FRP's three series and NARRA sports cars.

October 7-9 at Dominion Raceway Park again with FRP's Pro Series.

Additionally RCFFS associated Flash Mob race weekends on August 26-27 at Lime Rock Park with the New York Region SCCA NARRC Runoffs and September 17-18 at Watkins Glen International with the Finger Lakes Region SCCA Fun One.

We are still working on the details for a race weekend at Summit Point and we hope to announce that event shortly so please stay tuned.

Thanks,

Joe Marcinski
    1977 Royale RP24 #04 Club Ford

Liked: 127

Is it June yet? Everybody out there on the "right" coast, time to start prepping your cars!
    Will Velkoff
    Van Diemen RF00 / Honda FF

3. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member
    Liked: 302

Default Started

I am already behind. Cyl head is on bench and I will work on cleaning it up tonight for evaluation.

Liked: 78

This should be the time that everyone starts to post about how they are planning to run this series and trash talk? And what type of car that they will be bringing. I will finally break away from my short commute comfort zone Summit Point. I plan on running a few of the events after I shake the DB1 down at MARRS 1. Now that I have my new fancy rebuilt shocks and fat boy DB1 cockpit frame mod and setting the car up for radials. I cant wait to get the car out this spring.

Year 1984
    Swift DB1
    Engine Kent

Joe M that is behind this great series drove my car when it was new. I still have no idea how he fit in the car. I don't fit in the car...

Derek Holmes

Default Right Coast Formula F Series 2016

Hmmm,

How to respond without embarrassing myself? Let's just say that at that point in time I was a smaller, more active version of Joe. I was running an average of 50 miles a week and still found it to be a rather confining cockpit.

The tech folks at Watkins Glen found reasons to object to my footwear. My feet are so large that I had to adopt a different approach to rules compliant footwear. I wore one pair of Nomex socks (which for some reason are a current popular post race check in the MARRS series) as "fireproof socks". I then taped specially cut thin leather soles to the bottom of those socks. Then I put on a second set of Nomex socks which were my "leather or fireproof shoes".

Loved the DB-1, it is a great car. But, since I am somewhat less aero efficient now I favor Club Fords that can accommodate the larger posteriors that come with age, wisdom and an affinity for Ben & Jerry's.

Joe M.

7. The following 3 users liked this post:

My post was talking about height and width in the shoulder area. Lets just say I am not the tallest person in the world and I have a hard time fitting into the car.

No offense taken Derek. And given the fact that I am still racing, perhaps we should strike the "wisdom" portion from that explanation.............

Joe M.

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

Guys,
    If you think Joe in a DB-1 had to be difficult just imagine him trying to squeeze the later not 50 miles per week Joe into an ADF ! Must have been mid 2000's and pre-Tiga maybe ?
    How on earth he managed to not just get in it but actually operate all the controls is a mystery only he knows.
    He had not become quite as short for his weight at that time however.....

By the way Derek, I have every intention of running all the 2016 RCFFS events plus the two Lime Rock and the Watkins Glen Fun one in my trusty old Crossle 30F with the Honda motor still as good as ever, maybe better with some miles on it !
    Tow vehicle permitting of course after last Octobers Suburban needing to be re-transmissioned after my abortive attempt to join the fun at PIRC in the cold and sleet at the end of 2015.

Joe, love the WGI tech folks pondering your "shoe" solution !
    Cheaper than toe shortening surgery.......

I am going to attempt to make as many events that I can providing I can keep all 4 corners on the car. I had to get my car modified because I was tired of hearing comments from Shayne Frebert and Mike Kelly. But to tell you the truth I think they were just jealous. At some point those two had to get tired of looking at the back of my car...

Joe M is more than welcome to comment...

I'm out for now. No more self induced humiliation for today. Going to listen to Herman Edwards admonition; "Don't hit the SEND button".

Well, maybe just a little bit to add.............

Derek, remember I have advised you to not talk too much trash with Mr. Kelly because he is better at it than you are !

Joe M.

I am having way to much fun with this. I am sure I will have some pleasant text on my phone to read soon.

Liked: 19

Default Wisdom

Derek, Remember that wisdom as passed on by the Yoda of Formula Ford!!! It may keep you out of trouble in the future, as you tend towards the DARK SIDE of the force.

15. The following members LIKED this post:

Poke the bear I did tell you not to !!!

Liked: 74

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Holmes View Post
    I am going to attempt to make as many events that I can providing I can keep all 4 corners on the car. I had to get my car modified because I was tired of hearing comments from Shayne Frebert and Mike Kelly. But to tell you the truth I think they were just jealous. At some point those two had to get tired of looking at the back of my car...

Joe M is more than welcome to comment...

The comments you were hearing was mainly just to keep you on the track instead of pitting every 4th lap each race.... You'll keep all 4 corners on the car man, just don't drive it like you do Go Karts.... Then you'll end up like... Well ya know....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Kelly View Post
    Derek, Remember that wisdom as passed on by the Yoda of Formula Ford!!! It may keep you out of trouble in the future, as you tend towards the DARK SIDE of the force.
    Let's see how he applies the wisdom to other tracks...... I cannot wait to find out... Ill be right there beside you Derek

I am just glad you both run cameras so I can review the footage to see how my car looks going through a turn...

19. The following members LIKED this post:

When the stewards call us into a room and ask what happened (this happens to you as I've seen), ill just be like, here I have video hahah

Theyll nickname you Dive Bomb Derek......

You two know me I will have to be the mature one again and take the high road...

Liked: 20

Hmmmmmm. Looks like a booby trap. Or quicksand.

23. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member

Default Lightning

Prepping the Bowman for NJ (well at this point just general prep). I have been to NJ many times but only driving the FF on Thunder. Does anyone have a recomended gear set I could use for a starting point for Lightning? 10:31 R&P.

Ed

Hi Ed,

You could try 18/33, 20/32, 22/30, 24/28. That might be pretty close for you.

Joe M.

Contributing Member

Default Gear sets

Are you saying I am too slow to use the gear sets the fast guys use?

Ed

Don't worry I can vouch for Shayne that he will be the slow one. You can always tell when the race is half over because you will be lapping him.

28. The following members LIKED this post:

That set is slightly taller than what I might choose because your car is more aero efficient than a Club Ford............... Absolutely no slight intended. Maybe Dave Petzko might chime in here as he has run there more than I have and may have something closer for an FF.

Joe M.

Contributing Member

Default Correction

I assume you corrected from the 9:31 you run to 10:31. Correct?

Ed

That is correct Ed. Those ratios would be for a 10/31.

Joe M.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Holmes View Post
    Don't worry I can vouch for Shayne that he will be the slow one. You can always tell when the race is half over because you will be lapping him.
    I've thought of what would be the best choice in words for this...

You passed me in the same reasons I passed you at the start of a race, not even one lap... Heck I think the pace car was still out?? I think the excuse was something about tires, and forgetting how to use a valve core tool?

On a side not, Where Sam Eyler at? Sam Youngman? David & Angela? Chuck Van Norstrand?

Liked: 23

Is there a website for the series?
    What is the FF tire?

Thanks
    Greg

Hi Greg,

We do not have a website for the RCFFS. We use this ApexSpeed website to keep the drivers informed and we also follow up with e-mails to all the drivers. If you would like to have us put you on our contact list, please PM your e-mail address to me and I will get you on the list. Please include a phone number (optional) your make of car, engine and what class you would be racing in.

The Formula F class for our series does not have a tire rule. The choice of tire for FF is up to you. We have done this so that drivers who still use or have tires that are not currently eligible for SCCA Majors events can use what they have. For Club Ford drivers we use the SCCA Washington DC Region CF rules which call for a hard compound tire. I can furnish a list of tires in those rules if you so desire.

I hope that helps and thanks for your interest in the RCFFS.

Joe Marcinski
    1977 Royale RP24 Club Ford

Liked: 29

Default Where we are

Quote Originally Posted by S. Frebert View Post
    I've thought of what would be the best choice in words for this...

You passed me in the same reasons I passed you at the start of a race, not even one lap... Heck I think the pace car was still out?? I think the excuse was something about tires, and forgetting how to use a valve core tool?

On a side not, Where Sam Eyler at? Sam Youngman? David & Angela? Chuck Van Norstrand?
    Dave and Angela here... Cars ready except for a little paint work. Planning on RCFFS @ NJMP

36. The following members LIKED this post:

So who is going to NJMP for the RCFFS season opener? I am going with my DB1. I hope JD or Max depending on who is driving will take it easy on me with home field advantage!

Derek

Contributing Member

Default Bowman

I plan on bringing the Bowman down. I have driven Thunder many times but never at speed on Lightening. So I will be going slow picking my way around on old tires the first session.

Ed

I will have new radials on my car. I will probably be sitting over in the dirt some place thinking I really should have given it more time to learn the track.

40. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 0

Default Shame....

Its a shame, I was really excited to come out and try one of your events in my club ford, but as I understand it you allow the dirty Honda engine cars in?

That is disgusting.

Looks like I am locked into the Royale Formula Ford Challenge Series this year! I was reading their rules and I was pleasantly surprised to see no Honda crap allowed (http://www.formulafordchallengeseries.com).

Pretty cool I'd say!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cass Racing View Post
    Its a shame, I was really excited to come out and try one of your events in my club ford, but as I understand it you allow the dirty Honda engine cars in?

That is disgusting.

Looks like I am locked into the Royale Formula Ford Challenge Series this year! I was reading their rules and I was pleasantly surprised to see no Honda crap allowed (http://www.formulafordchallengeseries.com).

Pretty cool I'd say!!!

If you're a good enough driver, that engine wont matter regionally.....

That is Funny

Liked: 201

That is disgusting.

Pretty cool I'd say!!!
    FYI, the Ford loaded in my trailer has more power than the Honda that is also loaded in my trailer. YMMV

44. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 67

That is disgusting.

Looks like I am locked into the Royale Formula Ford Challenge Series this year!
    Another troll, giving a bad name to vintage drivers the world over... (and I am one...)

There is nothing disgusting about a racing car. People, however? Not so much.

The only person "locking you in" is you.

I think think you should try both, THEN post.

If you're not going to venture out of the series you are NOT locked into, then shut up.

See you at VIR?
    -Peter Krause
    1984 Tiga SC
    www.peterkrause.net
    "The Driver is the Greatest Performance Variable in the Racing Equation"

46. The following 4 users liked this post:

Liked: 56

That is disgusting.

Pretty cool I'd say!!!
    I have been racing SCCA CF continuously since 1987. I absolutely love the class. Probably my best decision was to buy the specific Crossle I have in 1989. Easily the second best decision was to convert the car to the Honda Fit! No more adjusting valves, points, timing, jetting. No more freshening the head. No more oil leaks. No more visits to the engine builder. I can't imagine a better package for CF than the Crossle HONDA. Change oil, add gas and go!
    Kevin
    Crossle 35F
    Van Diemen RF02

48. The following 3 users liked this post:

Quote Originally Posted by Tigaman View Post
    Another troll, giving a bad name to vintage drivers the world over... (and I am one...)

There is nothing disgusting about a racing car. People, however? Not so much.

The only person "locking you in" is you.

I think think you should try both, THEN post.

If you're not going to venture out of the series you are NOT locked into, then shut up.

See you at VIR?
    Mr. Cass,
    This is a great idea!! Please say you'll be at VIR. It'll be my first time there, and I have to say I cant wait. Maybe make a wager? Steak Dinner (Racing tradition) Kent Vs Kent. You have to beat my fastest laps there by at least 4? seconds? I figure I could be a good benchmark for you being a Rookie and having no data acq, nice shocks but just a swelled ego

Please say yes to VIR as I can't wait for this event already and it would be some great racing....

50. The following 2 users liked this post:

Liked: 3

Default Dirty Honda???

You just showed your @ss! Go race by yourself. This is an open contest not a parade as in Pebble Beach.

If you cannot compete go back to the show car circuit. I want to take on all comers as long as they race by the rules. That way I know that when I finish up front it is by merit.

In competition there are winners and losers, not everyone gets a trophy. That is the whole point my friend. @ssholes like you are at the vanguard of screwing up all that is good about racing and being American. YMMV.

Sean

52. The following members LIKED this post:

Hi,

Not sure exactly what to say except this. I do not understand why it is necessary to assign any kind of derisive adjective to whatever lump of iron is installed in the engine bay of one of our cars.

Wait, I take that back. On a few occasions I have stood over one of my cars and uttered, well maybe it was a little louder than utter, multisyllabic expletives at an overheated, perhaps ventilated, less than pristine Ford engine. But that is not what I mean.

There is no need to disparage anyone's choice of power plant particularly when the rule set that driver is adhering to allows the driver to choose from more than one engine manufacturer. As drivers and car owners we all have choices available to us. And what we need to remember that we are making this choice in order to have some fun. We are not curing cancer or protecting life and liberty; we are supposed to be doing something that is fun.

Perhaps the comments above were made in jest and just some trash talk which can be a very entertaining and interesting aspect to our sport. If that is the case; then let's just take it that way. If that is not the case; then it is unfortunate and unnecessary.

The RCFFS was formed for one purpose; generating large fields of FF & CF race cars and drivers looking to have a good time doing something that has no value and is at the same time something that we all place an incalculable value upon. That's it.

So, please take a look at what is being offered and if you like what you see please join us. All are welcome. So let's keep it civil.

Joe Marcinski
    1977 Royale RP24 Quicksilver Kent Club Ford
    Last edited by Joe Marcinski; 03.13.16 at 9:24 PM. Reason: not a good editor

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information