Liked: 8

Default F1 Star -Daniel Ricciardo presents trophies

Sunday 13 December was the day that Daniel Ricciardo attended the Perth Speed Fest the with his 2011 championship winning Red Bull car. The Speed Fest is a cavalcade of all things motor sport in Western Australia to celebrate all forms of racing. Red Bull Racing attendance was the draw card for the event.

AUS F1000 is in it's infancy in Australia and to help lift it's profile we contacted Daniel's dad 12 months ago to see if the local boy would support a trophy (in his name) to present to the overall winner of the AUS F1000 series.

This was achieved on Sunday with Daniel making time to visit the F1000 boys at their display. For those that follow Daniel in F1 I can vouch that what you see is what you get. He is a great ambassador for motor sport and Australia.

Daniel presented the perpetual trophy to inaugural 2014 State Championship winner Stewart Burns (2010 JKS) and also to Ben Riley as the 2015 State Championship winner (Silver 2008 Stohr).

Perth, Western Australia is the only state in Australia that has a dedicated State Championship for F1000. It looks to blossom further in 2016 as there is talk of 2 brand new cars for the season and the likelihood of further cars being bought from the USA and UK. Naturally we hope that this then spreads to the other states and becomes a National category. There are 3 cars in each of South Australia and Queensland that compete in a multi category event so the word is getting out.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC131744.jpg 
Views:	236 
Size:	109.4 KB 
ID:	57650   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	speed fest_6.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	87.6 KB 
ID:	57651   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	speed fest_7.jpg 
Views:	257 
Size:	111.3 KB 
ID:	57652  

2. The following 7 users liked this post:

Liked: 273

That's weird, Stewart Burns is listed as driving a 2010 JKS....that is ex Alastair McEwans 2010 Phoenix F1K10 shown.

Great job guys.

Side note. The F1000 cars in Aussie land have to weigh in at I believe 1100 lbs and they must have a functioning reverse.

Formula Pacific:
    Some of you old Atlantic guys probably remember the Formula Pacific series. Be cool if F1000 turned out like that. Be really cool to go down there and race. Any of you remember the movie Smash Palace?

Bathurst is on my bucket list.
    Last edited by ghickman; 12.16.15 at 9:44 PM.
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

4. The following 3 users liked this post:

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Bathurst

You and me both!

Liked: 273

With the strong US dollar heck I'd do a rent a ride for Bathurst. Place is badass like 4 miles of city street around a mountain only raced once a year or something like that.

With the weak Aus currency not so good for car sales from USA. They're in a recession from what I'm told.
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Liked: 9

Default Bathurst

Its stepper than TV suggests too

Liked: 1

No open wheel cars at Bathurst this coming year. Closest you'd get is an Aussie Racing Car at Easter....sort of an uprated Legend....there's a few guys leasing drives. Usually takes a few events to become accustomed to the driving style required.

They do love their bump drafting up there though too - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7sZ3u4lJm3E

Liked: 8

Default Bathurst

Hi Gary, Stewart won the State Championship in the JKS in 2014 then we bought Alistair's car for 2015. We chose to have the photo with Daniel Ricciardo with the Phoenix as it was carrying the number 1 plate for this year. This allowed me to finally drive the car I bought 2 years previously (JKS) as junior now has the better car - things we do for our children!!

In regards to Bathurst - it is a public road for 50 weeks of the year. There are 2 race meets where it gets closed down, the 12 Hour Enduro (early February) and V8 Super Car round (traditionally 1st weekend in October). We took the Formula Vee there several years ago and spent a season's budget on freighting the cars from Perth, air fares and accommodation but it was worth it. It certainly is a lot steeper than TV shows but just an iconic track. I admire the V8 drivers as to drive 1.75 ton of car around a track built for normal road speed of 60KPH is absolutely amazing.

If you were ever to come to Australia to race then I would suggest that while Bathurst is top of the list to also look at Phillip Island (near Melbourne). F1000 around there would be awesome as it is a full aero track with long straights and fast flowing corners. Hopefully as the category grows in Australia we will get the opportunity to race there in the next few years.

Cheers,

Derek

Thread Information